Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2004, 09:01 PM   #1
nccowboy
CF Newbie

engine stalls....will not stay running

I am a 29 year old female with an 82 Ford van.
When driving the vehicle, it takes off good, then bogs down and stalls. When you try to crank it, it just turns over without starting. After waiting for a period of about 10 minutes and tapping on the carburator, it finally cranks and makes it a little further before bogging down and stalling again.

THINGS I HAVE TRIED:

1.) Changed the coil.
2.) Changed spark plugs and wires
3.) Rebuilt the carburator three times....(set float at 7/16 with 1 1/2 in drop)
4.) Changed the fuel pump.
5.) Changed the fuel filter (one beside the carburator).....ended up taking
this fuel filter out and hooking it directly to the carburator.
6.) A gravity test (Gas in a bottle with the gas line stuck in it) helped the
van run as long as there was gas in the bottle)
7.) the lower in-line fuel filter (under the driver's seat or near it) was clogged so I cleaned it out.
8.) I have taken a hose with 100 lbs. of pressure and stuck it in the gas tank to blow it out. **I also did this with the fuel line removed from the fuel pump and gas came out of it.....so gas IS getting through.**
9.) I took off the gas tank, pulled out the filter, drained it, cleaned it as best as I could (still little bits of rust in the bottom of it).....put it back on and filled it up with gas.
10.) one of the fuel lines was rotten so I replaced it.

Even with all this, the van still stalled out on a test drive. I am out of solutions. Noone seems to know the problem. If anyone out there knows anything that could help, please PLEASE share the knowledge. I am begging, lol.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Liz
nccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 09:41 PM   #2
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

I must say, you seem to give a lot of information on what you did...I can hardly take the fuel filter off my car(s) alone.

Post more of your personal info in the Introduce Yourself forum...it would be interesting to read.

For now...Welcome Liz

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 10:10 PM   #3
cmeseadoin
CF Freak

stalling out

Greetings and welcome,

Please stop by the intro room when you can!

Ok, I have a 1968 Chrysler 300 Convertible with a 440CI and 4bbl Holley carb. that I am working on for a friend right now, SAME problem. The car will idle all day long and then when you put it under load, she boggs down and eventually quits. After waiting a few minutes, she'll fire back up and regain normal operation until the next time I place it under load. MANY things came to mind, first and foremost, FUEL DELIVERY. Your problem is screaming fuel delivery to me. Starts, runs, loads up and dies, sits for a few and then recranks only to do it again.

You have not told us the specific model of the van and what engine it has. What carburetor is on it and how many bbls(barrels or venturi). Going from the info. you gave which is MORE than most, I am going to make a few suggestions on what I did to troubleshoot.

First thing I did was I got the car to act up and then while I was in a dead/no crank scenario, I tested for spark to make certain I was firing my
plugs. I was. I then told myself, well, if I am firing my plugs, I have compression and I have an intrinsically good engine, then the only thing missing from the equation is fuel. I decided that (while still in an engine cranking with NO starting timeframe) I would spray wd-40 (EXCELLENT for testing for fuel problems because of it's volatility) into the carb and she if she'll fire. Sure enough she fired when this was done. I had just determined that this was not my ignition system, rather my fuel system. Originally I thought I could pooooossibly have an ignition problem and the only way was for the coil to be shorting out when hot causing this. Hence, the test for spark. A coil tends to eventually go out though, and this was going on and on.

So now I know my fuel is the problem, but where is it. I blew all the lines out from the connection at the fuel pump to the carb. Still a problem. Decided that the easiest way to proceed was to eliminate the ENTIRE fuel tank and lines. I went and bought a 5 gallon marine fuel tank(for safety and proper gasoline venting) from a boat supply dealer and about 16 feet of 3/8 fuel hose,hooked the fuel line to the supply line on the fuel pump mounted on the side of the engine and the other end to the tank in the passenger floorboard with the tank full of gasoline. (just like your bottle design only this was more permanent so I could drive it a ways.) What do you know, the engine runs fine, my suspect theory all along. Rust and debris in the tank causing blockages in the lines somewhere!! Off came the tank and sent out west to be rebuilt (this tank is not manuf. by anyone in this country according to what I have found). I am replacing all of the lines and it runs like a top.

I want you to try something. Get the van in a no-start situation....when you crank it and it will not restart at that time, FULLY depress the accelerator to the floor while cranking and see if that helps at all to get it to restart. The carb should be adjusted correctly so that this will not flood the engine, infact this is the procedure to follow should the engine become flooded. You have a slight deflection in the throttle butterfly (not venturi plate) when you are in "foot to the floor" mode to allow air in. This action will give the engine extra fuel, if it is getting to the carb, to try and help start the engine......

From what you have told us, it seems that you have a similar issue. Line 6 in your post spells it. It ran fine with gasoline in the bottle. BOOM, there is your problem........good luck

Remember:Ignition: cylinder misfires, rough idle, hesitation on acceleration, erradic engine operation in general, sluggishness under load, backfiring caused by many factors in carb'd vehicle such as points slipping, timing off etc. COULD have a bad coil if it is totally not firing at ANY time, or if you are dying out when it gets hot and has to sit a while to recrank, BUT you will NOT have spark to the plugs at this time. The coil is shorted out. (sounds like you have eliminated this as an option.)

Fuel Delivery:: No start, long cranking before firing, die outs after load applied where no immediate restart is possible or excessive throttle depression is req'd to allow the engine to re-fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nccowboy
I am a 29 year old female with an 82 Ford van.
When driving the vehicle, it takes off good, then bogs down and stalls. When you try to crank it, it just turns over without starting. After waiting for a period of about 10 minutes and tapping on the carburator, it finally cranks and makes it a little further before bogging down and stalling again.

THINGS I HAVE TRIED:

1.) Changed the coil.
2.) Changed spark plugs and wires
3.) Rebuilt the carburator three times....(set float at 7/16 with 1 1/2 in drop)
4.) Changed the fuel pump.
5.) Changed the fuel filter (one beside the carburator).....ended up taking
this fuel filter out and hooking it directly to the carburator.
6.) A gravity test (Gas in a bottle with the gas line stuck in it) helped the
van run as long as there was gas in the bottle)
7.) the lower in-line fuel filter (under the driver's seat or near it) was clogged so I cleaned it out.
8.) I have taken a hose with 100 lbs. of pressure and stuck it in the gas tank to blow it out. **I also did this with the fuel line removed from the fuel pump and gas came out of it.....so gas IS getting through.**
9.) I took off the gas tank, pulled out the filter, drained it, cleaned it as best as I could (still little bits of rust in the bottom of it).....put it back on and filled it up with gas.
10.) one of the fuel lines was rotten so I replaced it.

Even with all this, the van still stalled out on a test drive. I am out of solutions. Noone seems to know the problem. If anyone out there knows anything that could help, please PLEASE share the knowledge. I am begging, lol.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Liz
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 10:48 PM   #4
nccowboy
CF Newbie

More info from Liz

It is a 1982 Ford Van 300 6-cylinder. It has a single barrel carb.

I have already replaced one of the gas lines because it was rotten.
I will be getting a new gas tank tomorrow.

Thanks so much for the advice

I will post here tomorrow evening to let ya know how things are going

pe@ce,
Liz
nccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 12:39 AM   #5
lectroid
0000?

I have gone through the exact same situation that you have described, only with a 73 LTD 460cid. I replaced fuel filter, pump,and carb.I blew out the lines, pulled the tank,cleaned it and the pickup tube filter best I could, reinstalled, same crap. Removed gas tank again, removed pickup filter, reinstalled tank, problem GONE. Made trip to local parts store for pickup filter "we can't get them" I just threw it away, they said I didn't need it anyway, evidently they were right. Maybe you can get one at your parts store. Hope this will work for you
Old 03-04-2004, 12:43 AM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Do ya suppose this is just one of those cases I always talk about. People spending money, brainlessly replacing parts in hopes of fixing the problem instead of diagnosing and repairing. Russian Roulette at it's finest.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 12:51 AM   #7
lectroid
0000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Do ya suppose this is just one of those cases I always talk about. People spending money, brainlessly replacing parts in hopes of fixing the problem instead of diagnosing and repairing. Russian Roulette at it's finest.

Your'e damn right, but this was in 1976
Old 03-04-2004, 12:55 AM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lectroid
Your'e damn right, but this was in 1976
I meant her. Which also makes me suspicious. How does being "a 29 year old female" enter into the online diagnosis and repair of the van?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 03-04-2004, 01:04 AM   #9
lectroid
0000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
I meant her. Which also makes me suspicious. How does being "a 29 year old female" enter into the online diagnosis and repair of the van?

Yes, and WHY??? did she not get flamed for no introduction, fellows ?
Old 03-04-2004, 01:29 AM   #10
SuperJew
I like pie.

sex sells. i suppose.

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 02:31 AM   #11
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by lectroid
Yes, and WHY??? did she not get flamed for no introduction, fellows ?

The last time I flamed someone...they left the forum immediately...not that I care...but when a "woman" comes on...it is a bit out of the ordinary...and it was interesting that she supposedly did all this work on her van...I still mentioned the Introduce Yourself forum...but I tried a different tactic...

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 04:14 AM   #12
cmeseadoin
CF Freak

Liz

No problem Liz, you're welcome. One thing you'll notice on here is when you post something, you'll get many people that start talking BS once you've gone, LOL, me included at times. HAHA Just work with us here. Honestly, I think you did a great job with what YOU did yourself to the van and knew enough to tell us about it. Let me know what you think, and I KNOW you've replaced much of the fuel lines and whatnot, but I really think the problem is fuel......Try and troubleshoot before replacing parts as VWHOBO so pointedly mentioned, LOL, but sometimes you have to try things. Let me know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
The last time I flamed someone...they left the forum immediately...not that I care...but when a "woman" comes on...it is a bit out of the ordinary...and it was interesting that she supposedly did all this work on her van...I still mentioned the Introduce Yourself forum...but I tried a different tactic...

2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:16 PM   #13
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:

pe@ce,
Liz
Liar. Another case of someone getting what they want and never being seen again which is why I didn't get involved with this one from the git go. From now on if people want my advice maybe they should make a deposit to my PayPal account first.

Old 03-17-2004, 04:22 PM   #14
cmeseadoin
CF Freak

Well, she thanked me for the advice BUT after writting that dissertation that I did giving her more useful information than any of the rest of you, I would love to know if the van is now running which she did NOT come back and tell us. That's my issue with the whole thing so if anyone in here would like to know what the outcome was, um...I think it would be me.

Quote:

pe@ce,
Liz

Old 03-17-2004, 04:26 PM   #15
cmeseadoin
CF Freak

Paypal

I'll NOW BE ACCEPTING CASH PAYMENT TO MY PAYPAL ACCOUNT FOR MY WRITE UP ON THIS ONE, ......I like that idea and damn!