Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2005, 04:27 AM   #1
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot
 
SlipKnoT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wichita, Kansas
Posts: 1,066
Ultimate Japanese Sleeper!

Ok, I had this kiler idea to take a 1989 Toyota Corolla DX, and swap in the engine and transmisson from a new 2006 Mazdaspeed6 which makes 274 hp, 280 lb-ft torque. You wouldnt even really need to mod this engine, and if you want to bump the hp up a bit, just swap in a K&N high flow filter, and move the turbos psi up. What do you guys think? Good idea or what?
__________________
1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo [Projekt Redline]
Mods: Airbox delete w/ K&N cone, hollowed cat, Fidanza short throw.
HOW FAST!?...we'll find out this summer.

SlipKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 04:32 AM   #2
99integra
CF's Florida boy
 
99integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 6,099
What happened to the Saturn
__________________
Current whip: walking
99integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 04:41 AM   #3
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipKnoT
Ok, I had this kiler idea to take a 1989 Toyota Corolla DX, and swap in the engine and transmisson from a new 2006 Mazdaspeed6 which makes 274 hp, 280 lb-ft torque. You wouldnt even really need to mod this engine, and if you want to bump the hp up a bit, just swap in a K&N high flow filter, and move the turbos psi up. What do you guys think? Good idea or what?

Awful idea.

A. The swap would be incredibly hard knowing nobody has ever mated a new 2.3T MAzda engine with an old Toyota.

B. You would definatley have to beef up the stock FWD tranny that the non turbo 2.3 Mazda 6 uses for use, and again, a bunch of fabrication involved.

C. The power would be too much for the front wheels of a 2200lb corolla.

D. Availablility of the new 2.3T is well, non-exsistent.

E. Cost, with all the fabrication and other labor/parts costs...you're looking at something over the $10,000 range.

and finally...

F. With all the time/effort/money thrown into that, all you have is an old Corolla DX with a lot of power to the front wheels. That cant outhandle or accelerate a cheaper stock Z32 300ZXTT.
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 04:48 AM   #4
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
It's a pretty good idea, but as thunderbird1100 said, very expensive...Go to a junkyard and get an 89 Corolla DX, but instead of the Mazdaspeed, get some other engine actually available there, and put it in, just to see if it would happen
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 05:04 PM   #5
fudge
let's fighting love
 
fudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,003
I'd rather stick in a 4AGZE or a 20V with the 6 speed box from an AE111 front clip.
__________________
fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 05:10 PM   #6
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot
 
SlipKnoT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wichita, Kansas
Posts: 1,066
Ok thunderbird, there are a couple of things I dont agree with there....

1. You said that it would be too much power to the front wheels for a 2200lb car.

To me thats like saying a drag modified CRX has to much horsepower. I could modify it for that if I needed to and beef up the front end for that kind of power. I would just need to find a front axle and transmission that can handle substantial amounts of power.

2. The way I see it, is that I could go one of 2 ways with this car. I could turn it into a drag car, or I could use it as a road track racer. If I was to modify it for road racing, Im pretty sure that that big ol' 300ZXTT wouldnt be able to keep up with a little Toyota Corolla with 274hp that weighs under 2000lbs.
__________________
1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo [Projekt Redline]
Mods: Airbox delete w/ K&N cone, hollowed cat, Fidanza short throw.
HOW FAST!?...we'll find out this summer.

SlipKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 05:17 PM   #7
fudge
let's fighting love
 
fudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,003
If any of you watch Hot Version American Touge you'll see that a 220hp Civic(EG) can lap around the Horse Thief Mile course at Willow springs faster than a 400hp NSX.
__________________
fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 07:45 PM   #8
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipKnoT
Ok thunderbird, there are a couple of things I dont agree with there....

1. You said that it would be too much power to the front wheels for a 2200lb car.

To me thats like saying a drag modified CRX has to much horsepower. I could modify it for that if I needed to and beef up the front end for that kind of power. I would just need to find a front axle and transmission that can handle substantial amounts of power.

2. The way I see it, is that I could go one of 2 ways with this car. I could turn it into a drag car, or I could use it as a road track racer. If I was to modify it for road racing, Im pretty sure that that big ol' 300ZXTT wouldnt be able to keep up with a little Toyota Corolla with 274hp that weighs under 2000lbs.

You can take away the too much power for the front wheels but then you add in something else in its place. MORE money spent in making the vehicle setup right to handle the power... You're talking new suspension, new front axle with LSD etc...

As for your #2, you sure could, but then again there goes even MORE money into this project. No one in their right mind would spend $15k-$20k on making an '89 corolla into a high performance vehicle, espeically knowing it would still only perform with a lot of high performance vehicles that havent been touched with modifications.

Point is, this is just a very VERY bad and dumb idea. No matter what way you slice the bread.
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 09:41 PM   #9
Accord_Man
CF Addict
 
Accord_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 345
I think something along the lines of what slipknot said could be a good idea. Remeber thunderbird, this is supposed to be a sleeper. A 300ZX wouldn't really be considered a sleeper. And I don't think an 89 corolla would seem like a fast car to people, so the idea works.
__________________
Accord Man

Accord_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 10:14 PM   #10
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accord_Man
I think something along the lines of what slipknot said could be a good idea. Remeber thunderbird, this is supposed to be a sleeper. A 300ZX wouldn't really be considered a sleeper. And I don't think an 89 corolla would seem like a fast car to people, so the idea works.

My 300ZXTT is quite a sleeper by most people. ONly mods on the outside that give it away are the lower stance and Volk wheels. No body mods. But yet the engine sure is huffing along with at least 400 crank hp.

Why spend that much money on such a POS car just to make it what you define as a "Sleeper"?
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 10:15 PM   #11
Spencer
CF Enthusiast
 
Spencer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 126
Arrow

Too much power too the front would shaft you hard.
__________________
Passat V6 Four Motion.
Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 03:59 AM   #12
HyundaGuy
Relicensed n ready 2 race
 
HyundaGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Adelaide, SA, Australia
Posts: 674
personally, i think that the best sleeper would be a '94 Hyundai excel with a worked 4G63T in it, they can produce extreme power level's, the car's are under-rated and they're fairly light.

also, they have a fairly good concept for a race car, suprisingly, korea made an exceptional vehicle for cheap fun.
__________________



If i still owned an excel.. It'd look like this:

HyundaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 04:32 AM   #13
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot
 
SlipKnoT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wichita, Kansas
Posts: 1,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyundaGuy
personally, i think that the best sleeper would be a '94 Hyundai excel with a worked 4G63T in it, they can produce extreme power level's, the car's are under-rated and they're fairly light.

also, they have a fairly good concept for a race car, suprisingly, korea made an exceptional vehicle for cheap fun.
Im just not a big fan of Korean cars. What about a 1978 Toyota Celica with a TT Supra engine?
__________________
1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo [Projekt Redline]
Mods: Airbox delete w/ K&N cone, hollowed cat, Fidanza short throw.
HOW FAST!?...we'll find out this summer.

SlipKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 08:07 AM   #14
HyundaGuy
Relicensed n ready 2 race
 
HyundaGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Adelaide, SA, Australia
Posts: 674
what about a toyota 2000gt with a twin turbo 1uzfe?
__________________



If i still owned an excel.. It'd look like this:

HyundaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 08:48 AM   #15
ahoo
CF Addict
 
ahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: G-Field Auckland NZ
Posts: 379
at first i was thinking AE86 with 20v but im not sure you guys want that. try some mitsi ummm *thinks of mitsubishi that aint overrated* ummm an old lancer?
__________________


It's not cheating...............It's studying during the exam
ahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.