Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2004, 09:38 AM   #1
cat5
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12
95 Toyota Tercel a few problems need help

HI all..Im a brand nooby and I first like to say how much I love this forum so far and I likt to say hi to all. I got a 1995 toyota Tercel and got a few problemst: doesn't pass deq, alot of smokes come out in the morning, and the transmission is not switching gear correctly, and my gas doesn't kick in normally.

About the transmission, When I press on the gas, it would go but it doens't switch to second gear at the right rpm automatically, I have to let go of the gas at certain rpm and then it will switch gear. The local mech say the transmission or whatever is messed up and will charge me a fortune and Im a student and broke

About the gas acceleration, say Im at a stop postion and press on the gas to go, it would hesitates first then the gas kicks in, like it's clog up or somthing or not smooth. I mean it has no instant acceleration, it would hesitates slowly then the gas would come in. It never done that, but now it does after he checked it.

About the smoke, there is a lot of smoke when I wake up in the morning and start it up, it would have a lot of smoke and I have to keep in warm up for like 15 20 minutes before it goes away. Please let me know is there anything I could do to help the problems or fix it, if not, I might have to sell my car

Last edited by cat5 : 03-06-2004 at 09:42 AM.
cat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 10:44 AM   #2
Vassar
CF Newbie
 
Vassar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat5
HI all..Im a brand nooby and I first like to say how much I love this forum so far and I likt to say hi to all. I got a 1995 toyota Tercel and got a few problemst: doesn't pass deq, alot of smokes come out in the morning, and the transmission is not switching gear correctly, and my gas doesn't kick in normally.

About the transmission, When I press on the gas, it would go but it doens't switch to second gear at the right rpm automatically, I have to let go of the gas at certain rpm and then it will switch gear. The local mech say the transmission or whatever is messed up and will charge me a fortune and Im a student and broke

About the gas acceleration, say Im at a stop postion and press on the gas to go, it would hesitates first then the gas kicks in, like it's clog up or somthing or not smooth. I mean it has no instant acceleration, it would hesitates slowly then the gas would come in. It never done that, but now it does after he checked it.

About the smoke, there is a lot of smoke when I wake up in the morning and start it up, it would have a lot of smoke and I have to keep in warm up for like 15 20 minutes before it goes away. Please let me know is there anything I could do to help the problems or fix it, if not, I might have to sell my car

Well, if you are to ask me, the Tercel is an excellent car for the price. I had a driving instructor who had one that hit nearly 400,000 miles before any major problems.

Anyway, about the transmission, have you check the transmission fluid? Are you using the correct fluid? Believe it or not, some old cars will hesitate changing gears and that is all normal. How many miles does the car have?

As for the gas and acceleration, check your fuel lines. I had an '88 Dodge Ram that had the exact same problem! Come to find out, the fuel lines had a hole, which was letting to much air to the engine, causing it to hesitate. Do you have any problems when you stomp the gas pedal? Like major hesitation before the car will actually move? Do you have trouble getting up steep hills, whether you press the gas to the floor or not?

About the morning problems... Check your oil levels. Do you check your oil every week or so? What kind of weather do you have in your area? Always cold, hot?

Either way, get back and we've got a couple awesome car people on the site. Just to name a few off hand, ChrisV and vwhobo are excellent with any type of car.
Vassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 07:41 PM   #3
Car Guy
CF Enthusiast
 
Car Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat5
HI all..Im a brand nooby and I first like to say how much I love this forum so far and I likt to say hi to all. I got a 1995 toyota Tercel and got a few problemst: doesn't pass deq, alot of smokes come out in the morning, and the transmission is not switching gear correctly, and my gas doesn't kick in normally.

About the transmission, When I press on the gas, it would go but it doens't switch to second gear at the right rpm automatically, I have to let go of the gas at certain rpm and then it will switch gear. The local mech say the transmission or whatever is messed up and will charge me a fortune and Im a student and broke

About the gas acceleration, say Im at a stop postion and press on the gas to go, it would hesitates first then the gas kicks in, like it's clog up or somthing or not smooth. I mean it has no instant acceleration, it would hesitates slowly then the gas would come in. It never done that, but now it does after he checked it.

About the smoke, there is a lot of smoke when I wake up in the morning and start it up, it would have a lot of smoke and I have to keep in warm up for like 15 20 minutes before it goes away. Please let me know is there anything I could do to help the problems or fix it, if not, I might have to sell my car
I dont know about any other problems, I have a good idea about your smoke problem in the moring. Its called condinsation (sp). Every car will "smoke" in the moreing espessaly if left outside over night. Just look around.
__________________
RT/10
GTS
GTS-R
SRT-10
Car Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 07:54 PM   #4
cat5
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12
Thank you so much, the Tercel I have now runs very very smooth and it's at 180K I think and I never worry about it beside those problems. Hearing you hit 400K makes me love this baby more if it could really do that Ok about the transmission, I have checked the transmission fluid but I have no idea how to read it or tell whether it's the right kind. Right now when I pulled up the transmission fluid measure stick, it has two marks, the one at the bottom say cool then another one an inch and a half above it read hot, and a word DEXRON II print on the stick after that.

I cleaned the stick and put it back in and pulled it out, for some reason, the fluid goes way passed or above the "hot" mark like another half an inch above the hot mark. I dont' know if this is normal or not but that's where the fluid level is. I have no idea what kind of fluid is in there but it's a little light red or light purple color. The car now has around 180k on it.

About fuel lines, I dont' know much about them and where to check but where ever there is a line or a hose or a tube, I have looked and checked but don't see any visible serious damaged lines or misplaced lines, but I haven't done a complete check yet but I will do it again today later. About the gas, if Im at a stopped position and stomped on it, it would hesitates a lot like hickups and then the gas would kick in afew seconds after that. As for steep hills, I haven't got any problems yes because as long that the car is moving, the gas don't hesitate, but sometimes it feels like it doesn't have a lot of power for climbing or go up hills. Sometimes the slope is too steep, I would press on the gas hard and the engine rev up so much and there would be smoke coming out from the back.I have tried to drain some engine oil and it does help with the smoke, but no matter what, in the morning when I start it up, there would be smoke comming out for a few minutes.

Im in Portland Oregon and the weather right now is cold adn wet and I would say the temperature right now is around 40F to 50F generally. I alwasy check my oil and I have changed it many times but doesn't help with the smoke at all, it helps if I release some out though. Right now I got Penzoil 30-40 in it is this ok?

I will get back more info after I check the car more today. Please help!
cat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 08:10 PM   #5
Car Guy
CF Enthusiast
 
Car Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 199
I live in Portland Oregon as well. And your smoke problem in the moring is do to condinsation build up in your exust pipe most likely. Is your car stored outside? If so this is normal. Look at all the other cars in the moring they will have smoke coming out there pipes as well. As for the oil I would think that it would take 10W 30. The transmision stick goes like this when the engin is cold you then the fluild should be up to the "cold" mark if the engine is hot then it should be up to the "hot" mark.
__________________
RT/10
GTS
GTS-R
SRT-10
Car Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 08:37 PM   #6
SuperJew
I like pie.
 
SuperJew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Suburbia Central, New York
Posts: 2,584
its called condensation. its basic in almost every high school science course.
__________________


CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 08:57 PM   #7
cat5
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12
Yes I know what you mean but my smoke doesnt' smell like condensation at all. It's solid heavy smoke not just condesation or water vapors. I know what you mean when the vapors come out that's normal when it's cold and then hot, but in this case, this is serious smoke like you burned somthing and then the smoke come out. It's that kind of smoke.
cat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 09:05 PM   #8
Car Guy
CF Enthusiast
 
Car Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 199
hmmmmm Well I gave you all that iI know I would ask VWHOBO. Hope all works out ill tell you if something comes to me.
__________________
RT/10
GTS
GTS-R
SRT-10
Car Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 09:30 PM   #9
cat5
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12
cool to see a neighbor here. If you got other suggestions, please feel free to suggest
cat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 10:08 PM   #10
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue
 
BavarianWheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 3,154
.
.
If you're noticing white smoke as you drive...it's not "condensation."

Where there is smoke...there's fire.
.
.
__________________

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 10:13 PM   #11
SuperJew
I like pie.
 
SuperJew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Suburbia Central, New York
Posts: 2,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
.
.
If you're noticing white smoke as you drive...it's not "condensation."

Where there is smoke...there's fire.
.
.

...and when there's fire, theres dead people!
__________________


CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 10:23 PM   #12
Vassar
CF Newbie
 
Vassar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat5
Thank you so much, the Tercel I have now runs very very smooth and it's at 180K I think and I never worry about it beside those problems. Hearing you hit 400K makes me love this baby more if it could really do that Ok about the transmission, I have checked the transmission fluid but I have no idea how to read it or tell whether it's the right kind. Right now when I pulled up the transmission fluid measure stick, it has two marks, the one at the bottom say cool then another one an inch and a half above it read hot, and a word DEXRON II print on the stick after that.

I cleaned the stick and put it back in and pulled it out, for some reason, the fluid goes way passed or above the "hot" mark like another half an inch above the hot mark. I dont' know if this is normal or not but that's where the fluid level is. I have no idea what kind of fluid is in there but it's a little light red or light purple color. The car now has around 180k on it.

About fuel lines, I dont' know much about them and where to check but where ever there is a line or a hose or a tube, I have looked and checked but don't see any visible serious damaged lines or misplaced lines, but I haven't done a complete check yet but I will do it again today later. About the gas, if Im at a stopped position and stomped on it, it would hesitates a lot like hickups and then the gas would kick in afew seconds after that. As for steep hills, I haven't got any problems yes because as long that the car is moving, the gas don't hesitate, but sometimes it feels like it doesn't have a lot of power for climbing or go up hills. Sometimes the slope is too steep, I would press on the gas hard and the engine rev up so much and there would be smoke coming out from the back.I have tried to drain some engine oil and it does help with the smoke, but no matter what, in the morning when I start it up, there would be smoke comming out for a few minutes.

Im in Portland Oregon and the weather right now is cold adn wet and I would say the temperature right now is around 40F to 50F generally. I alwasy check my oil and I have changed it many times but doesn't help with the smoke at all, it helps if I release some out though. Right now I got Penzoil 30-40 in it is this ok?

I will get back more info after I check the car more today. Please help!

Well, back to the transmission. Incase you don't know, the "cold" and "hot" on the dipstick for the transmission mean basically running and non. Hot meaning the car is running, or has been running long enough for the engine to warm up, cold meaning the car hasn't been run and the engine is still cold. You should usually check your transmission fluid with the car RUNNING and make sure you look at the fluid level compared to the "hot" reading on the dipstick. As for the "DEXRON II", that is the type of transmission fluid your transmission needs. You really should have the transmission levels the exact same as what the dipstick specifies, if not, that could cause some transmission problems.

Another possibility of the engine hesitation could possibly be spark plugs and wires. Have you changed the plugs and wires since you've had the car? They should be burnt up, or just displaced in the cylinder, causing a misfire.

As someone else already mentioned, condensation from an engine in low temperatures is normal. Have you tried using a lighter weight oil? Say, 5W-30, instead of 10W-30? The 5W would take less time to warm up because it's not as thick as the 10W.

Either way, keep trying and let us know what's going on.
Vassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 10:45 PM   #13
cat5
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vassar
Well, back to the transmission. Incase you don't know, the "cold" and "hot" on the dipstick for the transmission mean basically running and non. Hot meaning the car is running, or has been running long enough for the engine to warm up, cold meaning the car hasn't been run and the engine is still cold. You should usually check your transmission fluid with the car RUNNING and make sure you look at the fluid level compared to the "hot" reading on the dipstick. As for the "DEXRON II", that is the type of transmission fluid your transmission needs. You really should have the transmission levels the exact same as what the dipstick specifies, if not, that could cause some transmission problems.

Another possibility of the engine hesitation could possibly be spark plugs and wires. Have you changed the plugs and wires since you've had the car? They should be burnt up, or just displaced in the cylinder, causing a misfire.

As someone else already mentioned, condensation from an engine in low temperatures is normal. Have you tried using a lighter weight oil? Say, 5W-30, instead of 10W-30? The 5W would take less time to warm up because it's not as thick as the 10W.

Either way, keep trying and let us know what's going on.

Well, I think I will take a look at that today and see if I need to change the spark plugs, I might as well. The mech told me that some how there is a misfire in the third spark plug, so I will look at that too and my cousin told me this special plug cost me 80 bucks to replace. dont know why but if it does misfire then there is somthing to fix I guess. Im looking at the fuel filter and see if I replace that. I will try all these and get back with you awsome people. Please feel free to let me know what else I should check or look into.
cat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 10:57 PM   #14
Vassar
CF Newbie
 
Vassar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat5
Well, I think I will take a look at that today and see if I need to change the spark plugs, I might as well. The mech told me that some how there is a misfire in the third spark plug, so I will look at that too and my cousin told me this special plug cost me 80 bucks to replace. dont know why but if it does misfire then there is somthing to fix I guess. Im looking at the fuel filter and see if I replace that. I will try all these and get back with you awsome people. Please feel free to let me know what else I should check or look into.

Your cousin told you spark plugs would cost you $80?

The spark plugs and wires shouldn't cost you anymore than about $30, if even that.
Vassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 12:05 AM   #15
cat5
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vassar
Your cousin told you spark plugs would cost you $80?

The spark plugs and wires shouldn't cost you anymore than about $30, if even that.


HI...thanks again all. My cousin said that the last two spark plugs has somthing to do with the carburator system and these are special plugs or whatever that will cost more. I have no idea but Im checking things out now.
cat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.