Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2005, 09:24 PM   #1
Inygknok
El del Supra

Toyota Suprarreal...

Well, the waiting is almost finally done. I don't have my friend's magazine here for direct quotation, but I will post what my memory serves.

Toyota has been doing very damn well lately, and now they are about to do what they are known for doing best, the Supra.

After so many years of vacationing, they decided it was time to wake it up again to do its job as their flagship car. It is almost decided that they will discard the 4.5L V-10 for a more economical V6 3.5L, the same engine in the IS350. But that's not all, for they want to twin turbocharge the car to boost the already phenomenal 306hp.

To make their stand even firmer, Toyota is talking with Honda to buy their AWD technology, improve it, and install it into the new Supra, giving Nissan's ATTESA-ETS and Porsche's old PSK systems a run for their money.

Victory has never tasted better......

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 09:38 PM   #2
V-Tec
CF's student post whore

what magazine is tha from? I wanna read about it and maybe see some pics.
But otherwise this sounds great! I have always wanted the Supra to be brought back and now it might happen. Good thing u didn't say hybrid Supra like the other guy did on his thread. Cause the i would think that the world is just nuts. I also think that th eprelude should be brought back. Some may say well they have the civic and all that but i think they need to make a Prelude to be as good in performance as the STI/EVO. THat probably wont happen unless they make it RWD or AWD but i wanna see the Prelude come back.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:42 PM   #3
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inygknok
Well, the waiting is almost finally done. I don't have my friend's magazine here for direct quotation, but I will post what my memory serves.

Toyota has been doing very damn well lately, and now they are about to do what they are known for doing best, the Supra.

After so many years of vacationing, they decided it was time to wake it up again to do its job as their flagship car. It is almost decided that they will discard the 4.5L V-10 for a more economical V6 3.5L, the same engine in the IS350. But that's not all, for they want to twin turbocharge the car to boost the already phenomenal 306hp.

To make their stand even firmer, Toyota is talking with Honda to buy their AWD technology, improve it, and install it into the new Supra, giving Nissan's ATTESA-ETS and Porsche's old PSK systems a run for their money.

Victory has never tasted better......

I love the fact Toyota wants to buy the SH-AWD from Honda Seems to be standard fare these days to buy stuff from Honda from a lot of companies (coughGMcough).

I like the idea about the new Supra coming out, but I hope to every god they dont make it over $50,000. Which seems to be out of the question, since last I saw it was supposed to be a LExus model costing NEAR $100,000.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 12:12 AM   #4
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
I love the fact Toyota wants to buy the SH-AWD from Honda Seems to be standard fare these days to buy stuff from Honda from a lot of companies (coughGMcough).

I like the idea about the new Supra coming out, but I hope to every god they dont make it over $50,000. Which seems to be out of the question, since last I saw it was supposed to be a LExus model costing NEAR $100,000.

My guess is around.... 45k or so, give the Mustang a run for it's money if it isn't in an entirely different class and since the Mustang is projected around 35k I believe (Could be wrong, haven't checked the progress for quite sometime) I'll guess 45k possibly....

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 12:15 AM   #5
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
My guess is around.... 45k or so, give the Mustang a run for it's money if it isn't in an entirely different class and since the Mustang is projected around 35k I believe (Could be wrong, haven't checked the progress for quite sometime) I'll guess 45k possibly....

The GT500 (Cobra, or whatever they will call it) will cost near $40,000. At least that's what Ford said. I still dont see the new Supra coming anywhere near that price though. They said "near $100,000" last time. Plus back in the day Supas rang up $35k-$40k at dealers, a decade ago. Will definatley be more expensive than that.

I wish they did it this way.

3.5L N/A Supra - 306hp - $35,000.
3.5L TT Supra - 400hp - $45,000.

But I'm dreaming.

~Blow your mind~

Old 10-25-2005, 12:52 AM   #6
chris_knows
๑۩۞

My first car might be a Supra, but from like 1991, or probably earlier...unless I win the lottery
Old 10-25-2005, 01:24 AM   #7
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

I want another Inline 6. V6s are for American cars...
Old 10-25-2005, 02:15 AM   #8
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
The GT500 (Cobra, or whatever they will call it) will cost near $40,000. At least that's what Ford said. I still dont see the new Supra coming anywhere near that price though. They said "near $100,000" last time. Plus back in the day Supas rang up $35k-$40k at dealers, a decade ago. Will definatley be more expensive than that.

I wish they did it this way.

3.5L N/A Supra - 306hp - $35,000.
3.5L TT Supra - 400hp - $45,000.

