Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2004, 05:52 PM   #46
R34RB30DETTV
CF Model & Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Hmm. Is that enough information to start with?
you left out that you love typing..

Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop that does it...
R34RB30DETTV AKA Sam - Vice-President, Director, Manager and Recruiter of the unofficial vwhobo fan club
Original Members: Snoope, SJ, Cliffy, STiMan, Satty, Integra_LS, Sam. (If you still want to join, send me a PM )
R34RB30DETTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 07:34 PM   #47
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by R34RB30DETTV
you left out that you love typing..

Nawww. hate it, actually. I just didn't grow up in a sound bite world. And I type fast enough that it doesn't take long to do (though I do tend to have more typos these days...).

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 07:59 PM   #48
R34RB30DETTV
CF Model & Maniac

Quote:
Nawww. hate it, actually. I just didn't grow up in a sound bite world. And I type fast enough that it doesn't take long to do (though I do tend to have more typos these days...).
Yeah, I do too.. i expect most people do.. i would open a poll n ask but Iím not sad enough to.. Maybe someone else will.. lol.. you seem like a very informed man so Iíll ask you a question thatís been on my mind lately.. as you may have read in one of the above posts by me, Iím studying automotive eng
at collage right now, but soon i want to move onto uni and then a perspective job. However i have been doing research on the matter and i now realize that there are many different way i can approach doing this. the university prices are going up and Iím considering sponsorship. i wondered if you (or anyone else) knows of ways to get a good job and a good qualification? i.e. modern apprenticeÖ

R34RB30DETTV AKA Sam - Vice-President, Director, Manager and Recruiter of the unofficial vwhobo fan club
Original Members: Snoope, SJ, Cliffy, STiMan, Satty, Integra_LS, Sam. (If you still want to join, send me a PM )
Old 03-20-2004, 02:18 AM   #49
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Yeah, I do too.. i expect most people do.. i would open a poll n ask but Iím not sad enough to.. Maybe someone else will.. lol.. you seem like a very informed man so Iíll ask you a question thatís been on my mind lately.. as you may have read in one of the above posts by me, Iím studying automotive eng
at collage right now, but soon i want to move onto uni and then a perspective job. However i have been doing research on the matter and i now realize that there are many different way i can approach doing this. the university prices are going up and Iím considering sponsorship. i wondered if you (or anyone else) knows of ways to get a good job and a good qualification? i.e. modern apprenticeÖ

To be honest, I started out as an apprentice at a vintage car restoration shop. I learned from guys that were building cars in the same manner that they had been built originally, with metalworking, etc. Often they had to precisely replicate a body part that simply didn't exist anymore. Or fabricate a chassis or mechanical part that didn't exist. While fairly basic, you DO learn a lot, especially about craftsmanship.

You have a number of old time panel beating and car fabrication shops there in England. I would say start seeking them out, visiting them, and see about becoming an apprentice at one that does the work you're interested in learning about. A crash shop, while giving you some of the same basic metallurgy knowledge, won't give you the real learning that a good fabrication shop will. A lot of crash shops simply do shoddy work. They have to, as they can't make any money doing a detailed, quality repair, as the average crash customer just wants their car back now at a low cost (or the insurance only pays a set amount for a quick repair).

The best would be to find a race shop that has an apprentice program.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 08:20 PM   #50
GMC8100
CF Newbie

I really like this thread. Here's a little about myself:

I'm 20/m. I study Information Systems 3rd year. I love soccer (fav team Barcelona). I also love cars obviously. But I must confess I don't know much when it comes to engine tuning,suspension, etc..

The car I currently drive is my parent's '03 GMC SUBURBAN (yukon xl) 8.1 L
I picked the car and I love the car so much to the extent that I told my father I don't want the Audi A4 he promised me anymore. He's getting tired of giving me $50 gas money every week lol.
I

my family's rides r:
1) my dad's '96 Cadillac Deville Concours
2) our driver's '03 Mercury Grand Marquis
3) my brother's '00 chevy lumina( holden commodore)
4) my ride.

