Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2005, 01:55 AM   #1
Some_kid
CF Newbie

Thinking about a Nova

I'm out to buy my first car sometime in the near future. I've really got my eyes set on buying a '67-74 Chevy Nova. I'm just wondering if it would be worth my cash to pick it up. What kind of mileage should i expect and most of all...is it fast enough for my money.
I dont know a whole lot about cars really and it dissappoints me that i dont so i'm trying to learn.

Also i'm not online daily so i wont be able to see responses or answer questions right away.

Last edited by Some_kid : 11-08-2005 at 02:00 AM.
Some_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 02:01 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_kid
I'm out to buy my first car sometime in the near future. I've really got my eyes set on buying a '67-74 Chevy Nova. I'm just wondering if it would be worth my cash to pick it up. What kind of mileage should i expect and most of all...is it fast enough for my money.
I dont know a whole lot about cars really and it dissappoints me that i dont so i'm trying to learn.
You don't really seem to know a whole lot about asking questions. People can only help you if they know what kind of information you're looking for. That begins with you being (quite) a bit more specific.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 02:03 AM   #3
gokartracer
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
You don't really seem to know a whole lot about asking questions. People can only help you if they know what kind of information you're looking for. That begins with you being (quite) a bit more specific.
yeah he's right.
all i can say is that my mom's first car was a V8 nova. she loved it.
My friend's volvo... (hopefully soon to be mine)
gokartracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 02:11 AM   #4
Some_kid
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Sorry about that. I'm mostly wondering whether it would take much work to get one running faster than your average ricer. Too many kids around here drive ricers and they sound like little go-karts and i'm tired of it. Like right now i'm really thinking about the one i've spotted its a 1979 Chevy Nova Hatchback with a 4 speed transmission and its a V8. So specificly would this 1979 chevy nova with a V8 be a good first car and would it be relatively quick?
Old 11-08-2005, 02:13 AM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Sorry about that. I'm mostly wondering whether it would take much work to get one running faster than your average ricer. Too many kids around here drive ricers and they sound like little go-karts and i'm tired of it. Like right now i'm really thinking about the one i've spotted its a 1979 Chevy Nova Hatchback with a 4 speed transmission and its a V8. So specificly would this 1979 chevy nova with a V8 be a good first car and would it be relatively quick?
There are still far too many variables, so the best answer to both questions is probably. It all depends on how good (or bad) the car is starting out and how much you're willing and able to put into it.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 02:18 AM   #6
Some_kid
CF Newbie

The car seems to be in great condition. Minimal body damage and as far as i can tell nothing wrong with the engine either. Even if it needs a new engine i've got about 4 grand i'm willing to put into a car if it needs it or if it will make dramatic improvement in its performance.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:13 AM   #7
adamc44
CF Freak

yea, you could prob out run some ricers, get a 383 kit from jegs for a 350 block, and id say if its from the 70s it would have a 10 bolt rearend which you could get some gears maybe 3.73

http://www.myspace.com/adamc44

adamc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 03:14 AM   #8
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
The car seems to be in great condition. Minimal body damage and as far as i can tell nothing wrong with the engine either. Even if it needs a new engine i've got about 4 grand i'm willing to put into a car if it needs it or if it will make dramatic improvement in its performance.

4 grand after you buy it correcT? It would help greatly if you gave us the amount of money your willing to spend, then we could possibly help you decide on a car/ possibly not this one seeing as how it is quite old and not knowing much about cars this may not be a wise-investment for your money when there are possibly better candidates.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 05:18 AM   #9
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
4 grand after you buy it correcT? It would help greatly if you gave us the amount of money your willing to spend, then we could possibly help you decide on a car/ possibly not this one seeing as how it is quite old and not knowing much about cars this may not be a wise-investment for your money when there are possibly better candidates.
I agree, also gotta add what size engine you may be interested in (327, 350 or 396) for it. I'd say it'd be worth buying and working on and would be nicely powered.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 05:26 AM   #10
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

watch out for those 74-79 novas, they seem to have a bad tendency to leave tire tracks that look like a dually's

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 10:29 PM   #11
skyline7042
CF Newbie

ok well alls i can say is dont get a nove above the 70's. if u got like a 66 or something, then yes u could definatly make it fast. but it would prob. need alot of work. but they're relatively easy to fix. well i have more to say but i will wait for ur response. i will ttyl. late
skyline7042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 10:40 PM   #12
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

the problem is simple: if you know enough about cars, and Chevy's specifically, you can cheaply make any V8 Nova go fast. there was one at the Grassroots Motorsports $2004 Challenge that ran 10 second quarter miles for $2000 total (that was the cost of the car and all the hop up parts). Looked like hell, but fast. Of course, the guy knew exactly what he was doing and how to use used hop up parts.

If you don't know much about cars, and it sounds like you don't, you either have to take the time to learn (and it can take years of hands on experience to learn enough) or you pay someone ELSE to do the work. Unfortunately, that latter method means there is NO such thing as a cheap car to go fast in if you have to pay someone else's labor, and especially if you pay someone else's labor and have to buy parts new.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 10:44 PM   #13
skyline7042
CF Newbie

yes hes totally right it doesnt take much to make a chevy go fast as long as u no wat ur doing.
skyline7042 is offline   Reply With Quote