Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2005, 11:54 PM   #1
MknzBikR
CF Newbie

Camaro+502BB=vroom vroom??

My boss has a 1966 Ford F100, a few years ago he replaced the 351 Cleavland for a 502 crate motor. 500HP just aint enough for him so he plans on getting another motor with more power. I can get his 502 off of him for real cheap which leads me to a question...
Would a 502 drop in a 1999 Camaro? Its got a 3.8L v6 in it right now and was wondering what kindof modifications I would have to do. I'me guessing that I would have to make new motor mounts but I'me not too sure on it.
The 5spd tranny would more than likely have to go as well, would a 6spd from a v8 Camaro or Bird be sufficient?
I'de change out the rear diffy but would I have to do the axel as well?

Thanks in advance
Jbro
MknzBikR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 12:58 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MknzBikR
My boss has a 1966 Ford F100, a few years ago he replaced the 351 Cleavland for a 502 crate motor. 500HP just aint enough for him so he plans on getting another motor with more power. I can get his 502 off of him for real cheap which leads me to a question...
Would a 502 drop in a 1999 Camaro? Its got a 3.8L v6 in it right now and was wondering what kindof modifications I would have to do. I'me guessing that I would have to make new motor mounts but I'me not too sure on it.
The 5spd tranny would more than likely have to go as well, would a 6spd from a v8 Camaro or Bird be sufficient?
I'de change out the rear diffy but would I have to do the axel as well?

Thanks in advance
Jbro
Would this be a Chevy 502 or a "Ford 502"?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 02:09 AM   #3
MknzBikR
CF Newbie

It's a Chevy 502 crate.
MknzBikR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 06:24 AM   #4
adamc44
CF Freak

with a welder and a torch anything will fit. you would definatley have to stiffen those front springs up, thats a quite a change in weight. then you have to worry about how far its going to sit back in the engine compartment. prob be able to drop in a aluminum rad and electric fan setup to save a little space and cool that bad boy. lining up the trans crossmember will be a little challenge, and a change in the driveshaft length as well. im not sure on the rearend. im guessin but you'll prob have headers as well so youll have to look for clearance on those too. is this a junk car or a daily driver?

http://www.myspace.com/adamc44

adamc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 06:34 AM   #5
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamc44
with a welder and a torch anything will fit. you would definatley have to stiffen those front springs up, thats a quite a change in weight. then you have to worry about how far its going to sit back in the engine compartment. prob be able to drop in a aluminum rad and electric fan setup to save a little space and cool that bad boy. lining up the trans crossmember will be a little challenge, and a change in the driveshaft length as well. im not sure on the rearend. im guessin but you'll prob have headers as well so youll have to look for clearance on those too. is this a junk car or a daily driver?

I would guess daily driver seeing as how its a V6 Camaro.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 10:39 PM   #6
adamc44
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
I would guess daily driver seeing as how its a V6 Camaro.
thats what i was thinkin, hope he has a back up car cause this aint no weekend project.

http://www.myspace.com/adamc44

adamc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 10:44 PM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MknzBikR
It's a Chevy 502 crate.
Okay, just wanted to get that straight, I've had alot of people tell me they have a Ford or Mopar 502. Sure they do.

A 502 crate is probably a GenIV engine which is a nice stout piece. The two major concerns you're going to have is clearance under the cowl and engine management. I've never put a big block into a late model street Camaro, but on race cars we've always had to alter the firewall to make them fit.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote