Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-27-2005, 06:54 AM   #1
codeblue
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 11
suspension for 74 nova

I just bought a 74 nova and the suspension is pretty much done. Any suggestions...also I am interested in lifting the rear end...suggestions???
codeblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 10:02 PM   #2
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer
 
car_crazy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,849
I'm not sure about the front suspension thing but to raise the rear of the car you can just go out and buy some shackles (attachs to the leaf springs and the frame) and maybe new shocks. The shackles are good for about atleast 4 or 5 inches of lift.

Shackles:
__________________

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"

Last edited by car_crazy89 : 10-27-2005 at 10:05 PM.
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 02:12 AM   #3
codeblue
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 11
thanks

thanks
codeblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 03:47 AM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by codeblue
I just bought a 74 nova and the suspension is pretty much done. Any suggestions...also I am interested in lifting the rear end...suggestions???
Here's a suggestion. Don't lift the rear, lower the front. You'll thank me someday.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 03:38 PM   #5
codeblue
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 11
Why do you say that...?
codeblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 08:01 PM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by codeblue
Why do you say that...?
Because jacking up the rear end will make the car ride and handle worse. Because if you jack it up you'll probably stuff ridiculously large tires in back that the drivetrain won't be able to handle. Because if you jack it up you'll lose braking efficiency. Do I need to go on?
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 07:16 AM   #7
codeblue
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 11
how is that different than lowering the front end...isn't it the same in the end?...your front end is still lower than the rear end either way you go about it...I'm just trying to see what your reasoning is thats all...
codeblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 12:49 PM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by codeblue
how is that different than lowering the front end...isn't it the same in the end?...your front end is still lower than the rear end either way you go about it...I'm just trying to see what your reasoning is thats all...
Lowering the front won't give you room to stuff huge ass tires under the rear, will it? It also won't raise the center of gravity. It's called vehicle dynamics.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 01:12 PM   #9
dodger65
I know more than Wally...
 
dodger65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: U.S. - Midwest
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Because jacking up the rear end will make the car ride and handle worse. Because if you jack it up you'll probably stuff ridiculously large tires in back that the drivetrain won't be able to handle. Because if you jack it up you'll lose braking efficiency. Do I need to go on?

c'mon--if you've got a nova, you've GOTTA have that "texas tilt"....
__________________
"Everyone is someone else's weirdo"

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 06:58 AM   #10
codeblue
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 11
haha...I agree dodger65...but vwhobo, no offense, but when you start talking vehicle diynamics and lowering the front end as apposed to lifting the rear, in either instance the center of gravity will change no matter the decision...I'm just looking for straight forward reasoning to your statement thats all...my nova already rides very low in the front, I really don't see how I could go any lower
codeblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 08:14 AM   #11
codeblue
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 11
I understand the desire to lower the center of gravity but is the difference really going to be that substantial
codeblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 12:39 PM   #12
dodger65
I know more than Wally...
 
dodger65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: U.S. - Midwest
Posts: 2,117
uhhhhh, i was kinda being sarcastic, b/c every old nova i see around here is 10' high in the back w/ the front bumper scraping the ground...

why do yo want to lift the back up? for aesthetics or biggger tires? or are you just looking to keep it from bottoming out all the time?
__________________
"Everyone is someone else's weirdo"

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 01:50 PM   #13
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by codeblue
haha...I agree dodger65...but vwhobo, no offense, but when you start talking vehicle diynamics and lowering the front end as apposed to lifting the rear, in either instance the center of gravity will change no matter the decision...I'm just looking for straight forward reasoning to your statement thats all...my nova already rides very low in the front, I really don't see how I could go any lower
Because a lower center of gravity 99.9% of the time is preferable to a higher center of gravity. Funny, isn't it. You answered your own question right here;

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeblue
I understand the desire to lower the center of gravity but is the difference really going to be that substantial
Substantial? Well that obviously is directly proportional to the height difference in either direction. Plus you're still not considering the dynamics of oversized tires and what they'll do to braking, handling, etc.

What is the answer you're looking for so I can agree and make you happy?
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 03:22 AM   #14
codeblue
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 11
I think I got the answers I need...which makes me happy
codeblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.