Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2005, 10:14 PM   #16
Bino
Written Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
I do

SUVs are lame, if you wanna haul people, get a minivan. If you want offroadability, get a Jeep Wrangler, or bigger a Hummer. If you want sport get a coupe or roadster.

I KNOW you did NOT just tell somebody to buy a minivan . I seriously cannot put into words my disgust for this statement, I'm borderline dumbfounded. That is just the most retarded, idiotic, stupid thing I've ever seen on this discussion board.

You want to buy a Porsche? Oh, you should go buy a minivan instead, that's way cooler. I mean seriuosly, did you fall and hit your head this morning? Did 75% of your brain leak out of your ear after you fell? Did they cauterize the wound with a branding iron to stop the rest of your brain from falling out?

I have absolutely no respect for you any longer... sorry.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:20 PM   #17
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

I don't agree with him either, but what's wrong with minivans?
Old 11-11-2005, 11:44 PM   #18
jimeverett
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiMan
Umm... not gonna help you here. If you can afford a rich man's car and you arent a rich man, dont buy it.

This model is not off-the-charts expensive. I was half joking about not being able to afford it. Yes, it will be a little tight, but we can make it.
jimeverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 11:47 PM   #19
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimeverett
This model is not off-the-charts expensive. I was half joking about not being able to afford it. Yes, it will be a little tight, but we can make it.
My statement was not about the actual purchasing of the car, it was about the fact that any repair on the car (however minute) is quite expensive. It was a piece of knowledge my father gave me when he was recollecting a MB sedan that he bought from his mom after his Nova started to die after law school. The car didnt cost much, but the fact that it broke alot and that every part was expensive (the oil filter was even some special thing that could only come from MB) during a time he had little money made him come to that statment. They have financing and such for buying the car, but they dont usually have programs to pay for maitenance.

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 11:52 PM   #20
jimeverett
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
If you cant afford why buy one? Do you like seeing vehicles get repoed?

Alright, alright, I deserved that. I can afford it - we will just have to budget wisely. Sorry to mislead you.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:54 PM   #21
jimeverett
Banned

Quote:
My statement was not about the actual purchasing of the car, it was about the fact that any repair on the car (however minute) is quite expensive. It was a piece of knowledge my father gave me when he was recollecting a MB sedan that he bought from his mom after his Nova started to die after law school. The car didnt cost much, but the fact that it broke alot and that every part was expensive (the oil filter was even some special thing that could only come from MB) during a time he had little money made him come to that statment. They have financing and such for buying the car, but they dont usually have programs to pay for maitenance.

Your comments about the repair are VERY helpful. I know someone with a Jaguar who regrets the day he bought it for THAT reason. That is definitely something to take into serious consideration. Thanks.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:55 PM   #22
jimeverett
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloSV
before you you buy...how about trying Porsche's Driving experience to see if you even like them...

it's better than test drive...you may find it's not right for you.

and look at TCO (total cost of ownership)....

Excellent ideas - I am already following up. THANKS!!
Old 11-11-2005, 11:55 PM   #23
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Your comments about the repair are VERY helpful. I know someone with a Jaguar who regrets the day he bought it for THAT reason. That is definitely something to take into serious consideration. Thanks.
No prob man, just didnt want you to dig yourself into a hole.

Old 11-11-2005, 11:56 PM   #24
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

the issue of repairs shouldn't be one for the first few years. And if you lease it, it should be a non-issue unless you do something to break it in a non-warranteeable fashion.

I've owned a number of older Porsches and never had a repair cost issue.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 12:01 AM   #25
jimeverett
Banned

Quote:
No prob man, just didnt want you to dig yourself into a hole.

Very true - that is one of the reasons i am running this thread...
Old 11-12-2005, 12:02 AM   #26
jimeverett
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
the issue of repairs shouldn't be one for the first few years. And if you lease it, it should be a non-issue unless you do something to break it in a non-warranteeable fashion.

I've owned a number of older Porsches and never had a repair cost issue.

Maybe there is a difference between the older models and the current?
Old 11-12-2005, 12:04 AM   #27
jimeverett
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
God, the Cayenne is the worst Porsche imo. A Porsche SUV, lame. If you want a Porsche, and are on a limited budget, get a 944 turbo. They sell for under 10k.

Why lame? I am just starting to explore the possibility now - I have no assumptions. The 944 turbo wouldn't work with a family....
Old 11-12-2005, 12:06 AM   #28
jimeverett
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
I think Cayenne interiors feel very cheap, and I was quite dissapointed the first time I sat in one. The Carrera interior is much nicer, and feels more Porsche-like.

And yeah I think its lame that Porsche went into the SUV market, but don't get me started on that.

Interesting. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:08 AM   #29
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Maybe there is a difference between the older models and the current?
German cars (on average) now have the second worst reliability (US cars are first, then German cars, then Japanese) on average. Now I know that ChrisV and tons of other people are gonna get pissed by that, but its fact, its in a Automobile mag from earlier this year. Its simply because they are trying to make them all so complicated now.

Old 11-12-2005, 12:56 AM   #30
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bino
I KNOW you did NOT just tell somebody to buy a minivan . I seriously cannot put into words my disgust for this statement, I'm borderline dumbfounded. That is just the most retarded, idiotic, stupid thing I've ever seen on this discussion board.

You want to buy a Porsche? Oh, you should go buy a minivan instead, that's way cooler. I mean seriuosly, did you fall and hit your head this morning? Did 75% of your brain leak out of your ear after you fell? Did they cauterize the wound with a branding iron to stop the rest of your brain from falling out?

I have absolutely no respect for you any longer... sorry.

And to think I thought you were going to rag on him because in another thread he was saying stuff TOTALLY against buying minivans. Now it seems he's recommending a minivan over a Porsche Cayenne S. I think he MIGHT be bi-polar, or quite possibly jus ta hypocrite.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote