Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2005, 11:07 PM   #1
Nissan_Altima
Biggest anti-post whore

Car Lowering

I posted this in the other thread, but it didn't get an answer so I decided to try again. I was thinking about lowering my car 2" (sometime in the future). Instead of just paying for a kit and then new suspensions, why not obtain something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-01...QQcmdZViewItem

Would it work out or ruin my alignment badly like my friend said? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

PS I know the bidding ended, but I'll find it somewhere else for a close price
Nissan_Altima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 11:22 PM   #2
Bino
Written Off

It's just a substitute for lowering springs. You could go that way, there's not really any strong reason not to. It will change your alignment, but it doesn't matter what kit you buy, you're going to have to get your alignment fixed. Lowering any vehicle, in any manner, changes the alignment.

Do some research on your vehicle, some vehicles will require a special alignment kit when lowering. My car for instance, generally can use the factory alignment hardware for up to 1.5" drop (or so), if the car is lowered around 2" then an aftermarket alignment kit must be purchased in order to get the alignment within the factory specs.

If your car requires the alignment kit when lowered 2", it doesn't matter in which manner you lower your car; it will require that kit to bring the alignment back to factory spec.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:22 PM   #3
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

First off, whenever you lower a car, you need to reset the alignment, but it's not THAT hard to do. Secondly, I did some checking on those cheap coilover kits, and a lot of grassroots racers are using them (including engineers who are usually quite picky about what goes on their cars), and they seem to work ok. No catastrophic failures under hard use.

But, I'm still leery of buying through ebay stores like that...

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 11:44 PM   #4
Nissan_Altima
Biggest anti-post whore

Thank you very much. Very helpful! One last question. My friend told me that I will have to fix my alignment every couple of months after this is done. Is this true? I think that after the original alignment fix, it should be fine for some time.
Nissan_Altima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 12:36 AM   #5
Bino
Written Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan_Altima
Thank you very much. Very helpful! One last question. My friend told me that I will have to fix my alignment every couple of months after this is done. Is this true? I think that after the original alignment fix, it should be fine for some time.

You should stop listening to your friend. He is very UNknowledgable about this subject apparently.

No, you should not need an alignment any more frequently than normal.