Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2004, 10:15 AM   #1
lectroid
0000?

Superwhites

Has anyone used the xenon superwhite stock replacement headlamps? If so, what do you think of them?
Old 03-05-2004, 01:13 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lectroid
Has anyone used the xenon superwhite stock replacement headlamps? If so, what do you think of them?
I have no opinion on the style or cosmetic differences. Functionally they seem to be a good product, if a bit expensive at this time. Installed in a quality headlight with good optics, they provide a whiter light and perhaps an additional 100 feet of night vision. Plugged into a crap headlight they're just bright.

My wife says they're worth 5 mph on the way to work in the early AM. Your results may vary.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 04:30 PM   #3
67Pony
CF Newbie

Xenon lights are great if youre the driver because unlike normal lights. They employ atomic noble gas spectroscopy that can excite electrons much better than molecular spectroscopy(normal lights employing a standard tungsten filament). The higher the concentration of excited electrons the more white light is produced, as per the Boltzmann equation for all the chemists out there. The other cool thing is this lamp doesnt really need to much more current than normal light either. The one problem I see with, and why I would ultimately not get them is because, there are other drivers on the road, and when I drive and see bright ass Xenon light coming towards me in the opposite line of traffic, theyre so bright that its it like looking into someones brights. In the end why is it important to see able to an additional 50 yards. Especially when the bright light could distract other drivers and possibly cause an accident. I dont know maybe Im wrong but thats what I think.
67Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 04:47 PM   #4
Vaspier
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Pony
Xenon lights are great if youre the driver because unlike normal lights. They employ atomic noble gas spectroscopy that can excite electrons much better than molecular spectroscopy(normal lights employing a standard tungsten filament). The higher the concentration of excited electrons the more white light is produced, as per the Boltzmann equation for all the chemists out there. The other cool thing is this lamp doesnt really need to much more current than normal light either. The one problem I see with, and why I would ultimately not get them is because, there are other drivers on the road, and when I drive and see bright ass Xenon light coming towards me in the opposite line of traffic, theyre so bright that its it like looking into someones brights. In the end why is it important to see able to an additional 50 yards. Especially when the bright light could distract other drivers and possibly cause an accident. I dont know maybe Im wrong but thats what I think.

I sort of see what you're getting at Pony. Alot of people in my city have the Xenon lights and the truth is you get used the them. and when you're driving on the highway at night or early morning an extra 50 yards is an awful lot of extra sight that you will be glad to have. If you live in an area like me where there are alot of wild animals near the highways you will know why they come in handy. Much better to see a deer 50 yards further than you could before when you're going at 110kph.

Embrace the Dart.
Vaspier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 04:54 PM   #5
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
...and when I drive and see bright ass Xenon light coming towards me in the opposite line of traffic, theyre so bright that its it like looking into someones brights.

When you see true angel eyes coming at ya...just steer clear and you'll be ok...

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 06:16 PM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Thank you for the technical explanation, which is about 18" over my head. Here is the fly in your ointment which I mentioned in my first post but didn't specify. Being blinded by oncoming headlights, no matter what type of filiment is used, is a function of aim and optics.

Having your headlights properly aimed is entirely up the the vehicle owner, most of whom aren't smart enough to find their ass with both hands. As with so many other items on a vehicle, proper headlight aim is not a set and forget thing but a preventative maintenance thing. Again, most people have no concept or concern about preventative maintenance.

As far as optics go, that is up to the manufacturer. European headlights are famous for their low and distinct cutoff so light intensity is not an issue. On the other hand many cars have headlights so poorly designed all they do is glow and glare. Try driving a '96ish Dodge Stratus for a perfect example.

But I do agree in to a point. Let's just say that in untrained or uncaring hands, headlights that bright can be dangerous.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 07:54 PM   #7
67Pony
CF Newbie

Having your headlights properly aimed is entirely up the the vehicle owner, most of whom aren't smart enough to find their ass with both hands. As with so many other items on a vehicle, proper headlight aim is not a set and forget thing but a preventative maintenance thing. Again, most people have no concept or concern about preventative maintenance.
-vwhobo

I agree completely, yet another reason why I hate SUV owners.
67Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 08:40 PM   #8
enron fever
CF Addict

Quote:
-vwhobo

I agree completely, yet another reason why I hate SUV owners.
especially SUV owners who have their Fog lights on even when it quite obivously isn't foggy. or when some dumb**** in an F-150 damn near runs over ur front end because he's a dumbass who can't decide which lane he wants to be in.

or maybe that's just me
enron fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 08:43 PM   #9
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by enron fever
especially SUV owners who have their Fog lights on even when it quite obivously isn't foggy. or when some dumb**** in an F-150 damn near runs over ur front end because he's a dumbass who can't decide which lane he wants to be in.

or maybe that's just me

My driving lights are always on with my headlights...

Old 03-05-2004, 08:45 PM   #10
enron fever
CF Addict

driving lights? you mean fog lights? and if so, why?? i don't have my A/C on in the winter (unless i need a quick defog).
enron fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 08:48 PM   #11
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by enron fever
driving lights? you mean fog lights? and if so, why?? i don't have my A/C on in the winter (unless i need a quick defog).

Ummm...fog lights would be amber in color...driving lights are white...not as useful in "white" fog!

Old 03-05-2004, 08:53 PM   #12
lectroid
0000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
My driving lights are always on with my headlights...
WHY????
Old 03-05-2004, 08:57 PM   #13
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
WHY????

Too lazy to switch them off

Old 03-05-2004, 09:04 PM   #14
lectroid
0000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
Too lazy to switch them off

You can type on a keyboard, but are to lazy to punch a button ? Come on now
Old 03-05-2004, 09:14 PM   #15
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
You can type on a keyboard, but are to lazy to punch a button ? Come on now

I've got to reach "way" over to my left...zero in on the thing...and push. Not worth my effort. Plus...they're intimidating...