Any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited by GMC8100 : 03-23-2004 at 08:49 PM.
GMC8100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 10:14 PM   #51
R34RB30DETTV
CF Model & Maniac

Quote:
To be honest, I started out as an apprentice at a vintage car restoration shop. I learned from guys that were building cars in the same manner that they had been built originally, with metalworking, etc. Often they had to precisely replicate a body part that simply didn't exist anymore. Or fabricate a chassis or mechanical part that didn't exist. While fairly basic, you DO learn a lot, especially about craftsmanship.

You have a number of old time panel beating and car fabrication shops there in England. I would say start seeking them out, visiting them, and see about becoming an apprentice at one that does the work you're interested in learning about. A crash shop, while giving you some of the same basic metallurgy knowledge, won't give you the real learning that a good fabrication shop will. A lot of crash shops simply do shoddy work. They have to, as they can't make any money doing a detailed, quality repair, as the average crash customer just wants their car back now at a low cost (or the insurance only pays a set amount for a quick repair).

The best would be to find a race shop that has an apprentice program.
Thanks... I'm taking a gap year next year to try and gain some more practical experience. It's all very well them teaching me all this theory stuff but there is little practical work done at collage, thank god Iíve been working on cars/tractors/lorries/bikes etc. my whole life because some of the boys there have absolutely no idea when it comes to the practical application of skills because they have had no experience. I am trying to get some sort of apprenticeship at Brands Hatch because I know a few people there and itís a good reputable race track.. Hey, vwhobo, how did you start out?

Old 03-25-2004, 04:24 PM   #52
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

I think my life story has pretty well been covered in his forum. Suffice it to say I grew up in the shops of my father and his friends sweeping floors and helping build and maintain race cars. I also spent most of my weekends at places like Road America, Wilmont, Blackhawk Farms (my father helped build it), Meadowdale, Daytona, Sebring, PBIR, Lakeland, Road Atlanta, etc. You get the idea.

The main reason I'm even posting this is to use my newest toy that I finally broke down and bought. For those of you who just can't live without knowing what I look like, here I am... 25 or so years ago.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 04:45 PM   #53
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Here are two somewhat more recent pics. The first is me in my autocross car at Blackhawk Farms. The second is one of my street Bugs in California.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 03-25-2004, 09:27 PM   #54
R34RB30DETTV
CF Model & Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Here are two somewhat more recent pics. The first is me in my autocross car at Blackhawk Farms. The second is one of my street Bugs in California.
Cool.. Any more?

Old 03-25-2004, 09:59 PM   #55
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Cool.. Any more?
Well, if I were you I wouldn't hold my breath.

Old 03-25-2004, 11:29 PM   #56
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Lets see:
Yall know my age and such already. I have loved cars and have wanted to learn more about them for as long as I can remember. I go to a Private School here in Dallas and when I turn 16 I will get a '99 Toyota Camry CE (already got it, it also wasnt my choice). My favorite band is Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, and well...I think that is it...
StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 06:17 AM   #57
lectroid
0000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiMan
Lets see:
Yall know my age and such already. I have loved cars and have wanted to learn more about them for as long as I can remember. I go to a Private School here in Dallas and when I turn 16 I will get a '99 Toyota Camry CE (already got it, it also wasnt my choice). My favorite band is Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, and well...I think that is it...

16 and a Tom Petty fan? I will have to re-think a few of my opinions of the younger generation
Old 03-26-2004, 02:48 PM   #58
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lectroid
16 and a Tom Petty fan? I will have to re-think a few of my opinions of the younger generation
What can I say? "I was born a Rebel!"

Old 03-26-2004, 09:43 PM   #59
SuperJew
I like pie.

is your private school coed? if its not i feel sorry for ya. kind of.

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 09:54 PM   #60
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJew
is your private school coed? if its not i feel sorry for ya. kind of.
Coed...ooo...ya!