Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2005, 01:05 PM   #1
BugProject
CF Newbie

Turbo for a VW Beetle

Apparantly it is possible to fit a turbo engine into a beetle, but which engine is the best? are the porsche engines the easiest to put in?
BugProject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 02:40 PM   #2
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugProject
Apparantly it is possible to fit a turbo engine into a beetle, but which engine is the best? are the porsche engines the easiest to put in?
If I walked up to you and said this to you, would you know exactly what I am talking about?

Now maybe you put the project information in the "Introduction" section but it would also be helpful here so we knew exactly what you were doing.

Come to Wisconsin and smell our dairy air.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 05:09 PM   #3
BugProject
CF Newbie

ive just bought a vw beetle and want to do up the car i have plans for the rest of the car but the main problem i have at the moment is that i want to put a turbo engine in the car and dnt know which engine would be the best. i have been told that porsche engines are the easiest to put in but dont know how true this is.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:58 PM   #4
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

An older Porsche engine (from 60's and 70's) would be the easiest since the Beetle and Porsche back then were close to the same. My dad had a friend who awhile back put a Porsche engine into a Beetle (wrecked the Porsche), apparently it was fast (the car) and easy (the swap).

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 10:27 PM   #5
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

They make a VW turbo Beetle....just get an engine out of one of those.

SlipKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 11:07 PM   #6
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

If you're talking an older air cooled Beetle, then you ned to talk to Bernie Bergmann Enterprises, as they make a LOT of different turbo engine combinations for those cars, as well as turbo kits.

But to be honest, you don't need a turbo engine to go fast. Just build up a 2110 or 2180cc N/A bug motor. Relatively cheap and capable of propelling a Bug to 11-13 second quarter mile times, depending on buildup. Even a 13 second street Bug feels like a rocketship.

If you do that, don't forget to upgrade the trans, as well. Companies like TransForm have warrantied high performance transaxles for failry low prices, and you'll need the SuperDiff option to keep from blowing up the transaxle with a big Bug engine.

The nice thing about a bug engine is you don't need to create a cooling system and route hoses up to a front radiator. It's just a bolt in thing.

I'd stay away from using an early Porsche engine. The 356 stuff is almost identical to a Bug, but it costs vastly more and has less potential. The 911 stuff is pricey and heavy, even the early 2 liter engines, in comparison to a bug engine, and it sticks farther back (which isn't what you want in a Bug). The only "Porsche" engine really to consider in a bug swap is the VW Porsche Type 4, as found in the 914 and 912E (and the VW 411/412 and later Type II Busses). It'll bolt in, but you need to change the cooling tin to fit. They start out larger, however, with a 2 liter avaialble. You can start with a 1.8 or 2 liter Type 4 and build up to 2.7 liters in streetable form (and over 3 liters in race form). It's more expensive than a Type 1 Bug engine, but it's the way to go to get 10 second N/A street Bug times.

Go pick up a copy of Hot VWs magazine and start perusing the advertisers. You'll find more info and cool ideas than you ever thought possible.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 12:43 AM   #7
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
If you're talking an older air cooled Beetle
Is there another kind? Or did you just mean compared to the new beetles?
Old 09-02-2005, 01:17 AM   #8
collareddrifter
CF Newbie

bugs are fun to work on i suppose, especially because the old ones engines are so damn easy to swap. what year beattle is it? cause there are alot of turbos for both gens. but they dont do much good, i'd stick with NA

-complete bullshit
>>>Real Name:Josh, 13 years old.
collareddrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 12:47 PM   #9
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
Is there another kind? Or did you just mean compared to the new beetles?

Slipknot had mentioned teh turbocharged New Beetles, and that's a transverse engine, FWD car which makes the swap very hard, so I wanted to be clear that we were discussing the old ones, not the New Beetles.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 09-02-2005, 12:49 PM   #10
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Slipknot had mentioned teh turbocharged New Beetles, and that's a transverse engine, FWD car which makes the swap very hard, so I wanted to be clear that we were discussing the old ones, not the New Beetles.
Chris, what kind of engine were you using in the Beetles you had?

SlipKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 01:14 PM   #11
BugProject
CF Newbie

The car in question is a 1970 beetle.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:17 PM   #12
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugProject
The car in question is a 1970 beetle.
NOW we get some information.....

Come to Wisconsin and smell our dairy air.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 06:38 PM   #13
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipKnoT
Chris, what kind of engine were you using in the Beetles you had?

Air cooled bug motors. most were not much more than stock, but I had a couple 1776s, an 1835, and a 2180. (those numbers designate cc's, BTW)

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 01-16-2009, 05:50 PM   #14
Paulbrkr
CF Newbie

How to

"But to be honest, you don't need a turbo engine to go fast. Just build up a 2110 or 2180cc N/A bug motor. Relatively cheap and capable of propelling a Bug to 11-13 second quarter mile times, depending on buildup. Even a 13 second street Bug feels like a rocketship."

So how do you build up a 2110 or 2180cc bug motor?
Paulbrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:22 PM   #15
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbrkr
"But to be honest, you don't need a turbo engine to go fast. Just build up a 2110 or 2180cc N/A bug motor. Relatively cheap and capable of propelling a Bug to 11-13 second quarter mile times, depending on buildup. Even a 13 second street Bug feels like a rocketship."

So how do you build up a 2110 or 2180cc bug motor?

Simple answer, start with a 1500 or 1600cc air cooled Bug engine (stock or aftermarket), get the case machined to fit the larger cylinders (remember, on the air cooled VW engines, the cylinders are not an integral part of the engine block and can be swapped out for larger ones), and fit them. Utilize a new, longer stroke crank. Use the later dual port heads, machined out to fit the new cylinders and pistons. Add a good cam, and either dual carbs or fuel injection. Lastly, a quality exhaust is needed.

There's a bit more to it than that if you get into the details. but that's the concept.

Pick up a copy of Hot VWs magazine and check out the ads for engine builders, and watch for engine build articles. http://www.hotvws.com

www.midatlantic7s.com