Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2005, 04:26 AM   #1
Aondor
CF Addict
 
Aondor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 452
blower?

how much hp does a blowe kit actualy give to your car
Aondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 04:29 AM   #2
99integra
CF's Florida boy
 
99integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 6,099
75-120
__________________
Current whip: walking
99integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 04:48 AM   #3
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
It'll depend on the car, turbo, and it's size, bigger=more power, but slower acceleration, but as Steven said, 75-120 typically
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 05:21 AM   #4
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise
 
Godlaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
bigger=more power, but slower acceleration
?????

------------------------

A blower adds any amount of horsepower you want it to.
Godlaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 05:23 AM   #5
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
?????

------------------------

A blower adds any amount of horsepower you want it to.

Yes, but a bigger turbo is capable of more power than a smaller one, but it takes longer for the smaller one to spool...
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 05:26 AM   #6
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise
 
Godlaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Yes, but a bigger turbo is capable of more power than a smaller one, but it takes longer for the smaller one to spool...

A blower refers to a belt driven supercharger.

And a turbocharger will never decrease your acceleration over the natural induction motor's acceleration.
Godlaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 05:28 AM   #7
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
A blower refers to a belt driven supercharger.

And a turbocharger will never decrease your acceleration over the natural induction motor's acceleration.

Boy do I feel stupid
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 05:29 AM   #8
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise
 
Godlaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Boy do I feel stupid
No problem, we all make mistakes, just don't let them get ta ya .
Godlaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 01:48 PM   #9
glagon1979
daddy x3
 
glagon1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: back in Williamson, NY
Posts: 1,101
what car is all this going on? it really all depends on what its going on
__________________
this forum is to dead to share a cool sig with everybody....
glagon1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 07:26 AM   #10
Aondor
CF Addict
 
Aondor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 452
reply

This is going on a 1973 mercury comet with a 351 windsor
Aondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 02:56 PM   #11
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
And a turbocharger will never decrease your acceleration over the natural induction motor's acceleration.
Well, that's generally an incorrect statement. Most if not all factory torbocharged engines and many other aftermarket/custom built turbod engines run with a lower compression ratios. Due to that fact, until the turbo begins to spool they will generally produce less torque and therefore less power/acceleration. Hence the dilemma known as turbo lag.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 04:53 PM   #12
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire
 
PontiacFan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Grove City, PA
Posts: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Well, that's generally an incorrect statement. Most if not all factory torbocharged engines and many other aftermarket/custom built turbod engines run with a lower compression ratios. Due to that fact, until the turbo begins to spool they will generally produce less torque and therefore less power/acceleration. Hence the dilemma known as turbo lag.

I think the point he was making is that with or without the turbo the same engine will not make any different amount of power until it spools.
__________________
PontiacFan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 05:01 PM   #13
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
I think the point he was making is that with or without the turbo the same engine will not make any different amount of power until it spools.
Did you read what I posted or are you just trying to show your ignorance. If you take two engines that have identical specifications except for compression ratios (within the realm of reasonable compression and fuel available) the one with lower compression will ALWAYS produce less power. That's just the way it is and your opinion won't won't change physics. Because of the lower power output prior to having pressurized induction, it increases the impression of the lag. It's really a pretty simple concept if you think about it.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 05:14 PM   #14
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire
 
PontiacFan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Grove City, PA
Posts: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Did you read what I posted or are you just trying to show your ignorance. If you take two engines that have identical specifications except for compression ratios (within the realm of reasonable compression and fuel available) the one with lower compression will ALWAYS produce less power. That's just the way it is and your opinion won't won't change physics. Because of the lower power output prior to having pressurized induction, it increases the impression of the lag. It's really a pretty simple concept if you think about it.

I think you're missing my point. I understand what you are saying about compression ratios. I'm saying the point he was trying to make was two IDENTICAL ENGINES, including compression ratio, but one has a turbo and the other ones doesnt, will produce no different power until the turbo spools.
__________________
PontiacFan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 05:27 PM   #15
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
I think you're missing my point. I understand what you are saying about compression ratios. I'm saying the point he was trying to make was two IDENTICAL ENGINES, including compression ratio, but one has a turbo and the other ones doesnt, will produce no different power until the turbo spools.
Okay, gotcha. I understand and am in more agreement with the statement when presented like that. I was taking into consideration real world design and specification as opposed to simple theory.

On the other hand, in the real world a turbo produces some slight additional backpressure while running in naturally aspirated mode (no boost) which would reduce power production slightly AND the car has to carry the additional weight of the turbo, plumbing, etc. Increased weight always equals decreased acceleration for a given power output. Outside of a laboratory or dyno cell I stand by my original explanation/statement.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.