Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2005, 03:01 AM   #61
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

i suppose that's as good as i'm gonna get...

but i dont see how you "know" that "in effect, it was only tested on the new SAE standard". why wouldnt they have tested it before the standard was updated? just because they dont tell us exactly what happened durring the time when they were still designing the car doesnt mean it didnt happen.

oh, and it was finals week for me too (had my last exam today!), so that's no excuse to not backup your statements.
pik_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 03:16 AM   #62
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pik_d
i suppose that's as good as i'm gonna get...

but i dont see how you "know" that "in effect, it was only tested on the new SAE standard". why wouldnt they have tested it before the standard was updated? just because they dont tell us exactly what happened durring the time when they were still designing the car doesnt mean it didnt happen.

oh, and it was finals week for me too (had my last exam today!), so that's no excuse to not backup your statements.

Again, we can play the ASSUME game. I'm going by what's in that article, all it says is it was "projected" to get 210hp, we dont even know if they said that BEFORE or AFTER they tested it on the new SAE setup, as it's not even mentioned in the article. We dont know if they actually tested the engine on the old SAE standard or not, as again it's not mentioned in the article.

What college do you go to and what finals did you have?

I had to read a 300 page textbook, memorize 125 terms and go over 84 pages of notes...in the past week or less. Oh yeah, that was for one class too

I had four finals, well had 3, one more to go, but it's my easiest class, no studying needed...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 03:28 AM   #63
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

i'm a freshman at UNC charlotte. intro to engineering, english (well... just had to hand in a final paper), calculus I, chemistry, and visual arts.

since you so nicely pointed out the assuming thing, why did you assume that they were the same engine? and why did you assume that the 221hp was inflated (you pointed out in post #14 that it was ranked on the old SAE system)?

yes, finals, i know. but that's no excuse to cite "facts" that arent.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:47 AM   #64
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
I said; what have I presented from vtec.net on here recently, that I claimed is factual and is in fact not (what have I posted recently, the DYNO RESULTS of certain vehicles and RACE RESULTS from thunderhill, yup no way those are facts )? I didn't say you should trust everything from that webpage, matter fact almost EVERY article on that page has a "credibility rating". So, you are trying to put words in my mouth about that.

Either way you can ASSUME the Ford PR guy said that to make the engine look better, or you can ASSUME he really predicted that way beforehand in a truthful manner. Either way it's an assumption, but dealing with a few PR guys from certain companies I've met, most of these guys are the Car Brand Political Leaders...No doubt
What standard were they using on the dyno tests? You're basically saying that the Ford guy is putting a spin on things that will help him, but vtec.net weren't.

I'm not saying the Ford guy did or didn't, because I've got no idea, but if you're going to trust one source, trust both .... or neither.

Of course it's an assumption either way, but I just try to be consistent where I can with assumptions. But we've already had the assumption argument.... remember the whole amplifier power cable thing?
Old 12-15-2005, 03:51 AM   #65
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pik_d
i'm a freshman at UNC charlotte. intro to engineering, english (well... just had to hand in a final paper), calculus I, chemistry, and visual arts.

since you so nicely pointed out the assuming thing, why did you assume that they were the same engine? and why did you assume that the 221hp was inflated (you pointed out in post #14 that it was ranked on the old SAE system)?

yes, finals, i know. but that's no excuse to cite "facts" that arent.

I'd like to see where I said what I was saying was factual, like I said, I was assuming the Mazda6 motor was 221hp all along, off by damn horsepower when I looked it up, woopie.

I can tell you my exams were probably slightly more difficult...I'm a Freshman, going for Business Management major (possibily subfield of Entrepreneurship, LSU has the #1 program in the nation for that, pretty good business school, hardest college to get into here).

I assumed they were the same engine because I thought the Mazda6 was 221hp all along, there's your explanation. I said it in another earlier post. I still would like to see when I said 221hp was an inflated figure. I was under the pre-tense THEN (posting to pontiacfan) that it was under the old SAE setup. But found out later it isn't. So maybe that's the confusion there.

I'd rather pay more attention to grades than care at the same time about looking up stuff on the computer to check something I said. Guess my priorities are screwed up

~Blow your mind~

Old 12-15-2005, 03:53 AM   #66
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
I can tell you my exams were probably slightly more difficult...
.......??
Old 12-15-2005, 03:56 AM   #67
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
What standard were they using on the dyno tests? You're basically saying that the Ford guy is putting a spin on things that will help him, but vtec.net weren't.

I'm not saying the Ford guy did or didn't, because I've got no idea, but if you're going to trust one source, trust both .... or neither.

Of course it's an assumption either way, but I just try to be consistent where I can with assumptions. But we've already had the assumption argument.... remember the whole amplifier power cable thing?

What does what was said in that article have anything to do with the dyno results I posted about the RSX-S and Si recently form vtec.net? Oh, yeah, none. So I dont know why you just attempted to make a connection there.

You're telling me I should trust what a PR guy siad about horsepower as an assumption if I trust what an ACTUAL DYNO RESULT says? You must be out of your mind. You make no sense! You're saying we should trust a what a PR "projected" the power to be the same as an ACTUAL Dyno test? Get REAL! Look at what you just said...you'll see the stupidity in it.

I can't believe you even brought up the power amplifer cable...This has nothing to do with that! Seriously though, I still hold that thread against you, you were just being stupid, really.

~Blow your mind~

Last edited by thunderbird1100 : 12-15-2005 at 04:00 AM.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:57 AM   #68
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
.......??

.....Taking harder classes, is that what you're looking for?

~Blow your mind~

Old 12-15-2005, 03:58 AM   #69
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
.......??
What you didn't take exams in Austrailia?
Old 12-15-2005, 04:03 AM   #70
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

Quote:
I'd like to see where I said what I was saying was factual, like I said, I was assuming the Mazda6 motor was 221hp all along, off by damn horsepower when I looked it up, woopie.
looking back to this:

Quote:
Actually the Duratec is ranked on the OLD SAE system while the Accord is ranked on the NEW SAE system. Which means if you compare the two hack the Duratecs numbers down by about 4%-5% (or add 4-5% to the Accord's 244hp 211tq).

Which means it makes an ungodly 210hp and 195tq. For a DOHC 3.0L 24v V6 this isnt anything great, nor that good today.

basicly in saying the word "is", you're claiming to be factual.

Quote:
I can tell you my exams were probably slightly more difficult...I'm a Freshman, going for Business Management major (possibily subfield of Entrepreneurship, LSU has the #1 program in the nation for that, pretty good business school, hardest college to get into here).
i am unimpressed...

Quote:
I assumed they were the same engine because I thought the Mazda6 was 221hp all along, there's your explanation. I said it in another earlier post. I still would like to see when I said 221hp was an inflated figure. I was under the pre-tense THEN (posting to pontiacfan) that it was under the old SAE setup. But found out later it isn't. So maybe that's the confusion there.

I'd rather pay more attention to grades than care at the same time about looking up stuff on the computer to check something I said. Guess my priorities are screwed up
in that case dont post, finish your exams, then catch up on your posting after they're done. either argue and check all your facts, or dont argue at all.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:31 AM   #71
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
What you didn't take exams in Austrailia?
Just something about people who have to try to convince other people that they're better because "I do something harder than you".... I dunno.

On the power cable thing ... sure I was being pedantic that day (different to stupid), but the whole point I was making that day is that an assumption, no matter how likely, is still an assumption - which seems to be the same point you just made a couple of posts back. Does that make you stupid too?

I'm not saying you should trust the PR dude implicitly. What I'm saying is - if he's lying, why isn't vtec.net? You're treating that website as more credible than the PR guy. I didn't try to connect the two articles, but you were using them both as sources in the same argument, therefore they both must come into question, not just one.

I know what you're trying to say - that one was measured, and the other was only predicted, and thus could be made up more readily, but that doesn't mean that one is trustworthy and the other isn't .... we're still assuming, no matter which way we look at it..... unless we say "I don't know".

Which, let's face it, we don't.