Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2005, 08:24 PM   #1
chris945
CF Newbie

Another turbo question

I know that questions about turbochargers seem to be running rampant but I have to ask. I am fixing to buy a newer engine for my 1985 porsche 944 (na). So I will only have about 60k miles on the newer engine instead of almost 200k miles. I am seriously thinking about adding a turbo to the newer engine and I am wondering if anyone out there knows of a particular turbocharger that would be good for my car?
chris945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 08:29 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris945
I know that questions about turbochargers seem to be running rampant but I have to ask. I am fixing to buy a newer engine for my 1985 porsche 944 (na). So I will only have about 60k miles on the newer engine instead of almost 200k miles. I am seriously thinking about adding a turbo to the newer engine and I am wondering if anyone out there knows of a particular turbocharger that would be good for my car?
Yeah, it's called the factory set-up on a 944 Turbo. Get a wrecked car and transfer everything you need.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 08:35 PM   #3
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Yeah, it's called the factory set-up on a 944 Turbo. Get a wrecked car and transfer everything you need.

Your image is having difficulties.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:41 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaman
Your image is having difficulties.
Are you sure? I can see it just fine.

http://ducati.itgo.com/pictures/944/p6/por6.jpg

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 11-02-2005, 08:42 PM   #5
chris945
CF Newbie

what all parts would I have to upgrade or change over to turn it into the factory turbo. When I first bought the car I checked into it and I was told that I would have to upgrade a TON of things.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:45 PM   #6
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Are you sure? I can see it just fine.

http://ducati.itgo.com/pictures/944/p6/por6.jpg
I can now too, I got a "Remote Linking Forbidden" message earlier. Damn wireless network.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:45 PM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
what all parts would I have to upgrade or change over to turn it into the factory turbo. When I first bought the car I checked into it and I was told that I would have to upgrade a TON of things.
I'll be honest with you, I don't really know. The only time that I did it we has a perfectly straight 944 and a totalled Turbo. All we did was gut the 944 and then put the complete Turbo drivetrain into it.

Old 11-02-2005, 10:34 PM   #8
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Quote:
Like vwhobo said, if you had a wrecked 944 turbo then you just swap the entire motor, trans, rear-end, drive shafts, and half-shafts.

If you were going to put the turbo set-up on your current motor, then you would have to swap out a lot of components.

Come to Wisconsin and smell our dairy air.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 11:01 PM   #9
chris945
CF Newbie

I have been looking for a 944 turbo for quite some time now and have found 0 of them. Not even a totalled one. Guess I either have to head off to Dallas or just go with a different turbo.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:53 AM   #10
x1/9-rally
CF Enthusiast

Well i gotta agree with VwHobo on this one all the way. It would be better to get the factory turbo set up than to half ass one on there, as I'm sure no one makes a turbo kit for a 944( at least not any more),and if they did it would cost probably more than the car is worth(blue book wise not what you personally value the car at). And you could always upgrade the factory turbo set up with bigger turbo, or a waste gate and blow off valve,or maybe an intercooler if you want. But at the least the factory turbo would be a good starting point and the cheapest.
x1/9-rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 04:33 PM   #11
Inygknok
El del Supra

could get the stock turbo manifold and get custom flanges done to it to support a bigger turbo and an external W/G (if u buy a turbo without an internal ofc). just throwing in another idea.

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote