Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-29-2005, 05:03 AM   #1
J708
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 11
Camry 1997 V4, 95 or 97 octane

Hey everyone,

I'de really be grateful if someone would help me out here, I just bought a used Camry 1997 V4, and for the past 9 years it been fueling on 97 Octane. Unfortunelty where I live 97 Octane is around 10 bucks extra than 95 Octane. My question here is, knowing for a fact the car is in excellent condition engine wise and has been for the past 9 years. Will it effect my engine if I switch to 95 Octane knowing its been fueling on 97 Octane for 9 years?


Thanks

Last edited by J708 : 10-29-2005 at 05:35 AM.
J708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 07:11 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by J708
Hey everyone,

I'de really be grateful if someone would help me out here, I just bought a used Camry 1997 V4, and for the past 9 years it been fueling on 97 Octane. Unfortunelty where I live 97 Octane is around 10 bucks extra than 95 Octane. My question here is, knowing for a fact the car is in excellent condition engine wise and has been for the past 9 years. Will it effect my engine if I switch to 95 Octane knowing its been fueling on 97 Octane for 9 years?


Thanks
1. If you own a Camry with a V4 engine, you sir have possibly the most valuable Toyota ever built. Toyota never produced a V4 but has made millions if I4's.

2. 97 or 95 octane gasoline in your car is money wasted. That car was designed to use probably 89 octane. To use a higher grade lowers efficiency, fuel mileage and power. Of course I'm talking about the I4 engine, the V4 might indeed require premium fuel.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 12:34 PM   #3
J708
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
1. If you own a Camry with a V4 engine, you sir have possibly the most valuable Toyota ever built. Toyota never produced a V4 but has made millions if I4's.

2. 97 or 95 octane gasoline in your car is money wasted. That car was designed to use probably 89 octane. To use a higher grade lowers efficiency, fuel mileage and power. Of course I'm talking about the I4 engine, the V4 might indeed require premium fuel.

What I meant was 4 cylinder. I live in the Gulf and here we only use 95 and 97, anything lower will garantee to **** your car, unless it a car that u've been using for 20 years and don't give two ****s about power or anything. Actually were I live which is in Dubai , UAE, we use 95 and 98. So it would be really helpful if you were more direct in answering my question.

Thank you
J708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 02:05 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by J708
What I meant was 4 cylinder. I live in the Gulf and here we only use 95 and 97, anything lower will garantee to **** your car, unless it a car that u've been using for 20 years and don't give two ****s about power or anything. Actually were I live which is in Dubai , UAE, we use 95 and 98. So it would be really helpful if you were more direct in answering my question.

Thank you
Okay. Since you seem to know so much about the subject, let's try this. Wht don't you tell us all about what octane will work better and why. The floor is yours mister smart guy.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 02:29 PM   #5
Erdrickk
CF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Okay. Since you seem to know so much about the subject, let's try this. Wht don't you tell us all about what octane will work better and why. The floor is yours mister smart guy.


your so damn sarcastic....you offend people left right and center in a matter of 2 seconds I noticed. If you want to troll find a different board.


You dont need the higher Octane unless your engine Pings or Knocks. The reason it would ping or knock is with the lower octane fuels like 87 the fuel combusts to early in the cylinder chamber thing lol...that can really **** your engine up.

The higher the octane the less likely you will have early combustion causing pinging or knocking.

92 octane is high enough for 99% of the cars out there...between 95 and 98 I would suspect no difference being that 95 is already pretty damn high.
Erdrickk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 02:36 PM   #6
99integra
CF's Florida boy
 
99integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 6,099
Ummm Erdrickk, this is how he proves people wrong.
__________________
Current whip: walking
99integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 05:09 PM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdrickk
your so damn sarcastic....you offend people left right and center in a matter of 2 seconds I noticed. If you want to troll find a different board.


You dont need the higher Octane unless your engine Pings or Knocks. The reason it would ping or knock is with the lower octane fuels like 87 the fuel combusts to early in the cylinder chamber thing lol...that can really **** your engine up.

The higher the octane the less likely you will have early combustion causing pinging or knocking.

92 octane is high enough for 99% of the cars out there...between 95 and 98 I would suspect no difference being that 95 is already pretty damn high.
Okay. You are a moron. Is that offensive enough for you? Do you realize that you just gave him essentially the same info I did... reworded? I'm not the problem here, it's people who ask a question and when they don't like the truthful and correct answer get pissed off. I don't care if you, him or anybody likes what I said, the point is that IT'S THE TRUTH.

BTW, I can play that candy assed game too. I've been here alot longer than you, if you don't like my attitude, you go find a different board.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 05:22 PM   #8
DodgeRida67
Banned
 
DodgeRida67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Jackson, Georgia
Posts: 2,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Okay. You are a moron. Is that offensive enough for you? Do you realize that you just gave him essentially the same info I did... reworded? I'm not the problem here, it's people who ask a question and when they don't like the truthful and correct answer get pissed off. I don't care if you, him or anybody likes what I said, the point is that IT'S THE TRUTH.

BTW, I can play that candy assed game too. I've been here alot longer than you, if you don't like my attitude, you go find a different board.


Quote:
Hey everyone,

I'de really be grateful if someone would help me out here, I just bought a used Camry 1997 V4, and for the past 9 years it been fueling on 97 Octane. Unfortunelty where I live 97 Octane is around 10 bucks extra than 95 Octane. My question here is, knowing for a fact the car is in excellent condition engine wise and has been for the past 9 years. Will it effect my engine if I switch to 95 Octane knowing its been fueling on 97 Octane for 9 years?


Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
Using 95 octane will be fine.



That's it you ignorant f*ck. I can't wait until you're grounded for a few months again.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 05:39 PM   #9
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
I'm pretty sure Europe and Asia has a different rating for gas, than North America, so it's best to check with some of our members who are familliar with that system
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 05:40 PM   #10
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
That's it you ignorant f*ck. I can't wait until you're grounded for a few months again.
Why don't you go climb back in your hole. And what happened to being nice like your signature block said? Little man, big mouth, that's all you are or have ever been.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 11:40 PM   #11
J708
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 11
Firstly, Erdrickk, thank you so much for the info.

Vwhobo, do you have issues or something? and yes Erdrickk did actually help me more than you did. There is a difference between an intellegent answer and a "I love confusing ppl" answer.

Thanks
J708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 11:48 PM   #12
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by J708
Firstly, Erdrickk, thank you so much for the info.

Vwhobo, do you have issues or something? and yes Erdrickk did actually help me more than you did. There is a difference between an intellegent answer and a "I love confusing ppl" answer.

Thanks
Do me a favor and explain to me where he gave you any more useful information than I did in these three sentences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
97 or 95 octane gasoline in your car is money wasted. That car was designed to use probably 89 octane. To use a higher grade lowers efficiency, fuel mileage and power.
I don't think you can. Let's see you try.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 03:53 AM   #13
nsupra27
CF Enthusiast
 
nsupra27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 221
You don't need high octane gas in a stock I4 Camery.
And if you really want to know, it should tell you what is recommended in your owners manual.
__________________
nsupra27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 05:32 AM   #14
6000LE
Banned
 
6000LE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 832
I use 89 octane all the time. 1998 Dodge Neon 2.0 DOHC
6000LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 05:42 AM   #15
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire
 
Pythias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ohio, U.S.
Posts: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6000LE
I use 89 octane all the time. 1998 Dodge Neon 2.0 DOHC

....Not to be a smartass, but what was the point of that? I am just going off of common sense here but the only thing that has to do with anything is it is a 4cyc as well, was that your point?
__________________
"Though I drive through the valley of rice,I shall fear no turbo for torque art with me. Thy rod and piston, they comfort me."

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.