Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2005, 09:28 PM   #1
DT04
CF Newbie

Quick quetion

I am sure this has been asked before, but i couldnt find a thread for it.

Can someone tell me the difference between v4, v6, and v8? Is it the more cylinders the faster and better acceleration, or does it depend on the size of the car. (I am confused because I see some cars with v4's and more hp than a v6) If someone could clarify that would be great, thanks.
DT04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 09:30 PM   #2
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Double post

Last edited by 99integra : 11-19-2005 at 09:37 PM.
99integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 09:31 PM   #3
99integra
CF's Florida boy

First of all its an I4, the difference between them is the number of pistons, cylinders and displacement mostly
Old 11-19-2005, 09:32 PM   #4
DT04
CF Newbie

Ok, thanks.
DT04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 11:05 PM   #5
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Technically, all that matters is displacment, not piston numbers, but in real life, the more pistons you have, the more power you can generate because;

1. A crankshaft can't take the torque coming from a 20 liter inline 4

2. If you have a V32 that has a bore of 90 millimeters and a stroke of 30 millimeters, each piston will produce around 10 ft-lbs of torque. That brings the total to 320 ft-lbs, and because of the small bore, you can rev the car to around 15-16 thousand RPMs, and make power up there. (provided you have parts that can withstand those revs). So, 15,000 RPMs, and 250 ft-lbs of torque, you get over 700 horsepower. If you have an inline 4 with a bore of 720mm, and stroke of 240mm, you'll get a VERY large amount of torque, but the RPM power-band will be very low (500-2500 RPMs).
--------------------------------------
So, technically, with more pistons, you get more power, but you can't just judge a car's power based solely on that fact. You have to look at piston displacement, overall displacement, air ingestion, bore and stroke, aspiration, etc, etc.

Here's one major fact for you, NEVER use any one fact as a determining factor. No one number or fact means anyting on it's own.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:22 AM   #6
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
First of all its an I4, the difference between them is the number of pistons, cylinders and displacement mostly

Not necessarilly, there have been V4's, we've been through this so many times, but I believe Volkswagen made it in a couple of their cars in the 60's...
Old 11-20-2005, 02:34 AM   #7
Stem
HAHA Im Stem!

ok well im not to smart with under the hood either but i kinda understand it. You can have either a I4 or a V4, there have been V4's. But that means how many cylanders there are and well the more pistons you have pushing the crankshaft the quicker you can move off the line or so.
Stem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 07:31 PM   #8
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Generally speaking, more cylinders=more power. This is not always the case though. Imports (specifically Asian) rarely use V8s. V8s are viewed as overweight gas gusslers to many Import buyers. So companies trying to appeal to the tuner/import crowd make 4 cylinder cars with 8 cylinder power. This is usually done by using turbos. A Suabru WRX STi makes about 320hp with a 4 cylinder engine. A new Mustang makes about the same hp, but it uses a V8. In most cases however, a 4 cylinder engine is used for good fuel economy, and isn't very fast. An 8 cylinder on the other hand is always used as a performance engine nowadays. If a car company makes the same car with 2 engines, the one with more cylinders is always faster. Example= a 2005 Mustang V6 is slower that a 2005 Mustang GT, which has a V8.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 10:48 PM   #9
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT04
I am sure this has been asked before, but i couldnt find a thread for it.

Can someone tell me the difference between v4, v6, and v8? Is it the more cylinders the faster and better acceleration, or does it depend on the size of the car. (I am confused because I see some cars with v4's and more hp than a v6) If someone could clarify that would be great, thanks.

You nearly answered you own query didn't you? As has been stated the number denotes the cylinder count. The rest is just subjective and no hard & fast rules apply.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:13 PM   #10
Inygknok
El del Supra

hm, actually, more cylinders does not necessarily mean more power. it just means more continous firing per revolution. more displacement is the one that should equal more power.

of course, a combination of both will most surely mean more power.

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote