Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2005, 04:06 PM   #1
DiabloSV
CF Newbie

Almost got tagged......

Talk about a close call......

On Sunday afternoon I took a ride up and down the interstate...not that i was moving too fast, but I did top it out at 145Mph...and I got to run with a nice Firebird Convertible 400 (looked like late 60's early 70's)...we had a good time...

I went up about 12 exits (having driven south first- turning around then going back north), and took a pit stop at a gas station...rested, caught my breathe..and got back on the road.

On my way back (which was only 5 exits to the house) I was "clocked" by-....5 patrol cars and 1 State Trooper...within 5 exits...they weren't there 15-20 minutes earlier....close call!!!

Heee-heeeeeeeeeee
Old 11-07-2005, 04:25 PM   #2
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

So you've just proven how idiotic you are to be traveling 145 on an interstate. Good job.

And then to go bragging about it too. Real nice.

I wish you would have gotten tagged. Perhaps it would have knocked some sense into you.

Come to Wisconsin and smell our dairy air.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 04:32 PM   #3
DiabloSV
CF Newbie

It wasn't quite like that....
There are 4 lanes, with approx. 1-2 miles visibility, and there were no other vehicles on the road...and no on ramps.
Just briefly opened it in a small stretch of road, then brought it back down....

Maybe I need to attempt this on a track? Close to Barber Motor Speedway, and Atlanta Motor speedway....

Anyone in the SE want to go in on a track day?
Old 11-07-2005, 05:05 PM   #4
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Unlike street racing, there have been times that 100+ on a wide open interstate has been as safe as 70. I did 140+ crossing Montana, and done faster than that a few times on pretty barren stretches of multi-lane. Thre are a lot of interstates out there that have gentle curves and VERY limited access, so there won't usually be people just walking across intersections or pulling out of blind side streets.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 05:30 PM   #5
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloSV
..... and there were no other vehicles on the road...and no on ramps.....
Really? So this was just a figment of your imagination then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloSV
......and I got to run with a nice Firebird Convertible 400 (looked like late 60's early 70's)...we had a good time........

Yeah, I think track day would be better.

Old 11-07-2005, 05:33 PM   #6
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Unlike street racing, there have been times that 100+ on a wide open interstate has been as safe as 70. I did 140+ crossing Montana, and done faster than that a few times on pretty barren stretches of multi-lane. Thre are a lot of interstates out there that have gentle curves and VERY limited access, so there won't usually be people just walking across intersections or pulling out of blind side streets.
Of course there is the occasional bull moose, mule deer, or other assorted animal that may want "to get to the other side".

Old 11-07-2005, 05:40 PM   #7
enron fever
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman352001
Of course there is the occasional bull moose, mule deer, or other assorted animal that may want "to get to the other side".
speed has nothing to do with bull moose, mule deer, or other assorted animal. you could be going 3mph and they would still stand there and wait for you to hit them.
enron fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 05:47 PM   #8
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:

That'll happen at 70 and it could still kill you. And an interstate isn't quite like a deserted backwoods road in that regard, either.

There's being cautious, and then there's being unreasonably paranoid.

A couple cars going rapidly like that has been the staple of street performance cars since they existed, and good high speed drives have been the staple of automotive journalism for decades.

It's no different safety-wise than doing a buck fifty on the autobahn or autostrada, except there is less traffic.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 11-07-2005, 06:04 PM   #9
DiabloSV
CF Newbie

It was basically a quick run up, and then i let it slow without frying my brakes....

And in a way I agree there could have the unavoidable deer factor, (considering this was heading into the N.GA mountains....but I guess that's a risk you take at any speed.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:29 PM   #10
SyntheticTrust
Female of the *****

Becareful!! SEATBELTS!

Whoever said money doesn't buy happiness obviously doesn't know where to buy a HORSE.
SyntheticTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 07:01 PM   #11
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticTrust
Becareful!! SEATBELTS!

And proper hand position, and no driving on the shoulder to pass people, and no passengers, and...

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 11-07-2005, 07:02 PM   #12
SyntheticTrust
Female of the *****

Quote:
And proper hand position, and no driving on the shoulder to pass people, and no passengers, and...
What was that for?

Whoever said money doesn't buy happiness obviously doesn't know where to buy a HORSE.
SyntheticTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 07:27 PM   #13
Inygknok
El del Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticTrust
What was that for?
he was adding extra logical safety precautions that should be obvious in these conditions.... not sure if he was trying to mock you a bit.....

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 07:45 PM   #14
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Quote:
That'll happen at 70 and it could still kill you. And an interstate isn't quite like a deserted backwoods road in that regard, either.

There's being cautious, and then there's being unreasonably paranoid.....
You're absolutely right, it CAN happen at 70 and apparently it does considering the number of deer I see on the side of the interstate.

Now double that speed and, I know you know this, you lengthen your stopping distance and by the time you react to something in the road your twice as close as you would have been at 70 mph.

Now at 70 mph you would likely survive hitting a racoon or something that size. Would you at 140? Could you still control the car after the impact?

Perhaps I'm being paranoid.... perhaps I'm just trying to talk some sense into people. Either way, I'm not being unreasonable.

Old 11-07-2005, 08:09 PM   #15
DiabloSV
CF Newbie

Quote:

Now at 70 mph you would likely survive hitting a racoon or something that size. Would you at 140? Could you still control the car after the impact?

Perhaps I'm being paranoid.... perhaps I'm just trying to talk some sense into people. Either way, I'm not being unreasonable.

No you're being perfectly reasonable...it's a calculated risk I guess- maybe not the smartest thing in the world. And I doubt anyone could control a vehicle after a hit like that at 50Mph , no less 70, or 100+....

Did you guys ever see the video of the rabbit that ran out in front of a car on a track during a race - it exploded (the rabbit), and took a piece of the car with it...can anyone find that?