Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2003, 08:27 AM   #1
muddy4x4man
CF Newbie

How can i legalize a 91 or so skyline in the U.S. ?

I have looked for info but i can't find it. Might anyone know ??
Old 07-02-2003, 12:34 PM   #2
57ock
CF Addict

Yep

http://www.skylinegtr.com/
look up Q&A section
Old 07-03-2003, 12:45 AM   #3
muddy4x4man
CF Newbie

Can you tell me a few of the things ?? I dont understand y there not legal in the U.S. If i know how thay are not legal i might be able to buy on from a freind. Please help me understand. :?
Old 07-03-2003, 03:01 PM   #4
57ock
CF Addict

I don't know what the US laws are. But I have heard u can get Skylines in the US. And there are a few webpages that advertise skyline imports for US
Old 07-03-2003, 07:26 PM   #5
84_Jetta_GLi
CF Enthusiast

ive heard of companys that export skylines with left hand drive conversions for use as street vehicals and the price was refered to in dollers, so im guessing they where going to north america. The only reason i could see them being illegal would be things like emmisions, but japan has stricter emmision laws than NA, so i dont see that being it. Safety would'nt be to big of a factor really. i dont think it would be because of too much horsepower? because its not like theres any domestics put out 300+ stock. I dunno maybe ive gotten it right in my rambling maybe not. just give it a day and vwhobo will prolly answer it lol he allways seems to.

You don't "drive" a car, you "wear" it like clothes.

You can't race a house, but you can sleep in a car

R.I.P ~ Betsy (1988-2003)
84_Jetta_GLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 01:22 PM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84_Jetta_GLi
ive heard of companys that export skylines with left hand drive conversions for use as street vehicals and the price was refered to in dollers, so im guessing they where going to north america. The only reason i could see them being illegal would be things like emmisions, but japan has stricter emmision laws than NA, so i dont see that being it. Safety would'nt be to big of a factor really. i dont think it would be because of too much horsepower? because its not like theres any domestics put out 300+ stock. I dunno maybe ive gotten it right in my rambling maybe not. just give it a day and vwhobo will prolly answer it lol he allways seems to.

Thanks for the vote of support but.... I think the link 57ock gave about four posts up covers it pretty well. No need for me to type what somebody can click to.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 02:11 PM   #7
57ock
CF Addict

Quote:
The only reason i could see them being illegal would be things like emmisions, but japan has stricter emmision laws than NA, so i dont see that being it.

Only in the last 12 months (there abouts) the emmission laws have changed in Japan.
Skylines producted before the new emission laws are powered by the Rb series motor. Which don't meet the Japanese emission laws. So Nissan has been forced to end production of that motor. The Sr series also had the axe.

RB series motor dates back to the L series motors. Bit of a dinosaur. But a proven reliable power plant.
Old 07-08-2003, 02:30 PM   #8
57ock
CF Addict

Quote:
iSafety would'nt be to big of a factor really.

I have no idea about US laws. But in Australia all cars have to be fitted with double impact bars in the doors. Double stitch seat belts. etc.

I know in japan this isn't required. But the Import yards in the US would know what to do.

r33 GTR will sell for around 30,000 USD in Australia. That's after the compliance. V spec 2 will sell for around 40k?
R33 GTSt Type M here go for around 14,000 USD
R32 GTSt for around 8,000 or less USD

One other thing you have to be careful with is the fuel you use. Skylines run fine on 98 octance fuels. But any less can be a problem. In Japan they run 100 octane fuels.

Running 92 Octane fuels may cause engine pinging. Which will destroy your motor.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:51 PM   #9
rstifle3000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57ock
Only in the last 12 months (there abouts) the emmission laws have changed in Japan.
Skylines producted before the new emission laws are powered by the Rb series motor. Which don't meet the Japanese emission laws. So Nissan has been forced to end production of that motor. The Sr series also had the axe.

RB series motor dates back to the L series motors. Bit of a dinosaur. But a proven reliable power plant.

so your tellin me a skyline is illegal thanks to emissons but a ford GR-1 witha fricken 5.6 V10 is llegal
rstifle3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 05:39 PM   #10
Bino
Written Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstifle3000
so your tellin me a skyline is illegal thanks to emissons but a ford GR-1 witha fricken 5.6 V10 is llegal

Holy crap, it has NOTHING to do with the displacement of the motor... seriously.

Also, way to pick a big motor... the Viper is an 8.3L V10... and it's emissions legal.

The Skyline is not legal for U.S. roads for reasons like lack of bumper cover support (the structure behind the front and rear bumpers), the glass is of a different standard than that required in the U.S.... etc, etc. I did a bunch of research once-upon-a-time, but have forgotten most of the relevant details.

Also, I have never heard of an actual company that will do LHD conversions on a Skyline, to my knowledge the only LHD Nissan Skylines are those imported into Saudi Arabia. A Saudi Arabian company did a LHD conversion on these cars using the dashboard out of some other Nissan (Maxima perhaps?). To my knowledge this company no longer does this conversion.