But I'm dreaming.

I see, I remember the original pricing around 40k but I thought for some reason maybe it had dropped a little. And this supra will be expected to way much more? How much do you personally think it will be around? To me 100k seems WAY high I mean once you get into cars that high you talk about cars like the Viper and such. I realize this car will have a nice amoutn of power with twin turbo's and AWD but at the same time I couldn't see it being more than around 70k then.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 04:08 AM   #9
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
I want another Inline 6. V6s are for American cars...

If a 3.5L N/A V6 (new 306hp Lexus IS350) is already making MORE power than the 3.0L Twin Turbo I6 Supra did. I have no qualms about putting twin turbos on, ON TOP of that.

Since when did a V6 become American? All of the Japanese big three use V6's in the bread and butter sedans (3.0L V6 and 3.3L V6 in the Camry, 3.0L V6 in the Accord and 3.5L V6 in the Altima).

~Blow your mind~

Old 10-25-2005, 04:10 AM   #10
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
I see, I remember the original pricing around 40k but I thought for some reason maybe it had dropped a little. And this supra will be expected to way much more? How much do you personally think it will be around? To me 100k seems WAY high I mean once you get into cars that high you talk about cars like the Viper and such. I realize this car will have a nice amoutn of power with twin turbo's and AWD but at the same time I couldn't see it being more than around 70k then.

I never even remember Toyota announcing they were actually GOING to make a new Supra until, well today. Before they said the LF-A (4.5L 500hp V10) was going to be "the replacement for the Supra" and was going to be $100k. Then now I see the are coming out with a hybrid sports coupe with 400hp, but no pricing on that yet. Now I find out they are actually coming out with a new Supra.

MY best guess... I'd be suprised to see it cheaper than $55,000.

~Blow your mind~

Old 10-25-2005, 04:14 PM   #11
Inygknok
El del Supra

sorry for not having any price quotes, but this is wat i know from wat my friend read out loud to me over the phone. ill try to visit him today and read it directly and maybe quote it directly so u all can have a look yourselves.

i dont remember wat mag it was, but it also informed on the 2007 GT-R and the new Miata.

i bet Toyota saw the fluctuation of gas prices getting too out of control, so they opted for the 3.5L V6 in order to save much more gas and go more efficiently about it. great idea.

the IS makes just a tad less than the TT supra, but it sure will make way more power if Toyota tt's the IS engine for the new supra.

i wonder how Toyota will improve on honda's new AWD system.......

Old 10-25-2005, 06:14 PM   #12
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
sorry for not having any price quotes, but this is wat i know from wat my friend read out loud to me over the phone. ill try to visit him today and read it directly and maybe quote it directly so u all can have a look yourselves.

i dont remember wat mag it was, but it also informed on the 2007 GT-R and the new Miata.

i bet Toyota saw the fluctuation of gas prices getting too out of control, so they opted for the 3.5L V6 in order to save much more gas and go more efficiently about it. great idea.

the IS makes just a tad less than the TT supra, but it sure will make way more power if Toyota tt's the IS engine for the new supra.

i wonder how Toyota will improve on honda's new AWD system.......

I dont know how they can improve on the SH-AWD system (most advanced on a production car right now). I guess the only thing the SH-AWD doesnt do is like it does on the rear wheels (Applies more torque to one rear wheel or the other on turns) is do that to the front wheels. But I dont see that really as an advantage.

~Blow your mind~

Old 10-25-2005, 07:09 PM   #13
Inygknok
El del Supra

they'll probably add a bit more computer power to the system....

u know, like back when the PSK was first released and everyone went "whoa....."

Old 10-25-2005, 08:01 PM   #14
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
they'll probably add a bit more computer power to the system....

u know, like back when the PSK was first released and everyone went "whoa....."

Oh so you basically just mean UPGRADE it in the electronics sense (ie make it quicker/lighter/more efficent). Gotcha.

~Blow your mind~

Old 10-26-2005, 01:42 AM   #15
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
If a 3.5L N/A V6 (new 306hp Lexus IS350) is already making MORE power than the 3.0L Twin Turbo I6 Supra did. I have no qualms about putting twin turbos on, ON TOP of that.

Since when did a V6 become American? All of the Japanese big three use V6's in the bread and butter sedans (3.0L V6 and 3.3L V6 in the Camry, 3.0L V6 in the Accord and 3.5L V6 in the Altima).

That I6 is also over a decade old. A new one could do much better. Family-haulers dont really count in performance car discussions, so no reason to bring up Accords or Camrys when we're talking about Supras and Skylines.