Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2005, 03:42 AM   #1
Deer Hunter
CF Newbie

Jeep Stalling

I have a 1980 Jeep CJ7 with the 258 six cylinder engine and automatic transmission.Last weekend while using it at the hunting lease it started dying while driving normally down the roads.It was just like someone cut a switch off.I could usually put it in neutral and it would start right back up then it would die again a minute or so later .A couple of times it died and would not crank back up so I would pop the hood and start looking for loose wires ,vaccum hoses and such.On two occasions I tapped on the ignition module and when I got back in it cranked right up and ran a couple of minutes before starting the same sequence again.I was thinking of picking up a replacement Ignition module and trying it when I go back in a couple of weeks.The ignition module currently on the jeep is a Duraspark (Motocraft).I have read that Jeep used two different brands of Ignition systems on these models.I know they have modules listed for a 1980 CJ at the local auto parts store but they don't differentiate as to which brand they replace.Does it matter? I was also thinking of going ahead and replacing the distributor cap rotor and wires however it must have an aftermarket distibutor because the caps they have listed for it in the parts stores all fasten with screws and the one on my Jeep fastens with spring clips.How can I find out what cap to buy?If I take my cap and rotor off and take to a parts house would they be able to cross reference them to a particular model of distributor and supplly a replacement?

Last edited by Deer Hunter : 12-02-2005 at 03:45 AM.
Deer Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 05:37 PM   #2
bigjim_h
CF Newbie

I had a 89 Wrangler that did the same thing I had to replace the disctributor. It was $90.00 at Auto Zone and the jeep ran like a top after that. look at the magnet under the distributor cap and see if there is major ware on it. I also replace the coil, wires, cap and rotor and it still did it. Once I put the new disctributor in it, it ran like a raped ape.
bigjim_h is offline   Reply With Quote