Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2005, 06:14 AM   #1
zspeed280
CF Newbie

01 cavy head work

was curious if you guys knew what kind of gains i would get on a 2001 sohc head? im gonna pull one from a junk yard and port and polish it..
Im not looking for serious gains because i just road race it...also its a four door

also, would an older z24 motor *one or 2 years older* fit? as in a straight swap?

thanks,
David
zspeed280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 02:26 PM   #2
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zspeed280
was curious if you guys knew what kind of gains i would get on a 2001 sohc head? im gonna pull one from a junk yard and port and polish it..
Im not looking for serious gains because i just road race it...also its a four door

also, would an older z24 motor *one or 2 years older* fit? as in a straight swap?

thanks,
David
Why not get a DOHC and get more power?
Old 10-25-2005, 06:41 PM   #3
zspeed280
CF Newbie

if i went and got a dohc i would have to pay more money for the motor..i can pick up a head for real cheap
Old 10-25-2005, 06:50 PM   #4
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Well port and polish is not particularly good for you car, and plus you are going to be street racing in a Cavalier you dumbass, its an economy car. Now get that boy racer shit outta your head and either not race at all or race with the SCCA or off the streets
Old 10-25-2005, 07:00 PM   #5
bigdaveangell
CF Addict

If you went with a z24 motor it would be the 2.4 which is a DOHC engine. Do you even know how to port and polish a head. If youve never done it before dont. Its easy to screw up. A port and polish will give you some gains but if your pulling the head off why not have some valve work done.
bigdaveangell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 04:39 AM   #6
zspeed280
CF Newbie

well, 99teg...i dont street race how bout that? i dont live where there is a lot of street racing..i live with mountains all around me..SOOO i like to race it that way, maybe i should have explained a little more for you?

If i pulled the head i may upgrade the cam for some low end.... then i could upgrade the exhaust and maybe a little on the fuel..and that should get some low end..If i bump the compression up.
Another thing, i wouldnt do the port myself, i have a friend that has a machine shop and i would just have him do it. The port wouldnt be too much involved just basically a clean up.

Im not looking for a huge gain, just something that could help pull me out of a corner a little faster since im an auto..

If i cam across a DOHC for a fair price, i would snag it up

Thanks,
David

Also, i have a 280z that is my real project, but i just want to put a little umph in my daily driver. Also, i know i could put that money in my z, but since i have a little extra, why not?

Last edited by zspeed280 : 10-26-2005 at 04:43 AM.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:04 AM   #7
bigdaveangell
CF Addict

If its your daily driver and you just want some extra power the P&P would help. If youre not spending alot of money try some bolt ons like an exhaust, header and intake
bigdaveangell is offline   Reply With Quote