Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2005, 05:33 AM   #1
Nissan_Altima
Biggest anti-post whore
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 760
Accident Assessment

A genius buddy of mine was backing out, and hit a 2005 Nissan Altima. There was no enormous damage. The Altima's bumper and hood got minor scratches. Also, the hood is now like "elevated' by an inch or so. I'm not sure if this is because it is bent, or the latch is damaged or something. If I didn't miss anything else, what would you say the total cost of repairs will be, providing it's done by a pro?
Nissan_Altima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 05:36 AM   #2
hondaman
I drive a Buick.
 
hondaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Somewhere in Alabama
Posts: 1,432
It might help to see some detailed pictures.

But, on a guess...I'd say at most a few hundred bucks.
__________________

Last edited by hondaman : 11-04-2005 at 05:38 AM.
hondaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 06:42 AM   #3
adamc44
CF Freak
 
adamc44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: west portsmouth ohio
Posts: 775
id say at least 500
__________________
AMERICA: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT

http://www.myspace.com/adamc44

adamc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 08:40 AM   #4
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan_Altima
A genius buddy of mine was backing out, and hit a 2005 Nissan Altima. There was no enormous damage. The Altima's bumper and hood got minor scratches. Also, the hood is now like "elevated' by an inch or so. I'm not sure if this is because it is bent, or the latch is damaged or something. If I didn't miss anything else, what would you say the total cost of repairs will be, providing it's done by a pro?

If it's a front or rear bumper it'll probably be about $100-$150 or so to repaint it but if the bumper is screwed tack on another $200-$250 for a new bumper. As for the hood, it needs to be replaced.
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 07:01 PM   #5
420amodder
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 95
Well I got the estimate today. Yall arent gona believe this. New hood, New grille, New bumper (BS it just needs to be painted). Grand total...$2000!!!
I hit a 2002 Nissan Altima SE-R
Unbelievable. I will tell insurance my dad was driving at the time because the people dont care they just want the car fixed. At least this way my insurance wont spike.
420amodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 07:29 PM   #6
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420amodder
Well I got the estimate today. Yall arent gona believe this. New hood, New grille, New bumper (BS it just needs to be painted). Grand total...$2000!!!
I hit a 2002 Nissan Altima SE-R
Unbelievable. I will tell insurance my dad was driving at the time because the people dont care they just want the car fixed. At least this way my insurance wont spike.

You mean 2002 Altima 3.5SE? They didnt have a Altima SE-R in 2002. It's brand new for 2006.

Anyways, that's a bogus estimate. New front bumper - $250 max, New Grille - $50 (made of cheap plastic! go to the damn junkyard) and new hood - $500max. Even after paint it should be no mroe than a grand.
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 07:50 PM   #7
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
In the first post, it says 2005 Altima... Hmmm.

Anyhow, I'm going to asume that there's more to this than meets the eye. A hood, front bumper, grille, then the bumper inner supports. If the hood is bent and the bumper/grill is smashed, then the radiator support will be bent, and it needs to be straightened so everything lines up. Then you not only have to paint the hood and bumper, but blend on the fenders (2.5 hours each). With new parts on a newer car, yeah, I can see 2 grand with the labor included (as there's more than just R&R on the body parts). Hell, with normal quality factory metallic paint, there's probably $500 just in the paint materials. 10 hours labor in just the repaint (2.5 hours per panel by the book, so hood, bumper, both front fenders) @ $50 an hour comes up to $500 in labor for the repaint. That's a grand and we haven't gotten to the actual parts cost OR labor for R&R and straightening the substructure.
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 07:54 PM   #8
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
In the first post, it says 2005 Altima... Hmmm.

Anyhow, I'm going to asume that there's more to this than meets the eye. A hood, front bumper, grille, then the bumper inner supports. If the hood is bent and the bumper/grill is smashed, then the radiator support will be bent, and it needs to be straightened so everything lines up. Then you not only have to paint the hood and bumper, but blend on the fenders (2.5 hours each). With new parts on a newer car, yeah, I can see 2 grand with the labor included (as there's more than just R&R on the body parts). Hell, with normal quality factory metallic paint, there's probably $500 just in the paint materials. 10 hours labor in just the repaint (2.5 hours per panel by the book, so hood, bumper, both front fenders) @ $50 an hour comes up to $500 in labor for the repaint. That's a grand and we haven't gotten to the actual parts cost OR labor for R&R and straightening the substructure.

Time for a new car!
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 08:32 PM   #9
420amodder
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 95
Yea it was a 3.5 SE sorry. I hit her with an impact that her car was in park and rolled about about 100 feet, and the transmission was clicking, and her car right before it stopped rolled right by an alluminum post. Ironically, there is NO damage to the neon. I think I will take it to insurance, nad they will raise my dad's rate by 10% for 2 years Il say he was driving. But itl be cheaper than paying 2000 cash. Because he pays 99 for his car now a month, so itl only be a little over 200 over the course of 2 years. Cant beat that.
420amodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 08:34 PM   #10
99integra
CF's Florida boy
 
99integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 6,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420amodder
Well I got the estimate today. Yall arent gona believe this. New hood, New grille, New bumper (BS it just needs to be painted). Grand total...$2000!!!
I hit a 2002 Nissan Altima SE-R
Unbelievable. I will tell insurance my dad was driving at the time because the people dont care they just want the car fixed. At least this way my insurance wont spike.
Why doesn't it suprise me that you were the "genious" buddy of his
__________________
Current whip: walking
99integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 08:36 PM   #11
420amodder
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
Why doesn't it suprise me that you were the "genious" buddy of his
Because it was dark, and I could not see...
420amodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 08:54 PM   #12
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420amodder
Because it was dark, and I could not see...

So what were you doing backing up fast enough to cause this:

"I hit her with an impact that her car was in park and rolled about about 100 feet"

...when you couldn't see?

__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 09:03 PM   #13
420amodder
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
So what were you doing backing up fast enough to cause this:

"I hit her with an impact that her car was in park and rolled about about 100 feet"

...when you couldn't see?

420amodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 09:20 PM   #14
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire
 
PontiacFan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Grove City, PA
Posts: 1,332
A buddy of mine hit his brother going pretty slow and his hood is elevated to. The reason his is higher is because the frame is bent that the latch is on. It could be that, which means big $$.
__________________
PontiacFan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 10:57 PM   #15
420amodder
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
A buddy of mine hit his brother going pretty slow and his hood is elevated to. The reason his is higher is because the frame is bent that the latch is on. It could be that, which means big $$.
$2000 is the total to fix it. Guess insurance will pay
420amodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.