Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2005, 07:24 PM   #1
DT04
CF Newbie

Need some advice, thnx

Hi I am 17 and with help from parents and working money, have 15000 saved up to buy a car. I was thinking maybe a eclipse or lancer and put a body kit on it and paint it black with black rims, but they would still be "ricers." I am looking for a car that has power (no v8) but still looks good and can hold four people. Any suggestions welcome, thanks.
DT04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 08:31 PM   #2
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

that's really not narrowing it down alot, do you want something with 4-doors, 2 doors? what kind of horsepower range?

i could say anything from a nissan sentra to a grand am and technically be able to fit those requirements... do you want an import? european car? domestics ok too?

maybe you want to look at cars that respond happily to mods? maybe you want something that will last 10 years?

i'm just trying to help you narrow it down to what you want in a car, not specifically what car you want.
pik_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 08:37 PM   #3
DT04
CF Newbie

Ya thanks I see what your saying. About the doors, I dont care whether it is four or two, as long as four people can somehow fit into it (not always expecting to have a filled car). And yes it has to last me through college. Due to a recent fatal car accident in the family, my mother has ruled out all v8's but I would still like a car that has fairly high hp (i am not to experienced in the car area, I am just starting to learn, maybe around 200?). More than anything, I just want one that looks sporty if it is a sedan, one that can be modded if it is a sedan, or rugged if it is a truck/suv, and would like to have some good acceleration (parents dont want me to have a stick, but I am trying to talk them into it).

Thanks pik_d
Old 11-18-2005, 08:43 PM   #4
chris945
CF Newbie

Dude I test drove a car day before yesterday that seems to fit what you are looking for. In fact you mentioned it in your original post. Check into the Lancer Evos. The passenger room is certianly there, and the power and speed is DEFINATELY there. I'm not exactly sure how they would hold up through college as I'm not a mitsu expert, but with proper maintence I would guess it would be okay. It is worth checking into. Even though you will still have to finance about $20,000 to get into an Evo as their new price is about $35,000.

Last edited by chris945 : 11-18-2005 at 08:45 PM.
chris945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 08:45 PM   #5
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris945
Dude I test drove a car day before yesterday that seems to fit what you are looking for. In fact you mentioned it in your original post. Check into the Lancer Evos. The passenger room is certianly there, and the power and speed is DEFINATELY there. I'm not exactly sure how they would hold up through college as I'm not a mitsu expert, but with proper maintence I would guess it would be okay. It is worth checking into. Even though you will still have to finance about $20,000 to get into an Evo as their new price is about $35,000.

A lancer EVO is not a car for a new driver...Especially one with only $15k to spend.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 08:46 PM   #6
DT04
CF Newbie

Ya I have looked into the Evos and they seem to very nice and powerful, but then again, I am only in high school and 20k is hard to come by lol, but thanks for your input.

Also does anyone know if an Acura CL Type S would be worth looking into. I was maybe thinking about a black one then spending some money and getting the windows tinted and putting 17' black rims on it.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:59 PM   #7
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT04
Hi I am 17 and with help from parents and working money, have 15000 saved up to buy a car. I was thinking maybe a eclipse or lancer and put a body kit on it and paint it black with black rims, but they would still be "ricers." I am looking for a car that has power (no v8) but still looks good and can hold four people. Any suggestions welcome, thanks.

You have a few options...

If you think you're going to be having more than 2 people in the car a lot times I HIGHLY recommend a four-door, dont bother with a coupe, it WILL get annoying. I just got out of the high school go around where all my friends had coupes (Thunderbird, Grand Am, Explorer Sport, Camaro, Eclipse...2005 Frontier extended cab, four doors but the front had to open for the rears to open and the rear space was EXTREMELY tight) and it was ALWAYS a pain getting in and out constantly when we went out, it got to the point if I didnt have my Accord sedan we always took 2-3 cars. My car always ended up being the "Take 4-5 people" everywhere car when my close friends and myself went out. And it was painless having 4 people in my Accord getting in and out (Each having their own respective doors).

So I recommend these, each have a enough pep for a young driver but can hold four people comfortably, and are all i nyour budget.

1998-2002 Accord EX-V6 sedan (200hp)
2002 Maxima SE (255hp, first year of the 3.5L engine, year before had the 222hp 3.0L)
94-01 Integra GSR Sedan (170hp)
1995/2001 325i (184hp for newer model)
2002-2003 Impreza WRX (227hp)

Want a tank:
95-97 740i/iL (282hp? I tihnk)

~Blow your mind~

Old 11-18-2005, 08:59 PM   #8
Bino
Written Off

Mitsubishi Galant VR4. Predecessor to the EVO. 4G63 drivetrain, AWD, 4WS. They have all the potential of an Eclipse or an EVO (same motor... afterall), but are a fraction of the cost. I've seen a couple for sale with an enormous amount of engine/suspension modifications (still kicking myself for not purchasing one of them), they generally have sold for $7-$9,000.

All of them I have seen have a black leather interior, 5spd, and are either black, white, or charcoal grey.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:00 PM   #9
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Ya I have looked into the Evos and they seem to very nice and powerful, but then again, I am only in high school and 20k is hard to come by lol, but thanks for your input.

Also does anyone know if an Acura CL Type S would be worth looking into. I was maybe thinking about a black one then spending some money and getting the windows tinted and putting 17' black rims on it.

CL Type-S is out of price range, they start at around $19k-$21k.

~Blow your mind~

Old 11-18-2005, 09:02 PM   #10
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Sad aboutthe v8 rule, as a kid can kill themselves in any car: the engine has zero to do with it (and probably zero to do with that particualr incident). hell, kids are dying in 4 cyl cars regularly...

How new does it have to be? there area lot of good cars out there at that price if you're paying cash that acn be fun, practical, reliable, and relatively safe. the older teh car, the less you have to worry about depreciation and losing money. 9and the insurance is less, which is a bonus).

I'd suggest anything from a '98-2000 SVT Contour ($5000-8000) or even a late '80s, early '90s BMW 3 or 5 series. THere was a nice M5 her elocally for sale for $8k, and the money saved could have ben put into insurance, gas, and regular maintenance and it would have lasted you for a decade at least.

But, as your car, you are the one it has to appeal to, so we need to know more about what you want the car to do...

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 09:06 PM   #11
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

this all kind of depends on how much more then the 15k you can spend...

i'd look into an rsx-s, srt-4, gti, sentra spec-v, grand am, eclipse, v6 mustangs or camaro's or s focus SVT...
pik_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 09:17 PM   #12
DT04
CF Newbie

Thnx guys for your help. Ya the 15k is definetly a maximum. I cant really see myself going offroading, I have friends for that, so I think ill stick to sedan type cars.

You all have great suggestions. Overall, like everyone else, want a good quality car that has some power, and looks good.

My origninal idea was to get some type of midsize four door car (ex 325i) and like i previously said, have around 200 hp, and put a body kit on it and paint it black and get matching black rims (my dad has some connections for paint jobs, so there really is no money issue there.)

So i suppose with four doors in mind, any suggestions for a car that would look good with a body kit and has hp, or a car that just looks good as is.(if the body kit idea would turn out to be to much of a "ricer" let me know).

Thanks again
Old 11-18-2005, 11:21 PM   #13
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bino
Mitsubishi Galant VR4. Predecessor to the EVO. 4G63 drivetrain, AWD, 4WS. They have all the potential of an Eclipse or an EVO (same motor... afterall), but are a fraction of the cost. I've seen a couple for sale with an enormous amount of engine/suspension modifications (still kicking myself for not purchasing one of them), they generally have sold for $7-$9,000.

All of them I have seen have a black leather interior, 5spd, and are either black, white, or charcoal grey.

Problem is...finding one, occasionally I'll find 1 within 300 miles of the Atlanta area... But if you can find one, they are definatley great cars, good sleepers (91-92 GVR4).

~Blow your mind~

Old 11-19-2005, 01:20 AM   #14
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:

So i suppose with four doors in mind, any suggestions for a car that would look good with a body kit and has hp, or a car that just looks good as is.
Thanks again

Couple pictures right above. Both are very fun cars that are about half your budget or less (a good SVT would run about a third of your budget...)

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 01:57 AM   #15
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

From what you're saying, it seems like a used SRT-4 would suit you well. The come pretty quick stock, and they have a pretty good aftermarket. As far as the ricer/body kit thing, I haven't seen any cars that look better with body kits to me. IMO they are ricey, unless you are actually going to be racing. Differen't strokes for different folks I guess.

Last edited by giant016 : 11-19-2005 at 02:00 AM.
giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote