Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2004, 03:17 PM   #1
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Nissan 240SX Information Request

Could someone please tell me about the Nissan 240SX? I'd mainly like to know how many generations there are and what years they cover, what engines they have and roughly how the specifications differ? If I type "Mk1 Nissan 240SX" into "Google" then it brings up sites that include a newer 240SX along with a "Ford Cortina Mk1" or a "Toyota MR2 Mk1" There's obviously plenty of other sites that "Google" selects that are useless to me e.g Japanese Car Parts, Bodykits For Nissans, "Johnny's 7000bhp V12 240SX Homepage" etc I did stumble upon a site that told me some performance statistics but do all 240SXs have 2.4 16v, (hence the "240", yeah I know) naturally aspirated engines or do some have single turbochargers? Is the 240SX still being built? What I don't get is why it was needed when there was already the 200SX and the 300ZX, or is it a naturally aspirated/turbocharged thing I ask about specification levels because some sites have mentioned types of 240SX like a "3dr hatchback SE"; to me it makes it sound more like it's in the same class as a Honda Civic than a sports coupe like a 200SX.
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 08:32 PM   #2
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Nissan 240SX, could you help me in this thread at all? I'd really appreciate some information.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:34 AM   #3
Vassar
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopewite
Could someone please tell me about the Nissan 240SX? I'd mainly like to know how many generations there are and what years they cover, what engines they have and roughly how the specifications differ? If I type "Mk1 Nissan 240SX" into "Google" then it brings up sites that include a newer 240SX along with a "Ford Cortina Mk1" or a "Toyota MR2 Mk1" There's obviously plenty of other sites that "Google" selects that are useless to me e.g Japanese Car Parts, Bodykits For Nissans, "Johnny's 7000bhp V12 240SX Homepage" etc I did stumble upon a site that told me some performance statistics but do all 240SXs have 2.4 16v, (hence the "240", yeah I know) naturally aspirated engines or do some have single turbochargers? Is the 240SX still being built? What I don't get is why it was needed when there was already the 200SX and the 300ZX, or is it a naturally aspirated/turbocharged thing I ask about specification levels because some sites have mentioned types of 240SX like a "3dr hatchback SE"; to me it makes it sound more like it's in the same class as a Honda Civic than a sports coupe like a 200SX.

200sx.org
Vassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 04:37 AM   #4
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vassar

Oh...I almost killed that link...but it was in the form of an answer...

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 05:56 AM   #5
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Hi snoopewite..I dont believe it's still in production infact I think Nissan stopped making it in '98 by that time it was a much larger car and IMHO a better one at that, it was always fitted with RWD and I also think it was a Turbo charged car and not N/A although this could be wrong, I hope this has helped ya! I think the 240SX was the same car bar the engine as the 200SX but I guess you already know that right? was this not also known as the Silvia in Japan? Oh and the 200 series is a much different car to the 300 series the main aspect being power..the 300ZX had more of it

PS, dont knock Cortinas..classic cars they are lol

Last edited by Cliffy : 03-04-2004 at 06:00 AM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 08:59 AM   #6
jzxTT
CF Addict

http://klohiq.tripod.com/cars/240sx/swap.html
hopefully that helps. That sire has info on different 240sx engine swaps. These guys have swapped all sr20det's (S13 S14 S15).(the sr20det is an import engine and WELL worth having if you own a 240sx, to hell with the Ka[opinion])
The S13 i beileve is an older 240sx with flip-up head lights, the S14's are the models without flip-up head lights (94-98).(I might be wrong with this one so dont quote me) The S15 model (BADASS!!) was 99-up in japan. Nissan stopped production of the 240sx in 1998, i dont know why though. I think that the S13 14 and 15 are all different as far as horsepower. I know the S15 sr20 has ~250hp stock!! Thats incredible for a 4cyl engine. If i were you i would definently look into a 240sx, 240's are awsome cars and easy to tune (dont quote me on that either). To this day if I run across one for sale I WILL buy it... but I love my Z soo much . But i dought it, Ive see very few 94-98 around.
p.s. theres also the 180sx (SilEighty) when modded they do look pretty badass

Last edited by jzxTT : 03-04-2004 at 09:02 AM.
jzxTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 10:52 PM   #7
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I think the 240SX was the same car bar the engine as the 200SX but I guess you already know that right?

I had my suspicions.

Quote:
was this not also known as the Silvia in Japan?

I don't know This topic isn't exactly straight forward is it? It's no wonder that nobody touched this straight away. At least I think that I now understand why the Americans in here recommend 240SXs to people while I've been recommending 200SXs.

Quote:
Oh and the 200 series is a much different car to the 300 series the main aspect being power..the 300ZX had more of it

I know the difference between the 200SX and the 300ZX but what I was saying is that I see no reason for an in-between car. The 240SX isnít actually an in-between car though because itís just a variation of a 200SX. Cliffy, do you ever feel out of it amongst these other lads when they're talking about Mitsubishi Acuras, Shelby Jupiters, Hemi Rattlesnakes etc?

Quote:
dont knock Cortinas.

I wasnít knocking Cortinas, I was just giving examples of how I was getting search results that werenít relevant (apart from the Mk1) to what I was looking for. I've not got a problem with old Fords

Thanks for the help Cliffy.

jzxTT, I might have problems finding a 240SX I just wanted some insight you see. The information that you told me definitely helped. The link was also interesting, especially the costs of engines and installations.

Vassar, thanks for the link to that site that's dedicated to the Silvia, 200SX, 180SX and 240SX.

The help is much appreciated you three
Old 03-05-2004, 11:53 PM   #8
jzxTT
CF Addict

No problem . The Silvia and the 240sx are the same car, one has lhd and one has rhd, and one has the KA and one has the SR. So when someone says a silvia is better they're basically saying lhd and/or the sr20 is better.

theres a pic of my friends sweet 1989 240
he won it on ebay then modded the Sh!t out of it. You should look on ebay for a 240, thats the only good place to buy one if you like shopping on ebay.

Last edited by jzxTT : 03-05-2004 at 11:57 PM.
jzxTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 12:20 PM   #9
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Cliffy, do you ever feel out of it amongst these other lads when they're talking about Mitsubishi Acuras, Shelby Jupiters, Hemi Rattlesnakes etc?

I wasnít knocking Cortinas, I was just giving examples of how I was getting search results that werenít relevant (apart from the Mk1) to what I was looking for. I've not got a problem with old Fords

Thanks for the help Cliffy.

The help is much appreciated you three
No probs snoope, always glad to TRY and help , Yes, I do feel left out when these guys talk about Acura's, Hemi's etc..I dont have a clue about US cars and I think the last time I saw an Eclipse was in August of '99 or on Gran Turismo 2 lol..I jump for joy when I see people asking for help UK spec cars in the 'Repairs' section . I know you weren't knocking Cortinas, I was just kiddin' lol...they're quality cars especially the old MK5's
Old 03-06-2004, 02:22 PM   #10
jzxTT
CF Addict

If you plan on modding, and want solid performance, you wont be dissapointed in an sr20 powered 240sx.
Old 03-06-2004, 07:38 PM   #11
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Quote:
I dont have a clue about US cars and I think the last time I saw an Eclipse was in August of '99 or on Gran Turismo 2 lol..I jump for joy when I see people asking for help UK spec cars in the 'Repairs' section

I also wonder if these Americans appreciate how many older cars they have, while we Brits hardly ever see classic cars from the '70s or even '80s in pristine condition on our roads... there was a mint Cortina that I used to see not far away from where I used to work though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzxTT
The Silvia and the 240sx are the same car, one has lhd and one has rhd, and one has the KA and one has the SR. So when someone says a silvia is better they're basically saying lhd and/or the sr20 is better.

Thanks again. I'm a lot happier with what I know on this subject now. I was never planning on buying a 240SX although I do like it.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:41 AM   #12
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
I also wonder if these Americans appreciate how many older cars they have, while we Brits hardly ever see classic cars from the '70s or even '80s in pristine condition on our roads... there was a mint Cortina that I used to see not far away from where I used to work though.
I know what you mean, I remember back in about 1990 or something, there was a Mk5 Cortina on every street corner...especially on council estates lol and all '80's cars over here now seem to be rust buckets can you imagine having a late 60's early 70's car over here in mint condition (Like they have in the states) without being restored? it wouldn't happen lol. One of my car's is an '86 Toyota Corolla with 50,000miles on the clock and I think it's the cleanest 80's car I've ever seen......Bring back the 80's!!!
Old 03-11-2004, 05:17 PM   #13
CypherXero
CF Newbie

I have a '93 Nissan 240SX SE. Here's a photo I took of mine:
CypherXero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 09:20 PM   #14
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Nice car CypherXero. What's with the paint at the front? Are you going to swap the wheels or leave them as they are?
Old 03-15-2004, 03:39 PM   #15
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Quote:
What's with the paint at the front? Are you going to swap the wheels or leave them as they are?

Do we have any advance on 6 posts from CypherXero or is he going, going, gone