Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2005, 06:28 PM   #1
fastpass
CF Newbie

Thumbs up Low Profile Tires

Low profile tires are a very stylish alternitive to standardized tires. They are also very good when it comes to cornering and one can add a bigger rim size on a vehicle as well. In today's world, more and more vehicle companies are having options to choose a bigger rim size with involves a low profile tire. For the people that really don't drive with low-profile tires, would not understand that there are any cons that overpower the pros of having low profile tires over the satandardized tire. But the question is: Are there any real disdvantages toward low-proile tires? Or are they the same with some benefits? I have been asked this question many times, and I am sure you guys do.

Sadly, there ARE disadvantages when choosing low profile tires over standard tires.

First of all, it has been proven by many daily drivers that low profile tires decrease life expectancy to about less than 20,000 miles. Wow, that is almost 1/3 of a standard tire life span!

Second, low-profile tires are an added safety issue. when one turns fast on a corner and hits a sidewalk curb, the impact could reach the rim and possibly bend it. This is also true when the tires are not properly inflated. Any hit or bump that is felt on a regular tire will be felt almost twice as hard, regardless suspension modifications or types. So if you hit a rock that you know will cause the car to jump, the tire can be pushed down causing impact and damage to the rim when they are unproperley inflated. This may not be true with all cars by the way. But it happens more frequently then one would think.

If you are in for a comfortable ride, then beware, they are less comfortable than standard tires.

Lastly, low profile tires are high maitenence. They make the rims more dirty since the rim has a lower ground clearance than standard tires. It also requires more tire replacememnts or repairs than the standard tire since wear-and-tear is more likely and punctures more deadly on a low-profile tire.

I am not saying that you should not choose low-profile tires or giving CF suggestions on which tire best suits your car. We all know that cars are different and have different needs. Some newer model cars actually recomend low-profile tires, since the tires are oriented for performance.

There are advantages, more than disadvantage. For example, better fuel economy, better tire stabiblity, better vehicle stability, lower center of gravity, not to mention the tire is far less lighter than the regular tire.
The reason I am posting this thread is to inform readers about low-profile tires. My opinion is that I love them since they look better. But that is my opinion. I am sure you CF members think differently.

If you love driving rough all the time, then go ahead and get them, but if you are not interested in cosmetic looks, then stick with the regular, with low-profile, you will get far less life span with a higher price tag.

If I made a mistake or I have left something out, or just want to criiticise, I am cool with it, just let it be a constructive critisism so I can be better and inform you guys for the good. Thanks for taking the time to read this post, hope it helped in a way.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:31 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

I don't know where you did your fact finding or research, but... You did a pretty poor job. It looks like this is written based more on opinion than anything. By the way, just out of curiosity, who asked you to write and post this anyway?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 06:55 PM   #3
fastpass
CF Newbie

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
I don't know where you did your fact finding or research, but... You did a pretty poor job. It looks like this is written based more on opinion than anything. By the way, just out of curiosity, who asked you to write and post this anyway?

resources my friend:

http://www.tiresandwheels.org/Proble...ofileTires.htm
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/gener...ntId=700 4789
http://www.snowinterlocking.ca/index...relli-tire&T=0
http://lifeisaroad.com/stories/2004/...eDarkSide.html
http://Nittotires.com
Yesterday's wallstreet Journal B4 under "tire for your car"
60,000 miles of car experiement

Next question: My friends are also invloved in this forum and decided to do this post. I don't know about you, but I have always wondered what are the disadvantages of these tires. Did I leave something out? Is a statement incorrect? Can you show me an example of how to post this properly? have a nice day sir...

Last edited by fastpass : 11-10-2005 at 06:57 PM.
fastpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:22 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

As I said, a pretty poor job. You took a word here and a phrase there and combined then to make... Well, to make several paragraphs of nothing worth reading. I don't have time to go over it word for word so let's just pick out a couple of high points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastpass
Low profile tires are a very stylish alternitive to standardized tires.
That statement is 100% opinion.

Quote:
First of all, it has been proven by many daily drivers that low profile tires decrease life expectancy to about less than 20,000 miles. Wow, that is almost 1/3 of a standard tire life span!
It has? It's also been proven by many daily drivers that low profile tire get just a good or better life expectancy. Tire tread lifespan is directly affected by rubber compound, road surface and driving style. Tire profile has nothing to do with it.

Quote:
Second, low-profile tires are an added safety issue. when one turns fast on a corner and hits a sidewalk curb, the impact could reach the rim and possibly bend it. This is also true when the tires are not properly inflated.
This can't happen with high profile tires? I bet it can.

Quote:
Any hit or bump that is felt on a regular tire will be felt almost twice as hard, regardless suspension modifications or types.
Yeah? Go out and drive a new Vette with 35 series tires and an old Vette with 70 series tires. Tell us which one feels like an ox cart.

Quote:
Lastly, low profile tires are high maitenence. They make the rims more dirty since the rim has a lower ground clearance than standard tires.
This is the last one I'll quote because I almost pissed my pants reading it. "Low ground clearance of the rim" has little or nothing to do with how dirty wheels get. Brake dust, dirty roads and lousy weather conditions do.

Like it or not your drivel is pretty much pointless. Good for a 6th grade book report. Not everything is incorrect, but it's pretty close. Next time you research, get some actual facts and then back them up with more facts. Follow that up with some practical experience and a good dose of common sense.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 11-10-2005, 08:09 PM   #5
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Quote:
....This is the last one I'll quote because I almost pissed my pants reading it. "Low ground clearance of the rim" has little or nothing to do with how dirty wheels get. Brake dust, dirty roads and lousy weather conditions do.
Unless he drives through 6" of mud all the time, then I could see where his low profile tires would make his rims get dirty.

Come to Wisconsin and smell our dairy air.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 10:00 PM   #6
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

You made this comment, "...For example, better fuel economy, better tire stabiblity, better vehicle stability, lower center of gravity, not to mention the tire is far less lighter than the regular tire."

The only part that could be considered correct is the tire stability part..the sidewalls will naturally flex less than a taller series tire.

As far as a lower center of gravity, not unless your entire overall tire diameter stays the same...which is most cases now days will be the case, other wise, speedometers, traction control systems, and ABS systems will go hay-wire.

Larger diameter rims are significantly heavier than small diameter rims. Low-profile tires aren't significantly lighter than a tire of the same over all diameter with a taller sidewall...the heavier rims will negate any weight loss of the tires. In fact, on a chassis dyno, you'll see less horsepower to the wheels from a 2" increase in rim diameter even if you keep the overall outside tire diameter the same. That would equal less fuel economy because now there is more parasitic loss through the drivetrain.

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 10:15 PM   #7
chris_knows
๑۩۞

I'll be the first to congratulate you, I learned some stuff I didn't know before, it looks like you put some work into it, and hell I've never written anything that long in my life
Old 11-10-2005, 10:18 PM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
I'll be the first to congratulate you, I learned some stuff I didn't know before, it looks like you put some work into it, and hell I've never written anything that long in my life
Before you decide that you "learned some stuff", you'd better realise that the vast majority of the information presented is incorrect. You'd do better to get your tire information off of Home Shopping Network.

Old 11-10-2005, 10:23 PM   #9
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Before you decide that you "learned some stuff", you'd better realise that the vast majority of the information presented is incorrect. You'd do better to get your tire information off of Home Shopping Network.

Bwahahaha!

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 10:23 PM   #10
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:

I meant that I'd learned stuff from the entire thread, like your corrections, and Sick88Tbird's...and a couple of his facts are correct, like improved cornering...but that depends on, as you said, tire compound
Old 11-10-2005, 10:26 PM   #11
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
I meant that I'd learned stuff from the entire thread, like your corrections, and Sick88Tbird's...and a couple of his facts are correct, like improved cornering...but that depends on, as you said, tire compound
Then why did you congratulate him instead of Tbird and me? Sounds fishy. Let me start the music so you can do your tap dance.

Old 11-10-2005, 10:33 PM   #12
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Alright, I'd like to congratulate the Hobo, and Sick88Tbird as they gave a lot of accurate information on low profile tires. Thank-you guys...I will never doubt you again
Old 11-10-2005, 10:35 PM   #13
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Alright, I'd like to congratulate the Hobo, and Sick88Tbird as they gave a lot of accurate information on low profile tires. Thank-you guys...I will never doubt you again
Fastpass did PM me and asked if I know you personally. He thinks you're hot. Must be that avatar pic.

Old 11-10-2005, 10:38 PM   #14
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Fastpass did PM me and asked if I know you personally. He thinks you're hot. Must be that avatar pic.

Not this again...If you have something for me, just come out and say it...in private, and I swear to not disclose it...but don't just say other people's names to see how harsh I would be with them. How about this, I promise to let you down lightly
Old 11-10-2005, 10:41 PM   #15
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Not this again...If you have something for me, just come out and say it...in private, and I swear to not disclose it...but don't just say other people's names to see how harsh I would be with them. How about this, I promise to let you down lightly
Hey, I'm not the one with an avatar showing my "guns" to the chicks. It just seems to work on the wrong sex. Might be a problem for you later in life.

Well, like to stay, gotta go. ASE recerts for me tonight. Gotta go do a last minute tutor for someone and burn some graphite. See ya.