Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2005, 08:15 PM   #1
Nathan
CF Newbie

350 motor rebuild

Hey this may sound strange but i was wondering if someone could help me out. When i was young my father and i built a 350ci motor for my 1972 nova rest. project. It was a TRW kit. Now that i'm older i want to know what this kits specs mean. This is what i have wrote down. Lift Intake 442,Exhaust 465, Duration 50 thousandths 214 intake 224 exhaust,Duration 6 thousandths 288 intake 298 exhaust,Overlap at 60 thousandths 69 degrees, Top Centers 107 intake 117 exhaust, Cam Shaft Number 174 if you can help please reply.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 08:28 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan
Hey this may sound strange but i was wondering if someone could help me out. When i was young my father and i built a 350ci motor for my 1972 nova rest. project. It was a TRW kit. Now that i'm older i want to know what this kits specs mean. This is what i have wrote down. Lift Intake 442,Exhaust 465, Duration 50 thousandths 214 intake 224 exhaust,Duration 6 thousandths 288 intake 298 exhaust,Overlap at 60 thousandths 69 degrees, Top Centers 107 intake 117 exhaust, Cam Shaft Number 174 if you can help please reply.
There are literally hundreds of publications available that explain camshafts and all specifications relating to them. Have you taken the time to seek out any such pub or do you want someone here to do the thinking for you? You can be offended by the question if you chose, but it's an honest question.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 08:47 PM   #3
Nathan
CF Newbie

Thanks no offense

If you have the stuff to look it up that would be great
Old 10-31-2005, 08:55 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
If you have the stuff to look it up that would be great
In my world people do things for themselves BEFORE asking someone to do it for them. I certainly do have volumes of technical books that explain everything you're looking for. So does the library, I suggest you start there and then come back to ask for clarification.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 09:12 PM   #5
Nathan
CF Newbie

Look man i know i am called a newbie and you have a lot of replies but i guess i get on these sites to give you the benefit of the doubt that you may actually know something about what people need. But instead i guess you sit there and get off on bashing other people. I wonder what color the sky is in your world, i guess you have never ask for help, man how does it feel to be perfect. Later go read your F_ ck'n tech manuals
Old 10-31-2005, 09:39 PM   #6
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
In my world people do things for themselves BEFORE asking someone to do it for them. I certainly do have volumes of technical books that explain everything you're looking for. So does the library, I suggest you start there and then come back to ask for clarification.

Actually, Hobo, the web is an important source of information, much like asking your teacher back in school, or asking a fellow car club member. In fact, showing up to a site with people (i.e. resources) to answer questions is part of an intellignet method of research. Does it reall ymatter if you ask the question of a person in a position to answere it, or ask it of a book that a person in the poosition to answer it has written? In either case, it's information coming from someone else, and it's coming to you in written form...

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 09:52 PM   #7
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:

Now, at the risk of Hobo being right, and you never coming back and saying thank you, I'll make an attempt to give you simplified answers...

Lift is how high the valve is opened, in this case in inches (442 is 4.42") Overall lift determines how much air those valves let through the ports. Too much and you lose idle quality (and after a certain point, an engine simply won't draw more air. But that spec is determined by your exact engine combo: type of intake, type of exhast, etc.). Too little and your engine is starved for air at higher rpms.

Duration is how LONG the valve is opened in degrees (i.e. how much of the crank's rotation is made up of having the valve open some amount. And again, too much can negaively affect idle and low rpm power. Too little and the valves won't be open long enough to flow good at higher rpms.

Overlap is, as it implies how many degrees both valves in a cylinder are open. The centers are the degrees of separation between lobes.

The centerline spec and the duration spec can be used to calculate when the valves open and close in relation to the crankshaft's rotation.

The interrelation between these specs is kind of complex, and is directly affected by the rest of your combination (engine size, overbore, compression ratio, induction system, exhaust system).

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 10-31-2005, 10:08 PM   #8
Nathan
CF Newbie

Thanks

Thanks for your info, you sound like you actually no something unlike the previous pecker head, let me ask you does this sound like a O.K. kit to use or if you would change something what would it be. I am currently running this in my car but was wondering how to get more power out of what i have already got. 355 cu. since i bored it over 0.30 and i'm running hooker headers, regular 650cfm carb K&N breather, not sure on compression ratio.

Last edited by Nathan : 10-31-2005 at 10:13 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:16 PM   #9
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:

You have a typo ChrisV.

Nat here is what your scribblings mean:

Valve net lifts: intake valve = 0.442" , exhaust valve 0.465"
Cam durations at 0.05" = intake 214°, exhaust 224° (214°/224°)
Cam advertised duration (the 0.06" is for a hydraulic lifter) = intake 288°/298°
Overlap = 69°
Centrelines = intake 107°, exhaust 117°

The cam sounds like a mild street setup with some driveability.

Last edited by Wally : 10-31-2005 at 10:23 PM.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 10:30 PM   #10
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
You have a typo ChrisV.

Nat here is what your scribblings mean:

Valve net lifts: intake valve = 0.442" , exhaust valve 0.465"
Cam durations at 0.05" = intake 214°, exhaust 224° (214°/224°)
Cam advertised duration (the 0.06" is for a hydraulic lifter) = intake 288°/298°
Overlap = 69°
Centrelines = intake 107°, exhaust 117°

The cam sounds like a mild street setup with some driveability.

Yeah, the period got moved. And it appears I forgot an end parenth, as well. Hell, usually there's a couple "teh's" and a misplaced space bar hit, as well.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 10-31-2005, 10:39 PM   #11
Nathan
CF Newbie

Thanks Wally

What would you do different. Change cam?
Old 10-31-2005, 10:40 PM   #12
Wally
I Know More Than You

I don't know what's wrong with this site, but it either freezes on me or only puts part of the post in.

Nathan here are your cam events derived from the data your provided

intake 37°BTDC / 71°ABDC (37/71)
exhaust 86°BBDC/32° ATDC (86/32)
intake advanced 5°

Remind me not to buy a cam from you ChrisV, although 4" lift does sound adventurous
Old 10-31-2005, 10:43 PM   #13
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
I don't know what's wrong with this site, but it either freezes on me or only puts part of the post in.

Nathan here are your cam events derived from the data your provided

intake 37°BTDC / 71°ABDC (37/71)
exhaust 86°BBDC/32° ATDC (86/32)
intake advanced 5°

Remind me not to buy a cam from you ChrisV, although 4" lift does sound adventurous

Good thing I don't sell 'em. Of course, if I did, I could probably cut 'n paste from the manufacturer's specs...

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 10-31-2005, 11:14 PM   #14
Wally
I Know More Than You

I don't get the cut 'n paste thing ChrisV? He provided all the info and it isn't hard to work out the rest.

Quote:
What would you do different. Change cam?

350 chev

What we need to know from you is what head work you had done. e.g. valve sizes, spring rates, porting, etc. What your exhaust primary and secondary sizes are. What intake manifold type you have.

On the face of it you could look at your rocker ratio to get those lifts up around the 0.5" mark, but you will need dampeners if you go that way.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:23 PM   #15
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Thanks for your info, you sound like you actually no something unlike the previous pecker head, let me ask you does this sound like a O.K. kit to use or if you would change something what would it be. I am currently running this in my car but was wondering how to get more power out of what i have already got. 355 cu. since i bored it over 0.30 and i'm running hooker headers, regular 650cfm carb K&N breather, not sure on compression ratio.

It appears to me that hobo knows his stuff, but the way he is makes reading anything he says not worthwhile.

Hmm, I guess all those years I spent in school were wasted because I shouldve just went to the library to teach myself everything then, eh hobo?