Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2004, 10:11 PM   #1
Pharcyde
CF Newbie

Question Buying first car, need any help i can get

Well, I recently started looking at cars in the Tucson, Phoenix area of Arizona. I really dont know what to look for, I have around $5000-5500 to spend at the moment and I'm just looking for something sporty, and pretty much looks good. I see a lot of differences in some of these cars I have been looking at and it has become very, very hard for me to make up my mind.

Anyways, I have been looking at Eclipse, Older Lexus cars, and A LOT of Hondas, well really I hav been looking at EVERYTHING . Anyways is there any suggestion on to what I should look for in a price range? I just want something that will last me awhile without breaking down constantly, and something that LOOKS good. If anyone could give me any tips to what I should be looking at it would be greatly appreciated. I am willing to travel to buy a car if it is the right one.

Thanks!

Last edited by Pharcyde : 02-22-2004 at 10:14 PM.
Pharcyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 11:57 PM   #2
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

89-94 Nissan 200SX - it's a RWD, turbocharged coupe that should be reliable for its age.
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 04:56 AM   #3
rharri
CF Newbie

go edmunds.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharcyde
Well, I recently started looking at cars in the Tucson, Phoenix area of Arizona. I really dont know what to look for, I have around $5000-5500 to spend at the moment and I'm just looking for something sporty, and pretty much looks good. I see a lot of differences in some of these cars I have been looking at and it has become very, very hard for me to make up my mind.

Anyways, I have been looking at Eclipse, Older Lexus cars, and A LOT of Hondas, well really I hav been looking at EVERYTHING . Anyways is there any suggestion on to what I should look for in a price range? I just want something that will last me awhile without breaking down constantly, and something that LOOKS good. If anyone could give me any tips to what I should be looking at it would be greatly appreciated. I am willing to travel to buy a car if it is the right one.

Thanks!

I just bought a 95 Mit.Eclips 5spd. Bad move. I never had it looked at by a mechanic. It looked good and my son wanted it so I bought it. 2 transmissions later and bad brakes and electrical problems have made me a believer in spending $50 to $100 for a pre-buyer inspection. Worth EVERY penny. Don't believe anyone except an unbiased mechanic and a reputable one. Don't ever let the seller know how much you have to spend. Go to Edmunds.com and read the info on "How to buy a car" basically tells you the in's and out's of what to look for and look out for. ALWAYS know all the information on the car your looking at before you start to deal. Go to NADA and Kelly Blue book to get all the pricing info you need. ASK lots of questions and don't settle for less that what you want. Don't be in a hurry or impulsive.
I waited for 5 months to find the truck I wanted and got it for what I wanted to pay because I had all my info before going in to deal.
READ READ READ and ASK ASK ASK questions. You'll be glad you did. Be an inform buyer!
RHarri7007@alo.com
rharri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 08:31 AM   #4
larman210
CF Newbie

Hi

i think you should get a 1993 infiniti j30, pretty reliable. just think about ur needs and also the pricing.
larman210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 12:48 AM   #5
Integra_LS
CF Enthusiast

If you're into tuners, this is what I did (And help from some very good friends, I did almost none of the work, but trust me I paid). I found a wrecked 94 acura integra LS. All body damage, the engine and tranny were in good shape, with only around 70,000 miles(Pretty damn good for a 94) I bought it and let it sit in my driveway for awhile, it was cheap at 1000$. Anyways, at this point in time I was looking for a 92 and up civic hatchback shell, well after no luck, I found a BARELY running black acura integra rs, 1994 also for only 2500$. Nice coincidence. I drove the RS until the tranny finally started giving me trouble, and I shattered the clutch racing a civic(Quite embarassing). Anyways, I paid my good friend Ross to help me build my car. His dad owns a shop, where they had an engine puller and all the other goodies. I can't say I did much work on the car (practically NONE. I am pretty freaking dumb when it comes to cars) The bill for the engine and tranny swap was insane. 3,500$. I ended up Spending around 5,500 on my car. Although it is not the nicest car on the block. It still has the RS badges, and it has made me some money off of civic dx's :-). If you have the connections try and find scraps, build your own car :-).
Integra_LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 02:21 PM   #6
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Pharcyde must think that he doesn't need to acknowledge the replies to his question because he already said "Thanks!" at the end of his one post. In that case, his "Thanks!" must also thank me for calling him dickless, pussy-faced, dick-riding, shit-eating beiatch!
Old 03-05-2004, 04:56 PM   #7
67Pony
CF Newbie

If youre into the cheaper import scene, Id go with the stereotypical choice:the Honda Civic. Theyre reliable as hell, great gas mileage, easy to work on because the motors so tiny. More importantly getting a hold of performance parts is REALLY easy for this car, and on average cheaper. Also, finding Honda mechanics to work on the problems you cant do on your on is really easy as well, no matter where you are in the country.
67Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 05:05 PM   #8
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

67pony, who are you addressing? Is it Pharcyde
Old 03-05-2004, 05:13 PM   #9
67Pony
CF Newbie

Yeah Pharcyde, he is the the one that started the thread asking for advice, right?
67Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 05:30 PM   #10
Vaspier
CF Newbie

Yes, but it's also been a while since he did. I doubt he is looking at this anymore.

Embrace the Dart.
Vaspier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 12:32 AM   #11
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Old 03-08-2004, 10:58 PM   #12
karburator
CF Spain HQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rharri
[...] Don't believe anyone except an unbiased mechanic and a reputable one. Don't ever let the seller know how much you have to spend. Go to Edmunds.com and read the info on "How to buy a car" basically tells you the in's and out's of what to look for and look out for. ALWAYS know all the information on the car your looking at before you start to deal. Go to NADA and Kelly Blue book to get all the pricing info you need. ASK lots of questions and don't settle for less that what you want. Don't be in a hurry or impulsive.
I waited for 5 months to find the truck I wanted and got it for what I wanted to pay because I had all my info before going in to deal.
READ READ READ and ASK ASK ASK questions. You'll be glad you did. Be an inform buyer!
RHarri7007@alo.com

You are right

Pharcyde, do you mean you can find that kind of cars for less than $6000???
In Europe it wouldn't be possible unless it were in really bad conditions.

It cannot be so difficult. The instruction manual will tell me which pedal is the 'velocitator' and which one is the... 'deceleratrix' (by Mr. C.M. Burns)
May God bless those who have nothing to say and, furthermore, they keep quiet (by someone)

Last edited by karburator : 03-08-2004 at 11:02 PM.
karburator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 11:30 PM   #13
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by karburator
You are right

Pharcyde, do you mean you can find that kind of cars for less than $6000???
In Europe it wouldn't be possible unless it were in really bad conditions.

Unfortunately Pharcyde has not been back since his first post...your question may be falling on deaf ears. Pharcyde--->

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 11:35 PM   #14
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Old 03-08-2004, 11:37 PM   #15
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopewite