Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2005, 03:47 PM   #1
fastpass
CF Newbie

Thumbs up Gas mileage

There are many ways to improve on gas mileage. For now, the gas prices are at the lowest in the past few months. That is still no excuse for not trying to pump up a few extra miles on your car though. We all know that gas prices are now part of our primary spending in our budget. Instead of waiting for gas prices to drop, we should take the iniciative to make our cars fuel efficient. Besides, it will be healthy for your car, and every little bit helps in the long run. Below are a few pointers that will help you achieve better gas mileage:

Keep tires properly inflated. You can improve your gas mileage by as much as three percent by keeping your tires properly inflated. Under-inflated tires can not only wear out tire tread and lead to blowouts, they can cut fuel economy by nearly a half percent per pound of pressure below recommended levels.

Unless your owner's manual specifically says to purchase mid-grade or premium gasoline, fill up with regular low octane fuel. Using self-serve regular fuel compared to premium can save you an average of 17 cents per gallon.

Check and replace air filters regularly. A clogged air filter can reduce your vehicle's gas mileage by as much as 10 percent.

Don't start your car in the morning and leave it running. An idling engine consumes one half-gallon to as much as one gallon per hour.

Accelerate gently, brake gradually and avoid hard stops. You'll not only conserve fuel, you'll reduce wear and tear on your automobile.

Get rid of the junk in your trunk. An extra 100 pounds in the trunk reduces a typical car's fuel economy by as much as two percent.

Try to combine as many errands as possible into one trip. If you must make multiple trips, try to avoid driving during peak rush hours. You'll spend less time sitting in traffic and consume less fuel.

Avoid loading items on your vehicle's roof rack. While a roof rack provides extra cargo space, when loaded it decreases your fuel economy by as much as five percent. You can improve your fuel economy by placing items inside your trunk. Once you've transported the items, remove them from your trunk immediately.

If you own more than one vehicle, consider designating one for weekend errands and outings and the other for driving to and from work. Reserve the vehicle that gets the best mileage for activities that require the most driving.

Also, for the the CF members who are looking for gas saving vehicles, click on this link below to compare prices and MPG on some cars. You will be surprised that some vehicles are even on the list!

http://4wheeldrive.about.com/gi/dyna...ts/gasmileage/

Last edited by fastpass : 11-17-2005 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Spelling errors and added more pointers
fastpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 05:29 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

I have two questions.

1. How many episodes of this drivel are we going to have to put up with? The facts are better but it's still garbage that you can read anywhere, and I don't recall anybody asking for it.

2. What do the screen names fastpass, Leebal, Rudeman, xlrated and xlratedmonkey all have in common? The first person to answer correctly win... Well, wins.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 05:57 AM   #3
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
I have two questions.

1. How many episodes of this drivel are we going to have to put up with? The facts are better but it's still garbage that you can read anywhere, and I don't recall anybody asking for it.

2. What do the screen names fastpass, Leebal, Rudeman, xlrated and xlratedmonkey all have in common? The first person to answer correctly win... Well, wins.

They all have vowels in them!!

I can see the relation between xlrated and xlratemonkey...but I can't figure out the rest, and if I were you, you'd probably say:

'They have all been created by some 12 year old pre-pubescent little boy, who asked mommy to borrow her computer to piss some people off''
Old 11-18-2005, 01:36 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
I can see the relation between xlrated and xlratemonkey...but I can't figure out the rest, and if I were you, you'd probably say:

'They have all been created by some 12 year old pre-pubescent little boy, who asked mommy to borrow her computer to piss some people off''
Maybe it's time to ask him... errr, them.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 02:04 PM   #5
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Maybe it's time to ask him... errr, them.

Found something else, they are all from Fort Myers, excepts for fastpass who is from Sarasota, which is pretty close to Fort Myers...
Old 11-18-2005, 03:07 PM   #6
Inygknok
El del Supra

wow.... CSI: Car-Forums edition.....

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 10:07 PM   #7
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inygknok
wow.... CSI: Car-Forums edition.....