Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2006, 05:20 PM   #1
NueKitsune
CF Newbie

94 Ford Tempo Grinding Noises

I was hopeing someone could give me an idea where I can look to find the problem. My car makes this grinding noise while driving and gets faster or slower depending on the speed my car is travelling. I'v put the car in park and pressed the gas, don't hear the noise, and while making a turn, I get a chattery/clinking noise, so basically its only while my car is in motion do I hear any noises. Any ideas where I can look for the problem? Thanks in advance. ^.^
NueKitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:27 PM   #2
davsmitty
CF Addict

Could be anything from the tranie, axle, or brakes. Have someone stand outside the car while you drive SLOWLY by and see if they can tell where the sound is coming from (Left/Right Front/Back. It could just be some crap in between you brake rotor and pad. If it is your brake(s), just pull off the wheel(s) and turn the rotor by hand to check it. Hope that it is the brake and not you tranie, or axle. Brakes are cheap and easy to fix/replace.
Best of Luck.
davsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:50 PM   #3
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NueKitsune
I was hopeing someone could give me an idea where I can look to find the problem. My car makes this grinding noise while driving and gets faster or slower depending on the speed my car is travelling. I'v put the car in park and pressed the gas, don't hear the noise, and while making a turn, I get a chattery/clinking noise, so basically its only while my car is in motion do I hear any noises. Any ideas where I can look for the problem? Thanks in advance. ^.^
The "chattery" or "clicking" noise you describe sounds like it's a CV (Constant Velocity) joint, these are covered with rubber boots and require grease in them. If the CV boot splits and looses it's grease, it would have this clicking effect whenever you steer left or right, usually on sharp locks of the steering wheel!

The grinding sounds like it could be one or more wheel bearings, as the noise you describe sounds as if that's the most likely cause! So really, it's more than likely two faults rather than just the one. Take it to a garage, especially with that clicking noise, as if left too long the drive shaft in concern (where the CV joint conects to) could lock up in worst case scenario!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote