Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-28-2005, 11:45 PM   #1
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire
 
Pythias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ohio, U.S.
Posts: 1,831
Need info on a 94' Firebird 3.4 li conversion to 3.8

Hey I still got this firebird and I was thinking about possibly putting in a little bit of a better engine in it before I try to sell it. It is a 94' but I was wondering what all it would entail to put a 3.8li engine in it of the 95's and up. Since it is a 6cyc I would not expect that much changing but what all would I need? New car computer? How much would the labor be to have this done and where could I have this done at? I'm going to have to get rid of this but as of right now theres somethin messed up with the intake leaking something to the engine, I will get all the details tomorrow so I cna be more accurate. I'm just wondering what all a conversion from a 3.4li to a 3.8 would entail.
__________________
"Though I drive through the valley of rice,I shall fear no turbo for torque art with me. Thy rod and piston, they comfort me."

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 01:39 AM   #2
Oomba
Banned
 
Oomba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,137
You may need to change everything that touches the engine, or nothing. Not sure. You'd be better off just selling it as-is, because alot of potential buyers dont know the difference between a Inline 6 and a V6. Those are the people that get V6 F-bodys, for the most part (no offense).
Oomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 02:22 AM   #3
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire
 
Pythias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ohio, U.S.
Posts: 1,831
New question... it has a pretty big engine bay (of course its a pontiac) how much would I be lookin at to swap somethin like a 440 in there of course engine engine mounts, tranny, but what else? Main reason why im askin about puttin a different engine in it is because The 600-800 possibly more dollars imma put into it is just for the engine, and of course for all that much i could put a new one in it. So someone please give me some advice other then jsut selling it as is.
__________________
"Though I drive through the valley of rice,I shall fear no turbo for torque art with me. Thy rod and piston, they comfort me."

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 02:35 AM   #4
GonnaDie4TheGov
CF's Only Jersey Boy
 
GonnaDie4TheGov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mays Landing, NJ
Posts: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oomba
You may need to change everything that touches the engine, or nothing. Not sure. You'd be better off just selling it as-is, because alot of potential buyers dont know the difference between a Inline 6 and a V6. Those are the people that get V6 F-bodys, for the most part (no offense).

I touch engines...do i need to be replaced?
__________________

2001 Honda K-1 Accord Attack
GonnaDie4TheGov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 08:17 PM   #5
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire
 
Pythias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ohio, U.S.
Posts: 1,831
I asked some of my friends about this and so far i have gotten Engine, engine mounts, suspension, fuel injectors, rear axle, transmission, prolly gears too.

BTW I realize all this will costs a good amount, not sure yet but a good amoutn im sure, and I would rather do this than get a new car.
__________________
"Though I drive through the valley of rice,I shall fear no turbo for torque art with me. Thy rod and piston, they comfort me."

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."

Last edited by Pythias : 09-29-2005 at 08:47 PM.
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 09:03 PM   #6
glagon1979
daddy x3
 
glagon1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: back in Williamson, NY
Posts: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
I asked some of my friends about this and so far i have gotten Engine, engine mounts, suspension, fuel injectors, rear axle, transmission, prolly gears too.

BTW I realize all this will costs a good amount, not sure yet but a good amoutn im sure, and I would rather do this than get a new car.

just find a donor firebird with a V8 and do the swap. just make sure the engine is what you want before you do the swap. you shouldnt need to swap out the gears. they should be around the 3.73-4.10 ranger because its a V6 car. don worry about strength, the original 7.5 rear end will hold up. i have an 81 monte carlo with the same rear end, and im pushing 400hp. that is an easy swap and recomend it over the 3.8 swap
__________________
this forum is to dead to share a cool sig with everybody....
glagon1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 09:26 PM   #7
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire
 
Pythias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ohio, U.S.
Posts: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by glagon1979
just find a donor firebird with a V8 and do the swap. just make sure the engine is what you want before you do the swap. you shouldnt need to swap out the gears. they should be around the 3.73-4.10 ranger because its a V6 car. don worry about strength, the original 7.5 rear end will hold up. i have an 81 monte carlo with the same rear end, and im pushing 400hp. that is an easy swap and recomend it over the 3.8 swap

Still need suspension upgraded and the other things I mentioned tho right? Also from what I have heard tune ups on V8 Firebird are expensive and if I could put an old muscle car engine in there that wouldn't be necessary to drop the engine out for a tune-up would it? I may do that tho find a donor V8 firebird. Whatever I do I won't get another 6 it will be a V8
__________________
"Though I drive through the valley of rice,I shall fear no turbo for torque art with me. Thy rod and piston, they comfort me."

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.