Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2005, 10:08 PM   #1
bored.1
Banned

Question '83 cougar 8 Cylinders 302 F 5.0L TBI starting problem

i have a 1983 Mercury Cougar, 8 Cylinders, 302 F 5.0L TBI and i have just replaced the starter on it. Now, i go to start the car, and it won't. i can hold the key forward and pump the gas and it will start, but as soon as i let go of the key, it dies. i have heard various things from it needs a new ignition, to that you have to tweak something on the starter. i have full power to the entire car, the A/C works (not very well :P) and everything else is just fine, but it just won't stay running no matter what i do. any ideas of what it may be would REALLY be appreciated....
bored.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 04:26 AM   #2
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

Sounds like it could be an ignition switch(base of steering column). Could also be something as simple as a chaffed wire. Check out www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com, they are dedicated to the '83-'88 'Birds/Cats. I'm a member over there and it is a nice community of enthusiasts.

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote