Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2005, 05:03 AM   #1
J708
Banned

Camry 1997 V4, 95 or 97 octane

Hey everyone,

I'de really be grateful if someone would help me out here, I just bought a used Camry 1997 V4, and for the past 9 years it been fueling on 97 Octane. Unfortunelty where I live 97 Octane is around 10 bucks extra than 95 Octane. My question here is, knowing for a fact the car is in excellent condition engine wise and has been for the past 9 years. Will it effect my engine if I switch to 95 Octane knowing its been fueling on 97 Octane for 9 years?

Thanks

Last edited by J708 : 10-29-2005 at 05:35 AM.
J708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 07:11 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by J708
Hey everyone,

I'de really be grateful if someone would help me out here, I just bought a used Camry 1997 V4, and for the past 9 years it been fueling on 97 Octane. Unfortunelty where I live 97 Octane is around 10 bucks extra than 95 Octane. My question here is, knowing for a fact the car is in excellent condition engine wise and has been for the past 9 years. Will it effect my engine if I switch to 95 Octane knowing its been fueling on 97 Octane for 9 years?

Thanks
1. If you own a Camry with a V4 engine, you sir have possibly the most valuable Toyota ever built. Toyota never produced a V4 but has made millions if I4's.

2. 97 or 95 octane gasoline in your car is money wasted. That car was designed to use probably 89 octane. To use a higher grade lowers efficiency, fuel mileage and power. Of course I'm talking about the I4 engine, the V4 might indeed require premium fuel.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 12:34 PM   #3
J708
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
1. If you own a Camry with a V4 engine, you sir have possibly the most valuable Toyota ever built. Toyota never produced a V4 but has made millions if I4's.

2. 97 or 95 octane gasoline in your car is money wasted. That car was designed to use probably 89 octane. To use a higher grade lowers efficiency, fuel mileage and power. Of course I'm talking about the I4 engine, the V4 might indeed require premium fuel.

What I meant was 4 cylinder. I live in the Gulf and here we only use 95 and 97, anything lower will garantee to **** your car, unless it a car that u've been using for 20 years and don't give two ****s about power or anything. Actually were I live which is in Dubai , UAE, we use 95 and 98. So it would be really helpful if you were more direct in answering my question.

Thank you
Old 10-29-2005, 02:05 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
What I meant was 4 cylinder. I live in the Gulf and here we only use 95 and 97, anything lower will garantee to **** your car, unless it a car that u've been using for 20 years and don't give two ****s about power or anything. Actually were I live which is in Dubai , UAE, we use 95 and 98. So it would be really helpful if you were more direct in answering my question.

Thank you
Okay. Since you seem to know so much about the subject, let's try this. Wht don't you tell us all about what octane will work better and why. The floor is yours mister smart guy.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 10-29-2005, 02:29 PM   #5
Erdrickk
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Okay. Since you seem to know so much about the subject, let's try this. Wht don't you tell us all about what octane will work better and why. The floor is yours mister smart guy.

your so damn sarcastic....you offend people left right and center in a matter of 2 seconds I noticed. If you want to troll find a different board.

You dont need the higher Octane unless your engine Pings or Knocks. The reason it would ping or knock is with the lower octane fuels like 87 the fuel combusts to early in the cylinder chamber thing lol...that can really **** your engine up.

The higher the octane the less likely you will have early combustion causing pinging or knocking.

92 octane is high enough for 99% of the cars out there...between 95 and 98 I would suspect no difference being that 95 is already pretty damn high.
Erdrickk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 02:36 PM   #6
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Ummm Erdrickk, this is how he proves people wrong.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:09 PM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdrickk
your so damn sarcastic....you offend people left right and center in a matter of 2 seconds I noticed. If you want to troll find a different board.

You dont need the higher Octane unless your engine Pings or Knocks. The reason it would ping or knock is with the lower octane fuels like 87 the fuel combusts to early in the cylinder chamber thing lol...that can really **** your engine up.

The higher the octane the less likely you will have early combustion causing pinging or knocking.

92 octane is high enough for 99% of the cars out there...between 95 and 98 I would suspect no difference being that 95 is already pretty damn high.
Okay. You are a moron. Is that offensive enough for you? Do you realize that you just gave him essentially the same info I did... reworded? I'm not the problem here, it's people who ask a question and when they don't like the truthful and correct answer get pissed off. I don't care if you, him or anybody likes what I said, the point is that IT'S THE TRUTH.

BTW, I can play that candy assed game too. I've been here alot longer than you, if you don't like my attitude, you go find a different board.

Old 10-29-2005, 05:22 PM   #8
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Okay. You are a moron. Is that offensive enough for you? Do you realize that you just gave him essentially the same info I did... reworded? I'm not the problem here, it's people who ask a question and when they don't like the truthful and correct answer get pissed off. I don't care if you, him or anybody likes what I said, the point is that IT'S THE TRUTH.

BTW, I can play that candy assed game too. I've been here alot longer than you, if you don't like my attitude, you go find a different board.

Quote:
Hey everyone,

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
Using 95 octane will be fine.

That's it you ignorant f*ck. I can't wait until you're grounded for a few months again.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 05:39 PM   #9
chris_knows
๑۩۞

I'm pretty sure Europe and Asia has a different rating for gas, than North America, so it's best to check with some of our members who are familliar with that system
Old 10-29-2005, 05:40 PM   #10
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
That's it you ignorant f*ck. I can't wait until you're grounded for a few months again.
Why don't you go climb back in your hole. And what happened to being nice like your signature block said? Little man, big mouth, that's all you are or have ever been.

Old 10-29-2005, 11:40 PM   #11
J708
Banned

Firstly, Erdrickk, thank you so much for the info.

Vwhobo, do you have issues or something? and yes Erdrickk did actually help me more than you did. There is a difference between an intellegent answer and a "I love confusing ppl" answer.

Thanks
Old 10-29-2005, 11:48 PM   #12
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Firstly, Erdrickk, thank you so much for the info.

Vwhobo, do you have issues or something? and yes Erdrickk did actually help me more than you did. There is a difference between an intellegent answer and a "I love confusing ppl" answer.

Thanks
Do me a favor and explain to me where he gave you any more useful information than I did in these three sentences.

Quote:
97 or 95 octane gasoline in your car is money wasted. That car was designed to use probably 89 octane. To use a higher grade lowers efficiency, fuel mileage and power.
I don't think you can. Let's see you try.

Old 10-30-2005, 03:53 AM   #13
nsupra27
CF Enthusiast

You don't need high octane gas in a stock I4 Camery.
And if you really want to know, it should tell you what is recommended in your owners manual.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:32 AM   #14
6000LE
Banned

I use 89 octane all the time. 1998 Dodge Neon 2.0 DOHC
6000LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 05:42 AM   #15
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6000LE
I use 89 octane all the time. 1998 Dodge Neon 2.0 DOHC

....Not to be a smartass, but what was the point of that? I am just going off of common sense here but the only thing that has to do with anything is it is a 4cyc as well, was that your point?

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote