Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2005, 02:24 AM   #1
vspeks
CF Newbie

My car is makes a weird noise...

My car is makes a weird noise when it turns. It makes this knocking noise and it makes me feel like the car is going to fall apart any second. I asked some people about it and they said it might be the C.V. joint but they weren't completely sure. Any suggestions on what it is? Also, if it is the C.V. joint, any idea on how much that thing would cost to repair at an repair shop? I gotta 92 civic dx if that helps. Thanks.
vspeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 05:46 AM   #2
coleman_name
CF Newbie

dude! sounds like you're about to sling a rod. Get that thing in the shop and i mean fast. If you sling a rod, that engine is done. Trust me. Good luck.
-Coleman
coleman_name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 07:04 AM   #3
vspeks
CF Newbie

Crap! Thanks for the heads up. Im glad I didn't ignore that noise like I was thinking of doing. I just spend about 200 on my car on new stuff too. That would have been a devastator for sure... Im hoping its not too much to fix. Any ideas on how much it would cost to fix?
Old 11-19-2005, 07:11 AM   #4
Wally
I Know More Than You

If it knocks as your turn, chances are you have either a worn CV or a broken engine mount.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:24 AM   #5
vspeks
CF Newbie

Sweet! Just what I wanted to hear
Old 11-22-2005, 07:49 PM   #6
Matt4895
CF Newbie

hope this helps

Yeah sounds to me like a CV joint. If it is it would most likely sound more like a loud clicking than a knock. When your in park at idle or reving the engine does it sound ok? If so its probably not the engine especially if it sounds fine going strait. It could possibly be a motor mount but I doubt it. Anyway, look at the rubber boot things encasing the CV joints. If they are torn and you can see inside I will almost guarantee thats your problem. In this case I would recomend just geting a whole new axle instead of trying to replace the CV joint. Thats what I did because it would have cost more for the part and labor time to do. If you have enough experience with cars, you could probably easily replace this yourself. Take the wheel and axle nut off and unbolt the hub assembly. Use something like a flat pry bar or something to pull the axle out of the transmission. Don't just pull from the middle because you will pull the other CV joint apart (dosn't much matter if your junking that part anyway, just makes more work). You might also want to put a pan down under the tranny to catch anything that comes out. Then just put your new axle back in and bolt it all back together. I would suggest lostening the axle nut first before you do anything while the wheel is on the ground. If you choose to take the wheel off first, you will have to have someone hold the break so you can get the nut off, assuming you didn't pull the breaks off yet. Anyway, good luck to you and be sure to write back and let me know how it went.
-Matt-
Matt4895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 07:58 PM   #7
Matt4895
CF Newbie

Oh, by the way....

Oh yeah and by the way, the axle for your car will probably be somewhere around 100 bux, but dont forget to save your old axle....take it back and get the core charge back....they will tell you what it is when you buy the part......here, <Link Removed> try going here and look for the part... maybe that will help.
-Matt-

Last edited by Cliffy : 11-22-2005 at 08:57 PM.
Matt4895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 08:04 PM   #8
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleman_name
dude! sounds like you're about to sling a rod. Get that thing in the shop and i mean fast. If you sling a rod, that engine is done. Trust me. Good luck.
-Coleman
Don't scare the crap out of people just because you want to throw in your 2 cents. Thanks for trying, but if you don't have a clue, get one before trying to give it away.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:13 AM   #9
vspeks
CF Newbie

Alright, one of my friends dad is a mechanic so hes gunna look at everything for me free of charge. He might even replace whatever I need. Oh yea, and matt, The car runs well when its moving straight, but when it turns that knocking/clicking noise happens. I dunno, I'll let you know how it comes out. Thanks for all the advice guys.