Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2005, 09:12 PM   #1
MBULL
CF Newbie

brake caliper removal

I am new to car repair and need info on how to remove front brake caliper on a ford aerostar. Does it take a special tool to remove the pins going thru the caliper?
MBULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 12:22 AM   #2
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBULL
I am new to car repair and need info on how to remove front brake caliper on a ford aerostar. Does it take a special tool to remove the pins going thru the caliper?

check the pic u have to get them past the keepers(bent edge on pin)you can use a flat head screwdriver or a 3/8 extention as a punch to knock them out
then they will slide out towards the inside if they fall apart 2 metal sides and the rubber center they should be replaced

without seeing or hearing your problem all i can do is offer advice on what to check
my new toy

<Link removed>......Please read the rules on advertising!
osborste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 03:32 AM   #3
MBULL
CF Newbie

Thank you for the solution to my first adventure of brake repair. Now maybe I can get the pads unstuck from the disc and it will unlock. Today was my lucky day to find this site.
Thanks again
MBULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 04:55 AM   #4
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBULL
Thank you for the solution to my first adventure of brake repair. Now maybe I can get the pads unstuck from the disc and it will unlock. Today was my lucky day to find this site.
Thanks again

are the front brakes locked on as if you were stepping on the brake pedal
i know lots of tech's like to lube the hell out of these pins but that just attracts brake dust and dirt and if you use a petrolem based product it tends to swell the rubber locking/limiting the calipers movement on the slides burning out one of the pad long before the other
i like to clean/scrape the pins/caliper groves/spindle groves(if there real bad a small triangle file works good to remove the rust and gunk) then just a small coating of caliper slide lube ment for brakes on the pins or groves

without seeing or hearing your problem all i can do is offer advice on what to check
my new toy

<Link removed>......Please read the rules on advertising!
osborste is offline   Reply With Quote