Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2005, 03:32 PM   #1
missyt_00
CF Newbie

Question Spark Plug Question..

Hi! I have a general question about a repair! I am a military spouse and my husband usually does the maintence himself for our vehicle but he is not available...

SO, here is my issue. I took my 2000 Chevy Impala in to have the spark plugs changed. They added an ignition wire onto to that and so now today I just got my car back and it still doesn't start up the first time. Is that normal right after getting them changed?? We are stationed overseas so of course we had to send for the parts so it's been a wait just to get the parts! I feel so un-educated when it comes to cars! I'm going to take it back in Monday morning but I was curious and thought I would check out my resources.

Oh, also, all the mechanics are German so that makes me a little nervous having them work on my "american" car but I don't really have a choice!

Any help is useful! Thanks!
missyt_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 03:55 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyt_00
Hi! I have a general question about a repair! I am a military spouse and my husband usually does the maintence himself for our vehicle but he is not available...

SO, here is my issue. I took my 2000 Chevy Impala in to have the spark plugs changed. They added an ignition wire onto to that and so now today I just got my car back and it still doesn't start up the first time. Is that normal right after getting them changed?? We are stationed overseas so of course we had to send for the parts so it's been a wait just to get the parts! I feel so un-educated when it comes to cars! I'm going to take it back in Monday morning but I was curious and thought I would check out my resources.

Oh, also, all the mechanics are German so that makes me a little nervous having them work on my "american" car but I don't really have a choice!

Any help is useful! Thanks!
No, it's not normal for your car to not start right up, especially after getting the plugs replaced. Of course, that begs the question, why did you have them replaced to begin with? There may be a problem that has nothing to do with the plugs?

Also out of curiosity, where are you stationed? I have friends at a few bases in Germany (I'm a retires E8) who are qualified techs and may be able to help you out with parts and repair intead of having the AAFES "mechanics" working on it.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 10:52 PM   #3
missyt_00
CF Newbie

I'm in Baumholder. It's about 20 miles from Ramstein AFB. (Usually everyone knows where Ramstein is)

Anyway, we are at our first PCS so this AAFES auto repair is making me a little nervous! First off, my car wasn't starting on the first time....so they hooked it up to that little machine (whatever it's called) and then told me it was the spark plugs. They are the one's that said it was the plugs and wire.
I wish AAFES had some kind of gaurentee but I guess that's too perfect of a world and well, you just don't get that in the army!

So after 320$ for parts and labor, my car still has the issue. I guess it's frustrating b/c I know my husband could do it and we should have thought of that earlier but too late now!

THanks for the info! Familiar with anyone is Western Germany?
missyt_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 10:59 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyt_00
I'm in Baumholder. It's about 20 miles from Ramstein AFB. (Usually everyone knows where Ramstein is)

Anyway, we are at our first PCS so this AAFES auto repair is making me a little nervous! First off, my car wasn't starting on the first time....so they hooked it up to that little machine (whatever it's called) and then told me it was the spark plugs. They are the one's that said it was the plugs and wire.
I wish AAFES had some kind of gaurentee but I guess that's too perfect of a world and well, you just don't get that in the army!

So after 320$ for parts and labor, my car still has the issue. I guess it's frustrating b/c I know my husband could do it and we should have thought of that earlier but too late now!

THanks for the info! Familiar with anyone is Western Germany?
Well I don't know enough about what's going on with your car to tell you what is wrong with it, and I understand that you can't provide me with more info than you have, so...

My first suggestion is to stay as far away from AAFES as you possibly can. Use them for the cheap gas and keep driving. The last person I knew who was at Ramstein left a few months ago and I don't know anybody at Baumholder (I was Air Force), but I do have some advice. Go to Ramstein and find the Auto Hobby Shop, now probably called the Auto Skills Center. They should be much better able to help you with your car as most of the guys doing customer work will be Americans with experience on American cars.

I know that's not great advice but it's the best I have for you today. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote