Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2005, 05:56 AM   #1
HappyPuppy
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 36
2001 integra TUrbos!!! YAY!

As you all know if you read my last post i have bought an automatic integra 2001 with 28k. I have just bought a new gretty TURBO KIT! and its nice and shiNNY!! But now people are sayin that turbo sucks on auto and other say it rocks. What the **** is going on here?

Buick Grand National : Turbo automatic
Mitsubishi GSX : Turbo Automatic
some Nissan 300zx : Turbo Automatic
1987 Dodge shadow : Turbo Automatic

I have seen and driven in all of these and they ****ing rock so whatt he **** is worn with turbo in my car!?
HappyPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 05:57 AM   #2
6000LE
Banned
 
6000LE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 832
Well its preferable on a manual, but if you use the car in daily driving and want a more peppy ride without having to shift back and forth then its the way to go. Personally I have no problems with it. Just depends if the tranny can handle it. Manual are usually made a little stronger.
6000LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 07:57 AM   #3
V-Tec
CF's student post whore
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 797
no it should be fine. I am looking for integras as yoiu know and the one i test drove had a turbo on it. I live in Chicago where there is tons of snow and traffic so i am looking for an automatic. So this integra was an LS with some performance upgrades and a turbo. The turbo was great so your should be great. Is it Gretty or Greddy?
__________________
I always tell the truth,
even when i lie
V-Tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 08:13 AM   #4
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyPuppy
As you all know if you read my last post i have bought an automatic integra 2001 with 28k. I have just bought a new gretty TURBO KIT! and its nice and shiNNY!! But now people are sayin that turbo sucks on auto and other say it rocks. What the **** is going on here?

Buick Grand National : Turbo automatic
Mitsubishi GSX : Turbo Automatic
some Nissan 300zx : Turbo Automatic
1987 Dodge shadow : Turbo Automatic

I have seen and driven in all of these and they ****ing rock so whatt he **** is worn with turbo in my car!?

Just like to say the 1990-1996 300ZXTT did not come in Automatic. All were 5spd manual. Dont know about the 84-89 300ZX turbo though.
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 06:23 PM   #5
hondaman
I drive a Buick.
 
hondaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Somewhere in Alabama
Posts: 1,432
There is no problem with having a turbo or a supercharger on an automatic.
__________________
hondaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 06:28 PM   #6
HappyPuppy
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 36
Yeah i have the turbo and everything but im not exactly sure how it operates. I just have it put in and thats it? Or do i have to add more parts so that my car can operate safely with it?

Also i hear that in manual everytime you shift the blow off valve kicks in will that be a problem for me?
HappyPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 06:29 PM   #7
HappyPuppy
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 36
I also figured it would be better in a auto because i wont get strain on the rear axel from the wheels breaking loose.
HappyPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 10:07 PM   #8
Bino
Written Off
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Phoenix, Oregon, USA
Posts: 844
The Eclipse GSX was available as an automatic. The automatic versions are typically several thousand dollars cheaper than the manual transmission cars.
__________________
Build 'em Light and Wind 'em Tight.
Bino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 10:35 PM   #9
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire
 
PontiacFan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Grove City, PA
Posts: 1,332
What type of transmission you have makes no difference on whether the turbo will work or not. It will work just as good on each. Like someone said though, in alot of cases the factory automatic that comes on cars cannot handle all the power running through it. Whereas in the 3rd gen Camaros, the manual couldnt handle the power from the higher end 350ci engine, so its not thats always the case.
__________________
PontiacFan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 10:40 PM   #10
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire
 
PontiacFan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Grove City, PA
Posts: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyPuppy
Yeah i have the turbo and everything but im not exactly sure how it operates. I just have it put in and thats it? Or do i have to add more parts so that my car can operate safely with it?

Also i hear that in manual everytime you shift the blow off valve kicks in will that be a problem for me?

If you want to run high boost you're going to need to rebuild the engine. You need to know how much PSI the turbo runs at, if its high it would be a good idea to set it lower with a boost controller.

The blow off valve doesnt necessarily only go off when you shift, its whenever the turbo is pushing more air into the engine then their should be, for example when the engine is disconnected from the clutch when you shift and the rpms plummet, or when you let off the gas in general. It doesnt make any difference whether its a manual or not.
__________________
PontiacFan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 10:51 PM   #11
nsupra27
CF Enthusiast
 
nsupra27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bino
The Eclipse GSX was available as an automatic. The automatic versions are typically several thousand dollars cheaper than the manual transmission cars.

Other way around. Automatics are more expensive.
For example, the automatic option on the 06' Eclipse is $900 more.
__________________
nsupra27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 10:57 PM   #12
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire
 
Pythias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ohio, U.S.
Posts: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsupra27
Other way around. Automatics are more expensive.
For example, the automatic option on the 06' Eclipse is $900 more.

Depends on the car make and year... Surprisingly there ARE some manuals more expensive, eventhough an auto trans costs more.
__________________
"Though I drive through the valley of rice,I shall fear no turbo for torque art with me. Thy rod and piston, they comfort me."

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 11:20 PM   #13
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsupra27
Other way around. Automatics are more expensive.
For example, the automatic option on the 06' Eclipse is $900 more.

It's not an automatic though, it's a Manumatic. Some manufacturers offer auto trannies for nothing more but some do charge a $500-$1000 premium.
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 11:54 PM   #14
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire
 
PontiacFan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Grove City, PA
Posts: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
It's not an automatic though, it's a Manumatic. Some manufacturers offer auto trannies for nothing more but some do charge a $500-$1000 premium.

What was even the point of saying that? All he was saying was that the Automatics aren't standard fare on most cars. Bringing up that its really a manumatic, not an automatic, was a pointless waste of forum space.
__________________
PontiacFan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 12:18 AM   #15
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
What was even the point of saying that? All he was saying was that the Automatics aren't standard fare on most cars. Bringing up that its really a manumatic, not an automatic, was a pointless waste of forum space.

I know WTF his point was (jeeze nOObs...).

I was just correcting that the "automatic" tranny o nthe new Eclipse is not in fact an automatic, but a Sportronic/Manumatic (whatever Mitsubishi calls it). That was all. I wasn't acknowledging a point or trying to make one. Just CORRECTING a mistake. I ADDED to the point however though as well. BEcause some manufacturers do in fact not charge more for an automatic tranny but SOME do.

If correcting something that is false is a waste of forum space to you then you can go ahead and ignore 50% of the posts on these forums.
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~


Last edited by thunderbird1100 : 10-24-2005 at 12:20 AM.
thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.