Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2004, 12:03 PM   #1
Naota
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3
^_^

Hey,

Im just wondering if anyone has any good links or good ideas of where to find out more information on Cars. I have just became interested into them lately and I have exhausted any realiable internet resources I can find. Im not completely dumb but I still know shit all about cars.

Also, anyone seen a SilEighty for sale and how much are they going for these days. A SilEighty in Aus. I mean, just out of curiosity. Its not like im anywhere near getting a care... or even a license (15).

Anyway I understand how a car works. And lots of the mods. things I would like to know is like what is standard lift on a cam, and standard pulse-width etc. Also sway bars etc. I know what most of the stuff does, what I wanna know is how. And one last thing 'cat-back exhaust' stands for exhaust systems from the catalytic converter rearwards right? Just guessing. Anyone got a good suggestion of where I can go to practice driving privately and work on control... just a generic area because I cant think of anywhere.

This is probably pointless but I figure may aswell ask anyway.

And before you say, yes I buy car mags. I read every auto article on howstuffworks too.
Naota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 03:16 PM   #2
cmeseadoin
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 596
Well Naota,

Sounds like you have it covered. Basically you need to determine what you want to know and then research it either online, in a library or whatever. If you don't know how to do that, then we can't really help you here. You said you don't know anything about cars then you talk about wanting to know about standard lift cams and pulse widths( I assume you are talking pulse width with regards to fuel injectors??). Seems like a little too high of a jump for a beginner to me?! I wish you the best but I don't think you'll find what you are looking for here. Howstuffworks is a GREAT site. Keep looking man, there are tons of resources available to you out there.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Naota
Hey,

Im just wondering if anyone has any good links or good ideas of where to find out more information on Cars. I have just became interested into them lately and I have exhausted any realiable internet resources I can find. Im not completely dumb but I still know shit all about cars.

Also, anyone seen a SilEighty for sale and how much are they going for these days. A SilEighty in Aus. I mean, just out of curiosity. Its not like im anywhere near getting a care... or even a license (15).

Anyway I understand how a car works. And lots of the mods. things I would like to know is like what is standard lift on a cam, and standard pulse-width etc. Also sway bars etc. I know what most of the stuff does, what I wanna know is how. And one last thing 'cat-back exhaust' stands for exhaust systems from the catalytic converter rearwards right? Just guessing. Anyone got a good suggestion of where I can go to practice driving privately and work on control... just a generic area because I cant think of anywhere.

This is probably pointless but I figure may aswell ask anyway.

And before you say, yes I buy car mags. I read every auto article on howstuffworks too.
__________________
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 03:20 PM   #3
cmeseadoin
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 596
Oh and...how in the heck would we know where you can go to practice your driving? Where are you? LOL......From your posting I could draw a guess that you're in Australia......That being the case, I'm only 12K miles away. Even if not the case, none of us have a clue as to where you are and if it's in your profile, I have no time for looking at everyone's profiles, LOL. I guess deductive reasoning goes out the window with a 15 year old, but thanks for stopping by dude.
__________________
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 05:14 AM   #4
Naota
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeseadoin
Oh and...how in the heck would we know where you can go to practice your driving? Where are you? LOL......From your posting I could draw a guess that you're in Australia......That being the case, I'm only 12K miles away. Even if not the case, none of us have a clue as to where you are and if it's in your profile, I have no time for looking at everyone's profiles, LOL. I guess deductive reasoning goes out the window with a 15 year old, but thanks for stopping by dude.

Notice I used the word generic... least I think I did. I don't mean a specific location. I mean like "I find that car parks are good at 12 at night." or something along those lines... "go to a race track. Its pretty cheap to get in. Only about x on average." I dont know something ppl wouldnt really think of. But thanks for pointing out there is no such thing.

And I said I know shit about cars... knowing the average pulse-width is nothing too complex so I dont see why it would be above a beginner. Im at that level, I know the physics of it etc. its just hard to find out whats normal, whats not. I read I magazine and it says 'a pulse-width of xxxx' and I want to know if thats really long or really short but I cant really seem to find crossrefrences. Ditto with lift (valve lift ofcourse). When I say beginner I mean converting Torque to ponies is a pain in the ass and kW **** me up. Thanks for the Reply Dude
Naota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 06:11 PM   #5
cmeseadoin
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 596
Dude, you are so conveluted you're making my head hurt. If you have all the answers to where you could go and practise driving, then why ask us? I don't recommend people to go on public/private property for "practise." I recommend you go to some family land or your own and do it, other than that, not sure what you expect here!

As for the comment "you know shit about cars" yet think that most people that "know shit about cars" would have a clue what a pulse width is.....I don't think the'd even know what system in the car you're talking about bud. COULD SOMEONE BACK ME UP HERE??????
YOU might know what a pulse width is, but if you do, common sense would dictate to me that you would know a lot more about cars than you give yourself credit for. If you do not, as you claim, then I am not too sure how someone with no clue about cars would suddenly know and understand pulse widths unless you are speaking a different language than I?! Can you explain pulse widths to me yet, cannot change your tires or do an oil change and lube? A pulse width to me is the length of time that a fuel injector is electrically stimulated by the PCM on the intake stroke. Good luck in your quest for more information.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Naota
Notice I used the word generic... least I think I did. I don't mean a specific location. I mean like "I find that car parks are good at 12 at night." or something along those lines... "go to a race track. Its pretty cheap to get in. Only about x on average." I dont know something ppl wouldnt really think of. But thanks for pointing out there is no such thing.

And I said I know shit about cars... knowing the average pulse-width is nothing too complex so I dont see why it would be above a beginner. Im at that level, I know the physics of it etc. its just hard to find out whats normal, whats not. I read I magazine and it says 'a pulse-width of xxxx' and I want to know if thats really long or really short but I cant really seem to find crossrefrences. Ditto with lift (valve lift ofcourse). When I say beginner I mean converting Torque to ponies is a pain in the ass and kW **** me up. Thanks for the Reply Dude
__________________
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 10:20 PM   #6
SuperJew
I like pie.
 
SuperJew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Suburbia Central, New York
Posts: 2,584
__________________


CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 11:00 PM   #7
lectroid
0000?
 
lectroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Redneck Hillbilly Heaven
Posts: 1,123
One good area to practice driving, is a cemetery, at 11:00 pm. That should be pretty safe and there is a very, very good chance you won't kill anyone. But, take care, cause only the good die young
__________________
Life is not a bitch, it just came with the package. [IMG][/IMG]
Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.
lectroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 11:17 PM   #8
SuperJew
I like pie.
 
SuperJew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Suburbia Central, New York
Posts: 2,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by lectroid
One good area to practice driving, is a cemetery, at 11:00 pm. That should be pretty safe and there is a very, very good chance you won't kill anyone. But, take care, cause only the good die young

that and if you have any extremely large residential neighbo(u)rhoods near you. or maybe your local high school's car park. practice parking.
__________________


CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 11:31 PM   #9
lectroid
0000?
 
lectroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Redneck Hillbilly Heaven
Posts: 1,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJew
that and if you have any extremely large residential neighbo(u)rhoods near you. or maybe your local high school's car park. practice parking.

Is a car park the same as a parking lot? I'm serious. We have park and ride lots, for persons that commute to different areas for their jobs, but I've never heard of a car park.//// Park your car in a driveway----Drive on a parkway ? English language makes a lot of sense
__________________
Life is not a bitch, it just came with the package. [IMG][/IMG]
Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.
lectroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 11:37 PM   #10
cmeseadoin
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 596
Yeah, we're a bunch of cracked up fother muckers ain't we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lectroid
Is a car park the same as a parking lot? I'm serious. We have park and ride lots, for persons that commute to different areas for their jobs, but I've never heard of a car park.//// Park your car in a driveway----Drive on a parkway ? English language makes a lot of sense
__________________
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 11:38 PM   #11
SuperJew
I like pie.
 
SuperJew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Suburbia Central, New York
Posts: 2,584
yeah the Car Park is the same thing as a Parking Lot...and yeah we also have
"Park & Ride" lots in our area...
__________________


CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 11:55 PM   #12
cmeseadoin
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 596
hehehe

We're not having a "cross-dialect" linguistic turpitude here are we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJew
yeah the Car Park is the same thing as a Parking Lot...and yeah we also have
"Park & Ride" lots in our area...
__________________
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 12:33 AM   #13
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur
 
snoopewite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: England
Posts: 782
A "cross-dialect" linguistic turpitude without me involved? That's not bloody reight. A supermarket car park would be a good place to practice in at a quite time when there's not lots of lads and lasses around, filling their car and 4x4 boots with supermarket goods.
__________________
This signature is in memory of vwhobo 03-26-2003 - 04-27-2004
The vwhobo fan club lives on for as long as his e-spirit lurks around these forums.
Late vwhobo fan club members - R34RB30DETTV, SuperJew, Cliffy, STiMan, Satty101, Integra_LS, Karburator, DodgeRida67, Bubba, Importluva and snoopewite - instigator of the unofficial vwhobo fan club
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 12:39 AM   #14
SuperJew
I like pie.
 
SuperJew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Suburbia Central, New York
Posts: 2,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopewite
A "cross-dialect" linguistic turpitude without me involved? That's not bloody reight. A supermarket car park would be a good place to practice in at a quite time when there's not lots of lads and lasses around, filling their car and 4x4 boots with supermarket goods.

TRANSLATION: A "cross-dialect" linguistic turpitude without me involved? That's not f*cking right. A supermarket parking lot would be a good place to practice in at a quite time when there's not lots of people around, filling their car and 4x4 trunks with supermarket goods.

thank you.
__________________


CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 12:41 AM   #15
cmeseadoin
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 596
haha


Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopewite
A "cross-dialect" linguistic turpitude without me involved? That's not bloody reight. A supermarket car park would be a good place to practice in at a quite time when there's not lots of lads and lasses around, filling their car and 4x4 boots with supermarket goods.
__________________
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.