Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2004, 05:02 PM   #1
Alison
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1
Unhappy My freelander is struggling up hills

Hello
Can any one advise me on what my be wrong with my land rover freelander. I was driving yesterday and I noticed a vast differance is the cars ability to get up hills. I was having to go down to 2nd gear to climb hills that I normally go up in 4th or even 5th with a good run at it. When I geared down to 2nd it started to pull but it sounded as it the engine was working to hard and the rev counter was getting rather high but as soon as I went up a gear it could not maintain the speed.
Today it seemed a little better on hills but still overall when I am driving I have to put my foot down harder to maintain speed at 50mph that what I would normal have to and it did not feel very smooth.
A friend has checked the plugs and says that they are OK. Any suggestions on what the problem could be would be appreciated.
I know these cars are known for the head gaskets going (mine was replaced 15 months ago) that is what is worrying me. Could that be the problem?

Alison
Alison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 08:23 PM   #2
drek1
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1
Smile Freelander struggling

Hi,
This may be the start of your fuel pump going. I had experiance with water damage ( driving through floods not recommended) and was left with some water having entered the air intake, exhaust and just about everywhere bar the inside if the cabin ( those seals all held ).One problem I saw was losing engine power at the most unpredictable times, usually when I was going uphill.Later after a full breakdown due to no power at all, I was told that water in the fuel tank had made a clog that caused the fuel pump to go. Nw you may not have the water damage, but loss of power is always one of three things - 1. No spark (Plugs or battery or fuse), 2. No air (filter needs change/clean or air intake bloked or exhaust holed and not allowing air pressure build up), 3. No fuel fuel line blocked or insuficient fuel reaching engine).
Having said all this I suggest you start with the cheapest and easiest maintenance.
1. Charge your battery and also either change spark plugs or remove and scratch the ends after cleaning of grease/dirt.
2. Change or clean air filter.
3. Hope you don't get this far , but if you do, take car to dealer and have chip read to verify engine sump issue.
PS from experiance these things are cheaper if fixed quickly..Don't wait until the bang...
drek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 08:19 PM   #3
Matt4895
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York....in the shed in my back yard.
Posts: 24
Hope this helps...

I wouldn't so much worry about your battery right now.....try checking your air filter.....if it looks real dirty, you should get a new one anyway weather it fixes the problem or not because you'll still get better gas mileage and still get a little more power. If thats not the problem, take it somewhere and have your alternator checked. They will most likely test your battery anyway because alot of times its the same tester. If your alternaters bad then that could be your problem. Your plugs may not be firing as often as they should which whould rob you of power. Another sign of this is that you might notice that your headlights are not as bright as normal....probably a weak alternator. If thats still not the problem, then check your fuel preassure. You say the rev counter was geting high, how do you mean that....when in gear, the engine runs faster but your speed remain the same? If this is your problem, its probably a bad clutch. Thats just an idea though because you didnt really give me enough info to determine if thats a high possibility though. Post another reply with some more details and maybe I can help you a bit more.
-Matt-
Matt4895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 08:22 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by drek1
Hi,
This may be the start of your fuel pump going. I had experiance with water damage ( driving through floods not recommended) and was left with some water having entered the air intake, exhaust and just about everywhere bar the inside if the cabin ( those seals all held ).One problem I saw was losing engine power at the most unpredictable times, usually when I was going uphill.Later after a full breakdown due to no power at all, I was told that water in the fuel tank had made a clog that caused the fuel pump to go. Nw you may not have the water damage, but loss of power is always one of three things - 1. No spark (Plugs or battery or fuse), 2. No air (filter needs change/clean or air intake bloked or exhaust holed and not allowing air pressure build up), 3. No fuel fuel line blocked or insuficient fuel reaching engine).
Having said all this I suggest you start with the cheapest and easiest maintenance.
1. Charge your battery and also either change spark plugs or remove and scratch the ends after cleaning of grease/dirt.
2. Change or clean air filter.
3. Hope you don't get this far , but if you do, take car to dealer and have chip read to verify engine sump issue.
PS from experiance these things are cheaper if fixed quickly..Don't wait until the bang...
I just saw this for the first time and had to laugh. Based in this theory;
Quote:
Originally Posted by drek1
exhaust holed and not allowing air pressure build up
all I should have to do is stick a potato in my exhaust pipe and it'll increase my power. Somehow I think not.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 08:25 PM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt4895
I wouldn't so much worry about your battery right now.....try checking your air filter.....if it looks real dirty, you should get a new one anyway weather it fixes the problem or not because you'll still get better gas mileage and still get a little more power. If thats not the problem, take it somewhere and have your alternator checked. They will most likely test your battery anyway because alot of times its the same tester. If your alternaters bad then that could be your problem. Your plugs may not be firing as often as they should which whould rob you of power. Another sign of this is that you might notice that your headlights are not as bright as normal....probably a weak alternator. If thats still not the problem, then check your fuel preassure. You say the rev counter was geting high, how do you mean that....when in gear, the engine runs faster but your speed remain the same? If this is your problem, its probably a bad clutch. Thats just an idea though because you didnt really give me enough info to determine if thats a high possibility though. Post another reply with some more details and maybe I can help you a bit more.
-Matt-
1. Read your reply again and then remove all of it that is mindless blather. There won't be much left.

2. The original poster hasn't been around for over a year. I doubt you're going to get any further info from her.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 10:04 PM   #6
Matt4895
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York....in the shed in my back yard.
Posts: 24
Dude you really need to stop being such a wiseass.....your just going to start pissing people off, so why dont you just give you opinion on the situation, and keep your opinions about other peoples replys to yourself because its really begining to get iritating.
Matt4895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 10:06 PM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt4895
Dude you really need to stop being such a wiseass.....your just going to start pissing people off, so why dont you just give you opinion on the situation, and keep your opinions about other peoples replys to yourself because its really begining to get iritating.
Yeah, I care alot about pissing people off. Especially stupids like you.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 10:49 PM   #8
Matt4895
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York....in the shed in my back yard.
Posts: 24
ya know you just talking shit about everything someone says that you dont like just makes you one of those "stupids" whatever the hell thats soposed to mean. anyway, im not going to keep siting here wasting my time talking to you because apparently your to ****ing dense to understand and accept anything anyone says especially to you. i really feel sorry for you considering the fact that you have to talk shit to and about people to make yourself feel good about yourself. have a nice life
Matt4895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 10:51 PM   #9
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt4895
ya know you just talking shit about everything someone says that you dont like just makes you one of those "stupids" whatever the hell thats soposed to mean. anyway, im not going to keep siting here wasting my time talking to you because apparently your to ****ing dense to understand and accept anything anyone says especially to you. i really feel sorry for you considering the fact that you have to talk shit to and about people to make yourself feel good about yourself. have a nice life
Does that mean you won't be spreading your own special brand of bullsh*t around here anymore? Perfect... and thanks.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.