Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2004, 10:12 AM   #1
jzxTT
CF Addict

How exactly do you drift?????

I've been interested in drifting. I was wondering if anyone knew exactly how to drift. I was at this one website that helped a little but not a lot. Im not talking about a handbrake drift thought. As far as i know you only use your handbrake in a drift to position it better ( like if your not sliding at the right angle). But how do you get into a drift?? Do you just stomp the brake real quick and then quickly floor it?? going into the turn would i be shifting to a lower gear or a higher?? I dont get it .... how does your car start drifting? And while in a drift what do you do to maintain the drift? is the clutch in or out? help!
p.s. i have a 400rwhp 300zx twinturbo. should i look into dampers or coilovers??
jzxTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 02:53 PM   #2
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

go to ebay, and buy the drift bible... itle tell you most anything youle need to know about drifting. and if you want to, download/ or buy some "video option" movies. and just watch how its done
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 11:55 PM   #3
jzxTT
CF Addict

will do, thanks . But if anyone has any info please do share.
Old 03-05-2004, 03:58 AM   #4
Z-man_Dan
CF Newbie

Here are a couple of good sites:

http://velocity.isfaster.com/drift/drift.htm
http://streetracing.tiora.net/japan/drift/drift1.htm

Also, I noticed that you mentioned that you have a nice 300ZX that you plan to drift. I would like to suggest a car that you do not hear of often when talking about drifting. Since a good drifting car is a light, front engine, RWD vehicle, preferable with tons of power, then the old 240Z would make for an awesome drifter. They are cheap, so you wouldn't be devastated if you dented it, they only weigh 2200 lbs, and most of them already have the 280ZX motor in them (extremly common).

I have had several 240Z's and they are naturally loose in the goose. You would have no problem gettin' her loose.

Just some food for thought.
Z-man_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 04:00 AM   #5
jzxTT
CF Addict

Z-man.. ur the shit
Old 03-05-2004, 10:23 AM   #6
Arthur
On Probation

how do you drift? On a closed track.
Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 06:18 AM   #7
Hoxviii
CF Newbie

Since you have RWD drifting can be done ALOT easier than using the e-brake. Leave that to pulling 180*'s and the FWD crowd. Come into a corner, bump the brake, downshift, nail the gas, dump the clutch. Practice in a big empty parking lot or a closed course. If you wanna get real serious about it look into getting a spool or a TIGHT LSD. . .

Justin
Hoxviii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 07:30 PM   #8
R34RB30DETTV
CF Model & Maniac

also look into suspesion setups specifically for drifting.. i.e stiff front and soft rear suspension, also note that the tyres should be harder at the front and softer rear to enable the car to get the back-end to stay out for longer...

Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop that does it...
R34RB30DETTV AKA Sam - Vice-President, Director, Manager and Recruiter of the unofficial vwhobo fan club
Original Members: Snoope, SJ, Cliffy, STiMan, Satty, Integra_LS, Sam. (If you still want to join, send me a PM )
R34RB30DETTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 02:24 PM   #9
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

also be sure that you have replacement part money available... if youre running with stock parts, they like to give out sometimes...
but one this i would advise, for the beginning drifters (such as myself(ive just done a lot of research)) start with the ebrake, then work on getting into the corner and giving it all the gas you can to try and get sideways. after that, you can try the feint drift,before hitting the corner, slightly turn the other way with out the accellerator, then steer back and floor the gas... this should probably get the car to turn sideways, from there on out, just countersteer, and give it enough gas to keep the drift, and not loopout.

i got all that from the "Best Motoring - Drift Bible"

Last edited by mazda6man : 03-22-2004 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:21 PM   #10
Inygknok
El del Supra

to be completely honest, power is really not much of a necessity in drifting, n thats the truth. yea sure, some extra power would be handy, just dont need to overdo it. suspension and reliability r the most important things, n here is why. when drifting, u need to shift the weight of the car to the front, then u downshift, not upshift, since u need the car to give as much power as possible during a drift, or atleast enough to keep itself pushing throughout the turn. in every case, the car just needs to keep revving itself pretty high, so the internals r very important. also, u step on teh gas to come out of the turn, not during the turn. while in the turn, u just need to maintain a stable speed, or as close to it as possible. if u need to angle urself to take the corner a bit tighter, then u brake lightly, like a short tap. and if u need to angle urself not to take the corner tightly, then u step on the gas a bit more. all in all, its all about the proper countersteering and patience and being very tacht (sp?), u just cant go punching the gas and brakes when drifting, u have to be quite gentle.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 11:23 PM   #11
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inygknok
to be completely honest, power is really not much of a necessity in drifting, n thats the truth. yea sure, some extra power would be handy, just dont need to overdo it. suspension and reliability r the most important things, n here is why. when drifting, u need to shift the weight of the car to the front, then u downshift, not upshift, since u need the car to give as much power as possible during a drift, or atleast enough to keep itself pushing throughout the turn. in every case, the car just needs to keep revving itself pretty high, so the internals r very important. also, u step on teh gas to come out of the turn, not during the turn. while in the turn, u just need to maintain a stable speed, or as close to it as possible. if u need to angle urself to take the corner a bit tighter, then u brake lightly, like a short tap. and if u need to angle urself not to take the corner tightly, then u step on the gas a bit more. all in all, its all about the proper countersteering and patience and being very tacht (sp?), u just cant go punching the gas and brakes when drifting, u have to be quite gentle.
Well, there's thread revival for you!

Anyways, I can asure you, I'd rather have power than desent suspension!....surely the turquoise bit I quoted you on is a slight controdiction too?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 07:42 AM   #12
Inygknok
El del Supra

as much power as possible meaning to drag itself around the turn, preferrably its own maximum power or as close to it as needed, not 900rwhp to overspin the hell out of itself throughout the turn. if u check how much power the really good drifters have their cars producing, u will see that they are actually quite moderate and normal, not big power figures found. most of the big power drifting cars are either for show use, like in the D1 competition when they go around n just burn their tires till they run on their rims like the RS-R team does at the end sometimes. thats wat i meant with that phrase.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 02:23 PM   #13
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

id rather have suspension... all i need is 120 ponies and im good (remember im in a light car)

Old 06-04-2004, 04:27 PM   #14
decap66
CF Newbie

300zx is an easy car to drift. It has a wide body, low center of G, and light rear end with plenty of power. I feel jelous because my 91' 300zx dosn't have turbos....yet. Even though i can drift it pretty good in a parking lot with regular performance tires, slick are way expensive. I just like to play here and there. I can break it loose by just tapping the throttle going around the corner most of the time.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:44 PM   #15
R34RB30DETTV
CF Model & Maniac

Correct me if i'm wrong but a EVO VII would be really easy/fun to drift due to it's AYC?

Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop that does it...
R34RB30DETTV AKA Sam - Vice-President, Director, Manager and Recruiter of the unofficial vwhobo fan club
Original Members: Snoope, SJ, Cliffy, STiMan, Satty, Integra_LS, Sam. (If you still want to join, send me a PM )
R34RB30DETTV is offline   Reply With Quote