Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Community Central > Feedback & Suggestions
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2005, 04:56 PM   #1
Inygknok
El del Supra

Quoting

im not sure if the forum codings of today have this simple feature, but if possible. do u mods think u can enable some sort of simple feature that allows us to do multiple quotes without having to write the tags and the damn long complex names of some of the new users?

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 07:47 PM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inygknok
im not sure if the forum codings of today have this simple feature, but if possible. do u mods think u can enable some sort of simple feature that allows us to do multiple quotes without having to write the tags and the damn long complex names of some of the new users?
I dont think anybody other than an Admin can enable that....even he might have his work cut out there!

I know what you mean though, it would be alot easier....save the old copy/paste...and/or double posting!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 08:08 PM   #3
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Could you show us a forum that actually has that capability? I've never seen the ability to do multiple quotes in any forum software.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 10:23 PM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Could you show us a forum that actually has that capability? I've never seen the ability to do multiple quotes in any forum software.
I think Forum Software is constantly updating and new and improved features keep on appearing....I'm not too familliar with the Admin features of V-bulletin boards

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 11-04-2005, 11:01 PM   #5
chris_knows
๑۩۞

It would be easier that way...all you do is offset the parameters for the vBulletin processors by oh, say 2 gigs would do, then just disable all peripherals over 360hz, upload the geometric gyroscope calculator (ggc), and type a simple html file...ask me if you want it, but shouldn't take over an hour if you know what you're doing

J/K!! But I probably confused some of you
Old 11-04-2005, 11:07 PM   #6
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
It would be easier that way...all you do is offset the parameters for the vBulletin processors by oh, say 2 gigs would do, then just disable all peripherals over 360hz, upload the geometric gyroscope calculator (ggc), and type a simple html file...ask me if you want it, but shouldn't take over an hour if you know what you're doing

lol....so were all those technical terms BS....Or do you know about this stuff? lol

Old 11-04-2005, 11:12 PM   #7
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
lol....so were all those technical terms BS....Or do you know about this stuff? lol

Honestly? It was BS...I was just using words that I've heard about computers, and video game systems, but I know nothing about what any of them mean but I'd like to learn some time

But in my fantasy dream land, it's a code to program a TV tuner in a Skyline to get satellite

But some people on this forum would probably know what to do and what cables to pull at
Old 11-05-2005, 12:10 AM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Honestly? It was BS...I was just using words that I've heard about computers, and video game systems, but I know nothing about what any of them mean but I'd like to learn some time

But in my fantasy dream land, it's a code to program a TV tuner in a Skyline to get satellite

But some people on this forum would probably know what to do and what cables to pull at
I understand

Old 11-05-2005, 03:30 AM   #9
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:

Quote:

Negative. VBulletin has no "processors," nor do "processors" have parameters, nor do gigabytes (gigs) have anything to do with anything other than a unit of measure for data. Neither does the next part link together for itself, or anything you've so far said. A geometric gyroscope calculator is used for nothing more than sharpening pencils. The HTML file you talked about is close. Modifying the javascript (I'm assuming javascript) code would simply do the task at hand.

As Cliffy would say,
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 01:33 PM   #10
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
..... Modifying the javascript (I'm assuming javascript) code would simply do the task at hand.

A little more powerful than javascript. Try SQL and PHP. Windows has a handy function called cut 'n paste that may be worth trying.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:24 PM   #11
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Windows has a handy function called cut 'n paste that may be worth trying.
That's what most members do already...I think the main problem is that it's an added hassle.....but, if it has to be done, it has to be done lol

Old 11-06-2005, 02:09 AM   #12
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
A little more powerful than javascript. Try SQL and PHP. Windows has a handy function called cut 'n paste that may be worth trying.
Negative there, too. SQL (in this case, it's MySQL) is pretty much a database, and the coding used on vbulletin is simply for sending, receiving, and working with data, as that's about all it's good for. PHP (Hypertext Preprocessor) is server-side only, which won't do sh*t with a GUI whereas Javascript is both server-side and client-side and IS infact what will do the task at hand as previously stated by me, and is *PROBABLY* (without hitting view source and looking) is what is used for the quoting system in question presently. I should know all of this, as I've made 2 forums coded by hand with notepad myself, Wally.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 03:49 PM   #13
Inygknok
El del Supra

Quote:
havent seen any, but i thought i would throw out the idea in the open. just a simple suggestion to make our lazy lives even lazier.

Old 11-09-2005, 04:10 PM   #14
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

The problem is that how would you tell the software WHICH posts you wanted to quote? How is it going to know if you want to quote one, two, every other post, one post on this page and one or two on the next page, etc? You'd have to set up a checkbox on each post, go through each one that you wanted to quote to and check that box, and somehow the software would know which of them and in what order.

It's quicker and simpler to cut 'n paste.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 09:08 PM   #15
Inygknok
El del Supra

Quote:
The problem is that how would you tell the software WHICH posts you wanted to quote? How is it going to know if you want to quote one, two, every other post, one post on this page and one or two on the next page, etc? You'd have to set up a checkbox on each post, go through each one that you wanted to quote to and check that box, and somehow the software would know which of them and in what order.

It's quicker and simpler to cut 'n paste.
still an idea though..... much faster on threads with multiple pages too btw.