Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2005, 05:13 PM   #1
Legion5
CF Enthusiast

Is the millage of a used car really that relevant to it's condition?

Me personaly... I like ridiculously low millage cars. Like under 16k. Thing is, espetialy with cars, 2 to 3 years old, it's hard to find.

So I'm wondering, is the corelation, between millage, and mechanical, and cleanliness condition that great?

I'd say yes, but then I see auto dealers marking up cars that have been cleaned very well upwards of 3 or 4 grand, (these being certified used vehicles, which are already in base price marked up 4 grand for the certification process)...

I do wonder though, you can't clean a car completly, and under those wierd crevices and part intersections, there is bound to be some debris.

I test drove a similar car, and it was equaly well cleaned, but then you open the cup holder, and WHAM, there are chip crumbs in it.

Come on.

-

I'm a very big fan of cars that are impecably clean, and don't have a used feel to the equipment so how long does that new wax coating last?

and how "clean" are these cars really?

The main two brands I'm reffering to are BMW and Mercedes, as I hear their reliability sucks.

Last edited by Legion5 : 11-19-2005 at 05:19 PM.
Legion5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 06:15 PM   #2
DeathGoth
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion5
I'm a very big fan of cars that are impecably clean, and don't have a used feel to the equipment so how long does that new wax coating last?

I doubt you would ever wanna take my car for a spin... HAHA

Anyway No I think it depends more on how well the person took car of the car. I am not refering to the body or inside of a car i am talking taking care of the engine and such.. I have a freind whos car looks like total shit.. But getting down to the endgine trans and so on it runs like a brand new car.. The thing is he has over 250k miles on it.
DeathGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 03:06 AM   #3
adamc44
CF Freak

beleive me, just because a car looks clean doesnt mean its a great car. i detailed cars for almost 3 years. it grossed me out on some of the carpets i scrubbed clean, then dyed with carpet dye. id paint, buff, scrub, touch up scratches. hell, i even went as far as taking silver wheel paint and spraying some aluminum wheels with it since they were all pitted up on an old explorer. there would be cars with maybe half a quart of oil in them and we'd fill them up. im not saying all cars came in this condition, but we def. had are fair share. besides....if i remeber right legion5 havent you been blowin smoke up everyones ass about you buying a mercedes or bmw for a few months now. i thnk your the person im thinkin of.

http://www.myspace.com/adamc44

adamc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 07:10 AM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Different cars wear in very different ways, be it the mechanicl componants or the upholstry. For example, German cars are renound for their build quality and this shows with age and mileage (apart from maybe the cream seat fabrics etc that some are fitted with, which obviously mark...as you'd expect!). Where as the exact opposite can be said for some cheaper korean cars in my opinion.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 10:59 PM   #5
Legion5
CF Enthusiast

there are times when you just want to murder people. This is one of them.

Here's the skinny, who ever said that is the biggest moron and geek ever don't beleive it. I even have pictures of me test driving a benz, with my mom, and of a modena in my hood. Gah.

Then when I get it, I bet he's gona be like, well, it's your own damn fault for being so sketchy. What happened to the good old days when you could kill people?

but I agree with that Cliffy, why else would you see so many used proches. I never see a 91 Civic for sale and people claiming it won't explode.

I mean most cars these days are problem free so I don't expect anything big.

hmmm.
Legion5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 01:40 AM   #6
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Quote:
What happened to the good old days when you could kill people?

Evolution happened and we learned to walk upright.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 02:57 PM   #7
Inygknok
El del Supra

as a matter of fact, mileage honestly doesnt have that much to do with the condition of the car. sure, it does take part, but not all of it. if the previous owner took REALLY good care of the car and gave it plenty of love, u can bet that even if it has a high mileage it's going to run fine.

my car for example. the only thing that was in less than good conditions were the interiors. mainly the steering wheel and the driver's seat. other than that, the engine was given an overhaul (even got all the receipts). the only thing that actually died was the a/c compressor (it happens after 17 years), passenger's power window motor (as if that was important), the alarm system that the guy put into the car (we never figured out why it died), and the stock turbo's bearings wore out (my car's ct-26 tends to fail like that, so i was expecting it).

other than that, he himself told me that he hadnt changed the clutch yet so i could expect it to start slipping if i upped the boost (which i did). so that was my bad.

still, a good previous owner will most surely guarantee that the car will not give that many problems at all.

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote