Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2005, 08:42 PM   #46
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry55
Hi my name is Frank. I am 17 and I live in Miami, Fl with my girlfriend and her mom. When I moved in her mom just bought a new Honda Accord and decided to give her 1994 Chevrolet Caprice Classic to us. Since we didn't have enough money to buy anything else, we took it without a second look. Now we share the car. But it came with alot of problems. Her mom told us about the car before we got in it. She told us that the car would often die in the middle of the road. If you drove it over 60 it would overheat quickly and begin to smoke, it would stall alot, etc. I fixed what I could and took the rest to a mechanic. I drove it around for a week to make sure the car was working properly. Then 2 weeks later my girlfriend calls me saying that the car died in a parking lot and she couldnt get it going again. I replaced the battery and there werent any problems till 4 days later when I tried to start it up one morning and all it did was click. The car continues to be this way. I need to know what is wrong with the car, if i can fix it myself or if i have to take it in to a mechanic or if I have to buy a new car.
Anyway...
My vote goes to a parasitic load. Something may be draining the battery as it sits. However, my first recommendation for course of action is to go to Advance Auto or Auto Zone or whatever and have a free analysis of your charging system done. If it checks OK, I'm going to make my theory of a parasitic load a definate possibility and tell you to proceed with a multimeter to find it.

P.S Even when it seems to make a lot of sense to replace a battery, always have it tested first. It's usually free, so why not.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:45 PM   #47
Matt4895
CF Newbie

Ok wonderful....PROBLEM ****ING SOLVED.....he already replaced the battery so it cant be that.....either its a bad connection or bad alternator.....who the **** cares.....he dosn't HAVE to have it tested.....make sure all the connections are good, if it shuts off when the battery is disconnected the alternators shot. Even if its working but puting out less voltage than its soposed to, ITS STILL SHOT!!!
Matt4895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 08:52 PM   #48
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt4895
Ok wonderful....PROBLEM ****ING SOLVED.....he already replaced the battery so it cant be that.....either its a bad connection or bad alternator.....who the **** cares.....he dosn't HAVE to have it tested.....make sure all the connections are good, if it shuts off when the battery is disconnected the alternators shot. Even if its working but puting out less voltage than its soposed to, ITS STILL SHOT!!!
NEVER EVER disconnect a battery while an automobile is running. Do you not know a big purpose of a battery is to stabilize the system's voltage? Stupid, stupid, stupid.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:10 PM   #49
Matt4895
CF Newbie

Mainly your right, but you can disconnect the battery for a couple seconds without doing damage to the vehicle.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:12 PM   #50
Matt4895
CF Newbie

Especially with older vehicles it dosn't matter. You can jump the vehicle and run it without a battery at all. Trust me we've all done it many times before and have never had any problems.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:18 PM   #51
Matt4895
CF Newbie

Alternators are also equiped with a built in voltage regulator which also contains a current limiting circuit which prevents damage when an overload is placed on the output of the regulator.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:55 PM   #52
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
ok well for one Matt you really are digging youself a hole here, the people that actually have knowledge are shaking their head reading your posts so please just stop. and never ever disconnect the battery when the car is running, if you truly believe this is a way of diagnosing anything you dont belong anywhere near cars, and should be fired from your job. and 2. go back to school or read a book because your very ignorant.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:20 PM   #53
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt4895
Ok you hobo piece of shit.....before you start correcting people about things like this that you obviously know nothing about, maybe you should look some stuff up before you do so. ........... -Matt-

You know, even though you are expressing your anger at VWhobo, your first sentence makes it very difficult for members like me to post anything contrary to his or anyone else's opinions, for fear of fueling similar outbursts.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:36 PM   #54
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Actually VWHobo, while you are correct that the battery does supply current for starting and extraordinary loads, the alternator is the primary power source.

Why you question? Well I'm glad you asked. In simple terms current flows due to potential difference= voltage in this case. The alternator generates a voltage higher than the battery thus electron flow is biased towards the alternator from both the battery and the other electrical loads. If the duty on the alternator causes the output to drop below the battery voltage, the battery will take the lion's share of the load. See Kirchoff's Law for more thrilling insights into current flow.
Well Wally, I'd like to blast you, call you names and question your ancestry along with showing you sources that say you're wrong. And even though I could, the problem with that is that it would be disingenuous of me to do so. The fact is that I can find substantial reputable information to support both sides of the argument. And very honestly the error of how I represented my side has already been covered by BanffAutoSpa_ap and 67Coronet383 and oddly enough unlike some other people on this forum, I'm able to learn from my mistakes instead of denying them. In reality the entire electrical system, with the engine running, is powered by whichever power source is best able to carry the load whether it's the battery or the alternator.

As for our little friend in the shed who wants to claim experience and credentials, anytime you want to put up or shut up, just let me know Twinkie.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 12:39 AM   #55
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
ok well for one Matt you really are digging youself a hole here, the people that actually have knowledge are shaking their head reading your posts so please just stop.
That's pretty much what I was doing ... it's a pretty simple DC circuit ... with 2 voltage sources. One gets its energy from a reaction, the other from the motion of the engine. Obviously the battery will wear down without the alternator, because the battery source is not self-sustaining, whereas the alternator is (if you remove petrol from the equation). But is it not possible that the battery powers everything, and the alternator powers the battery? I'm not saying that it happens like that, but you've done nothing to prove otherwise.

I'm with Wally and the Hobo on this one ... it depends on "whichever power source is best able to carry the load whether it's the battery or the alternator" [Hobo, 2005]