Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2005, 04:27 AM   #1
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

Ultimate Japanese Sleeper!

Ok, I had this kiler idea to take a 1989 Toyota Corolla DX, and swap in the engine and transmisson from a new 2006 Mazdaspeed6 which makes 274 hp, 280 lb-ft torque. You wouldnt even really need to mod this engine, and if you want to bump the hp up a bit, just swap in a K&N high flow filter, and move the turbos psi up. What do you guys think? Good idea or what?

SlipKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 04:32 AM   #2
99integra
CF's Florida boy

What happened to the Saturn
Old 10-09-2005, 04:41 AM   #3
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipKnoT
Ok, I had this kiler idea to take a 1989 Toyota Corolla DX, and swap in the engine and transmisson from a new 2006 Mazdaspeed6 which makes 274 hp, 280 lb-ft torque. You wouldnt even really need to mod this engine, and if you want to bump the hp up a bit, just swap in a K&N high flow filter, and move the turbos psi up. What do you guys think? Good idea or what?

Awful idea.

A. The swap would be incredibly hard knowing nobody has ever mated a new 2.3T MAzda engine with an old Toyota.

B. You would definatley have to beef up the stock FWD tranny that the non turbo 2.3 Mazda 6 uses for use, and again, a bunch of fabrication involved.

C. The power would be too much for the front wheels of a 2200lb corolla.

D. Availablility of the new 2.3T is well, non-exsistent.

E. Cost, with all the fabrication and other labor/parts costs...you're looking at something over the $10,000 range.

and finally...

F. With all the time/effort/money thrown into that, all you have is an old Corolla DX with a lot of power to the front wheels. That cant outhandle or accelerate a cheaper stock Z32 300ZXTT.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 04:48 AM   #4
chris_knows
๑۩۞

It's a pretty good idea, but as thunderbird1100 said, very expensive...Go to a junkyard and get an 89 Corolla DX, but instead of the Mazdaspeed, get some other engine actually available there, and put it in, just to see if it would happen
Old 10-09-2005, 05:04 PM   #5
fudge
let's fighting love

I'd rather stick in a 4AGZE or a 20V with the 6 speed box from an AE111 front clip.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:10 PM   #6
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

Ok thunderbird, there are a couple of things I dont agree with there....

1. You said that it would be too much power to the front wheels for a 2200lb car.

To me thats like saying a drag modified CRX has to much horsepower. I could modify it for that if I needed to and beef up the front end for that kind of power. I would just need to find a front axle and transmission that can handle substantial amounts of power.

2. The way I see it, is that I could go one of 2 ways with this car. I could turn it into a drag car, or I could use it as a road track racer. If I was to modify it for road racing, Im pretty sure that that big ol' 300ZXTT wouldnt be able to keep up with a little Toyota Corolla with 274hp that weighs under 2000lbs.

Old 10-09-2005, 05:17 PM   #7
fudge
let's fighting love

If any of you watch Hot Version American Touge you'll see that a 220hp Civic(EG) can lap around the Horse Thief Mile course at Willow springs faster than a 400hp NSX.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:45 PM   #8
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipKnoT
Ok thunderbird, there are a couple of things I dont agree with there....

1. You said that it would be too much power to the front wheels for a 2200lb car.

To me thats like saying a drag modified CRX has to much horsepower. I could modify it for that if I needed to and beef up the front end for that kind of power. I would just need to find a front axle and transmission that can handle substantial amounts of power.

2. The way I see it, is that I could go one of 2 ways with this car. I could turn it into a drag car, or I could use it as a road track racer. If I was to modify it for road racing, Im pretty sure that that big ol' 300ZXTT wouldnt be able to keep up with a little Toyota Corolla with 274hp that weighs under 2000lbs.

You can take away the too much power for the front wheels but then you add in something else in its place. MORE money spent in making the vehicle setup right to handle the power... You're talking new suspension, new front axle with LSD etc...

As for your #2, you sure could, but then again there goes even MORE money into this project. No one in their right mind would spend $15k-$20k on making an '89 corolla into a high performance vehicle, espeically knowing it would still only perform with a lot of high performance vehicles that havent been touched with modifications.

Point is, this is just a very VERY bad and dumb idea. No matter what way you slice the bread.

~Blow your mind~

Old 10-09-2005, 09:41 PM   #9
Accord_Man
CF Addict

I think something along the lines of what slipknot said could be a good idea. Remeber thunderbird, this is supposed to be a sleeper. A 300ZX wouldn't really be considered a sleeper. And I don't think an 89 corolla would seem like a fast car to people, so the idea works.

Accord_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 10:14 PM   #10
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accord_Man
I think something along the lines of what slipknot said could be a good idea. Remeber thunderbird, this is supposed to be a sleeper. A 300ZX wouldn't really be considered a sleeper. And I don't think an 89 corolla would seem like a fast car to people, so the idea works.

My 300ZXTT is quite a sleeper by most people. ONly mods on the outside that give it away are the lower stance and Volk wheels. No body mods. But yet the engine sure is huffing along with at least 400 crank hp.

Why spend that much money on such a POS car just to make it what you define as a "Sleeper"?

~Blow your mind~

Old 10-09-2005, 10:15 PM   #11
Spencer
CF Enthusiast

Arrow

Too much power too the front would shaft you hard.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:59 AM   #12
HyundaGuy
Relicensed n ready 2 race

personally, i think that the best sleeper would be a '94 Hyundai excel with a worked 4G63T in it, they can produce extreme power level's, the car's are under-rated and they're fairly light.

also, they have a fairly good concept for a race car, suprisingly, korea made an exceptional vehicle for cheap fun.

If i still owned an excel.. It'd look like this:

HyundaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 04:32 AM   #13
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyundaGuy
personally, i think that the best sleeper would be a '94 Hyundai excel with a worked 4G63T in it, they can produce extreme power level's, the car's are under-rated and they're fairly light.

also, they have a fairly good concept for a race car, suprisingly, korea made an exceptional vehicle for cheap fun.
Im just not a big fan of Korean cars. What about a 1978 Toyota Celica with a TT Supra engine?

Old 10-11-2005, 08:07 AM   #14
HyundaGuy
Relicensed n ready 2 race

what about a toyota 2000gt with a twin turbo 1uzfe?

If i still owned an excel.. It'd look like this:

HyundaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 08:48 AM   #15
ahoo
CF Addict

at first i was thinking AE86 with 20v but im not sure you guys want that. try some mitsi ummm *thinks of mitsubishi that aint overrated* ummm an old lancer?

It's not cheating...............It's studying during the exam
ahoo is offline   Reply With Quote