Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2005, 06:54 AM   #1
codeblue
CF Newbie

suspension for 74 nova

I just bought a 74 nova and the suspension is pretty much done. Any suggestions...also I am interested in lifting the rear end...suggestions???
codeblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 10:02 PM   #2
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

I'm not sure about the front suspension thing but to raise the rear of the car you can just go out and buy some shackles (attachs to the leaf springs and the frame) and maybe new shocks. The shackles are good for about atleast 4 or 5 inches of lift.

Shackles:

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"

Last edited by car_crazy89 : 10-27-2005 at 10:05 PM.
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 02:12 AM   #3
codeblue
CF Newbie

thanks

thanks
Old 11-01-2005, 03:47 AM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeblue
I just bought a 74 nova and the suspension is pretty much done. Any suggestions...also I am interested in lifting the rear end...suggestions???
Here's a suggestion. Don't lift the rear, lower the front. You'll thank me someday.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 03:38 PM   #5
codeblue
CF Newbie

Why do you say that...?
Old 11-01-2005, 08:01 PM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Why do you say that...?
Because jacking up the rear end will make the car ride and handle worse. Because if you jack it up you'll probably stuff ridiculously large tires in back that the drivetrain won't be able to handle. Because if you jack it up you'll lose braking efficiency. Do I need to go on?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 11-02-2005, 07:16 AM   #7
codeblue
CF Newbie

how is that different than lowering the front end...isn't it the same in the end?...your front end is still lower than the rear end either way you go about it...I'm just trying to see what your reasoning is thats all...
Old 11-02-2005, 12:49 PM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
how is that different than lowering the front end...isn't it the same in the end?...your front end is still lower than the rear end either way you go about it...I'm just trying to see what your reasoning is thats all...
Lowering the front won't give you room to stuff huge ass tires under the rear, will it? It also won't raise the center of gravity. It's called vehicle dynamics.

Old 11-02-2005, 01:12 PM   #9
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Because jacking up the rear end will make the car ride and handle worse. Because if you jack it up you'll probably stuff ridiculously large tires in back that the drivetrain won't be able to handle. Because if you jack it up you'll lose braking efficiency. Do I need to go on?

c'mon--if you've got a nova, you've GOTTA have that "texas tilt"....

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 06:58 AM   #10
codeblue
CF Newbie

haha...I agree dodger65...but vwhobo, no offense, but when you start talking vehicle diynamics and lowering the front end as apposed to lifting the rear, in either instance the center of gravity will change no matter the decision...I'm just looking for straight forward reasoning to your statement thats all...my nova already rides very low in the front, I really don't see how I could go any lower
Old 11-03-2005, 08:14 AM   #11
codeblue
CF Newbie

I understand the desire to lower the center of gravity but is the difference really going to be that substantial
Old 11-03-2005, 12:39 PM   #12
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

uhhhhh, i was kinda being sarcastic, b/c every old nova i see around here is 10' high in the back w/ the front bumper scraping the ground...

why do yo want to lift the back up? for aesthetics or biggger tires? or are you just looking to keep it from bottoming out all the time?

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 01:50 PM   #13
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
haha...I agree dodger65...but vwhobo, no offense, but when you start talking vehicle diynamics and lowering the front end as apposed to lifting the rear, in either instance the center of gravity will change no matter the decision...I'm just looking for straight forward reasoning to your statement thats all...my nova already rides very low in the front, I really don't see how I could go any lower
Because a lower center of gravity 99.9% of the time is preferable to a higher center of gravity. Funny, isn't it. You answered your own question right here;

Quote:
I understand the desire to lower the center of gravity but is the difference really going to be that substantial
Substantial? Well that obviously is directly proportional to the height difference in either direction. Plus you're still not considering the dynamics of oversized tires and what they'll do to braking, handling, etc.

What is the answer you're looking for so I can agree and make you happy?

Old 11-04-2005, 03:22 AM   #14
codeblue
CF Newbie

I think I got the answers I need...which makes me happy