Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2005, 10:08 PM   #1
99_cougar_guy
CF Newbie

Heater Blower in a 99 cougar

Hey,

I was hoping to find an answer to a problem that has been driving me nutty. My 1999 Mercury Cougar was working great when all of a sudden the heater fan wouldn't come on. Then I noticed that when I went over railroad tracks the fan would start to kick on. Slowly at first, and up to full blast (or what ever setting I had it at). As some days went by, the railroad tracks had no effect on the fan. I called a buddy of mine and he told me to check the fuses. I did, and found nothing wrong with them.

It got to the point that one day I was really cold and the windows were starting to fog up on me, I hit the side of the center console under the dash and with that the fan started turning again. I found that hitting that spot would cause the fan to kick on like it did with the railroad tracks. But now that doesn't work either, although just the other day the fan started as I was driving down the road with no bumps or anything.

So, my question is this...

..Is this simply a loose wire? If so, how do I fix it myself? If it's not a loose wire, what could it be? And how do I fix it?

Thank you ahead of time for your answers.
99_cougar_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 11:03 PM   #2
bigdaveangell
CF Addict

it sounds like a loose wire or bad connection. The only way to really find out what the problem is would be to get to the wiring for the fan and take a look
bigdaveangell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 12:41 AM   #3
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
basic dc motor, the brushes in the motor are bad or carbon build up, need a new motor but check for loose terminals while your under there, its much like a bad fuel pump or starter when you tap it it works. get a new motor and you'll be on the road again