Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2004, 06:49 PM   #1
archangle
CF Enthusiast

which car?

Im getting my first car and my dad and I are going to rebuild the hole car so I can have some mager horsepower(small block 350) to were I still drive it on the street and race it. Now the questain I cannot choose between a 70 camaro and a 67 chevelle.

Last edited by archangle : 03-09-2004 at 07:45 PM.
archangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 06:59 PM   #2
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangle
Im getting my first car and my dad and I are going to rebuild the hole car so I can have some mager horsepower(small block 350) to were I still drive it on the street and race it. Now the questain I cannot chooes between a 70 camaro and a 67 chevelle.

I'd "chooes" the '67...and stay in school!

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 07:08 PM   #3
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Im getting my first car and my dad and I are going to rebuild the hole car so I can have some mager horsepower(small block 350) to were I still drive it on the street and race it. Now the questain I cannot chooes between a 70 camaro and a 67 chevelle.

I'm going to give you some advice. Advice that kids hate to hear.

Do NOT drive a powerful car as your first car unless you've already been racing for years in go karts or junior dragsters. Serious. No matter what you "feel" right now, you do NOT have the skill and matureity to handle "major horsepower."

restore a car like that with your dad for sure, so you have respect for it, and have invested enough sweat equity in it to not take it for granted, but have that as a secondary car. Get a cheap ass beater to start with and get yourself comfortable on the road with making judgements on cornering and stopping. And preferrably, go find a local SCCA chartered club and take autocross instruction. This will give you more car control skills in one weekend (for under $50) than most people get in a lifetime.

I did this with a free Pinto when I was 16. Taught me enough that I bought a '71 Torino GT with a 429 SCJ when I was 17, which I then took to the track.

Trust me, you'll be much better off this way (and maybe even will remain alive.)

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 07:40 PM   #4
archangle
CF Enthusiast

thanx for your help

Last edited by archangle : 03-09-2004 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:51 PM   #5
lectroid
0000?

Quote:
Im getting my first car and my dad and I are going to rebuild the hole car so I can have some mager horsepower(small block 350) to were I still drive it on the street and race it. Now the questain I cannot choose between a 70 camaro and a 67 chevelle.

67 Chevelle, a no brainer for me.

Chrisv just gave you some of the best advice your ever going to get. Just wish I had done that with my kids. Cost me major, major $$$$ and many sleepless nights.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:55 AM   #6
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
I'm going to give you some advice. Advice that kids hate to hear.

Do NOT drive a powerful car as your first car unless you've already been racing for years in go karts or junior dragsters. Serious. No matter what you "feel" right now, you do NOT have the skill and matureity to handle "major horsepower."

restore a car like that with your dad for sure, so you have respect for it, and have invested enough sweat equity in it to not take it for granted, but have that as a secondary car. Get a cheap ass beater to start with and get yourself comfortable on the road with making judgements on cornering and stopping. And preferrably, go find a local SCCA chartered club and take autocross instruction. This will give you more car control skills in one weekend (for under $50) than most people get in a lifetime.

I did this with a free Pinto when I was 16. Taught me enough that I bought a '71 Torino GT with a 429 SCJ when I was 17, which I then took to the track.

Trust me, you'll be much better off this way (and maybe even will remain alive.)
Chris is right, you dont need a powerfull car as your first set of wheels because most young nippers get straight in their first car and drive it like a pleb..I'm not saying you'd be like that but IMO, give a young driver a fast, Powerfull RWD car and it's asking for trouble.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 01:09 AM   #7
SuperJew
I like pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Chris is right, you dont need a powerfull car as your first set of wheels because most young nippers get straight in their first car and drive it like a pleb..I'm not saying you'd be like that but IMO, give a young driver a fast, Powerfull RWD car and it's asking for trouble.

agreed...thats why my dad gave me a Neon instead of his Mustang. his saying is "speed can bite you in the ass if you dont know what you are doing." that is unbelievably true.

ChrisV

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 02:10 AM   #8
archangle
CF Enthusiast

maybe you guys are right about the speed. of the car but what car should I get.?

Last edited by archangle : 03-10-2004 at 02:19 AM.
Old 03-10-2004, 02:16 AM   #9
SuperJew
I like pie.

Quote:
mabye you guys are right about the speed. of the car but what car should I get.?

something not too powerful...maybe like a small SUV (CR-V-esque) or a used sedan, like an accord. something that will get you from point A to point B. period.

Old 03-10-2004, 11:38 AM   #10
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJew
maybe like a small SUV (CR-V-esque)

Why would you recommend something like a CR-V?
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 04:24 PM   #11
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

My suggestion to get for a beater car is something cheap in your area that has at least a tiny bit of aftermarket for it. Hate to say it, but older Civics are good choices (something like a mid '80s Si). Reliable and usefull to take to the track if you want. Older Corollas are good, as are older Neons and Cavaliers (a Neon ACR or Sport, or Cavalier Z24 from the early '90s will get you around, and teach you the basics of car control). then go looking for that Camaro or Chevelle.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 04:34 PM   #12
Car Guy
CF Enthusiast

You should get a 1989 Geo Spectrum all the way Thats what I got for my 1st car 70hp baby
SRT-10
Car Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 10:17 PM   #13
SuperJew
I like pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopewite
Why would you recommend something like a CR-V?

well...because it has the utility of an SUV, it'll last forever, is gas-concious, and is not fast enough to get the driver into any serious trouble like a Camaro or Corvette.

Old 03-11-2004, 10:35 PM   #14
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

We donít know archangel's budget or if he would need an SUV. It does however give him good visibility and other road users can see the learner coming... but then again, I find visibility in an SUV not as good as a car when it comes to parking.

archangel, I can suggest that you consider a 96-99 Honda Civic 1.5 (113bhp) for the same reasons that SuperJew's given, excluding the SUV part. A 2001 or newer 1.6-2.0 16v Ford Focus could also be considered.

What do you think about the suggestions since ChrisV's first post in this thread... apart from what Car Guy said
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 12:34 AM   #15
Car Guy
CF Enthusiast

HEY!!!!.........You have to admit though a 1989 Geo Spectrum is a perfect 1st car for a new driver. it only had a 1.5L 4cyl 70hp So theres not enough power go to fast it's top speed is about 80 and thats if your lucky. It is a 4 door sedan so he can still take friends around. It is easy to put in new parts such as a stearo system for if he wanted better sound. And most of all it is very relable (sp) mine had 175,000 miles on it and it has only broken down once when the timing belt broke.
SRT-10
Car Guy is offline   Reply With Quote