Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2005, 07:31 PM   #1
Metzger
CF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 137
1991 GMC Sierra

I know this isn't the spot for trucks, but since that truck link at the bottom is pretty much a joke I figured I'd post it here. I'm looking into buyin' my old GMC Sierra back from a kid who has probably ran it somewhat hard. The truck originally had a 305 in it, but he blew it up and dropped a rebuilt 283 into it. I am not familiar with trucks that well and I was wondering how good of an engine the 283 is, and if the truck would be worth buying back.
Metzger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 07:42 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metzger
I know this isn't the spot for trucks, but since that truck link at the bottom is pretty much a joke I figured I'd post it here. I'm looking into buyin' my old GMC Sierra back from a kid who has probably ran it somewhat hard. The truck originally had a 305 in it, but he blew it up and dropped a rebuilt 283 into it. I am not familiar with trucks that well and I was wondering how good of an engine the 283 is, and if the truck would be worth buying back.
He put a 283 in it? Did he convert it from F.I. a carburetor? Unless it's a professionally done conversion or you can get it REALLY cheap and aren't afraid to maintain/repair/live with this Frankenstien engine combo, I'd steer clear of it. Something else you need to consider is if it will pass any type of inspection you have in your state either now or in the future.

Just out of curiosity, do you know why he put a 283 into it? I mean 305's are growing on trees and a 350 will also slide right in. The whole thing just doen't compute.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 07:50 PM   #3
Metzger
CF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 137
He did convert it to carb... he didn't drop a 350 in it b/c he couldn't afford it.. or so he says.
Metzger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 07:54 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metzger
He did convert it to carb... he didn't drop a 350 in it b/c he couldn't afford it.. or so he says.
350's are cheap and 283's are cheaper... Because for the most part nobody wants them, for good reason. Unless the job was done right it'll probably be more hassle than you want to deal with, unless the $$$ makes it more acceptable.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 07:58 PM   #5
Metzger
CF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 137
Well he's asking 2000 for it..
Metzger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 08:02 PM   #6
glagon1979
daddy x3
 
glagon1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: back in Williamson, NY
Posts: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
350's are cheap and 283's are cheaper... Because for the most part nobody wants them, for good reason. Unless the job was done right it'll probably be more hassle than you want to deal with, unless the $$$ makes it more acceptable.

just out of curiousity, why doesnt anyone want the 283? whats wrong with them?
__________________
this forum is to dead to share a cool sig with everybody....
glagon1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 08:08 PM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metzger
Well he's asking 2000 for it..
You've got one too many zero's on that price. I just got this truck for a tow away, and although it needs a little work it's a way better deal than that.

__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 08:10 PM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by glagon1979
just out of curiousity, why doesnt anyone want the 283? whats wrong with them?
Because you can build/rebuild a 350 for less money, make more power, have better parts availability and have a stronger crank all in a package that fits in the same place.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 08:24 PM   #9
glagon1979
daddy x3
 
glagon1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: back in Williamson, NY
Posts: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Because you can build/rebuild a 350 for less money, make more power, have better parts availability and have a stronger crank all in a package that fits in the same place.

im not saying you are wrong in any way, but isnt a chevy 302 a 283 with a 327 crank? they proved to be one of the best engines chevy ever built, right? by the way, why did they stop production of the sbc 302?
__________________
this forum is to dead to share a cool sig with everybody....
glagon1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 08:27 PM   #10
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by glagon1979
im not saying you are wrong in any way, but isnt a chevy 302 a 283 with a 327 crank? they proved to be one of the best engines chevy ever built, right? by the way, why did they stop production of the sbc 302?
No, the 302 may have been one of the coolest and most storied engines they ever made, but certainly not the best. They stopped production because they didn't need to build them anymore for homologation into the TransAm series and because... wait for it... They weren't a very good engine.

EDIT. I just caught this. The 302 is a 327 with a 283/265 crank.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993


Last edited by vwhobo : 11-25-2005 at 08:33 PM.
vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 08:43 PM   #11
glagon1979
daddy x3
 
glagon1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: back in Williamson, NY
Posts: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
No, the 302 may have been one of the coolest and most storied engines they ever made, but certainly not the best. They stopped production because they didn't need to build them anymore for homologation into the TransAm series and because... wait for it... They weren't a very good engine.

EDIT. I just caught this. The 302 is a 327 with a 283/265 crank.

thanks for clearing it up. i see where you are comming from on the 350 subject. i've built plenty of them with 400+hp for less than $1000, and im sure you have as well. deffinatly a cheap engine to build. i wish the big blocks were as cheap though
__________________
this forum is to dead to share a cool sig with everybody....
glagon1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 08:54 PM   #12
Metzger
CF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 137
Well as it stands my choices are the above mentioned Sierra... or a lowered Sonoma with the 4.3 L in it
Metzger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 01:03 AM   #13
dodger65
I know more than Wally...
 
dodger65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: U.S. - Midwest
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
You've got one too many zero's on that price. I just got this truck for a tow away, and although it needs a little work it's a way better deal than that.


i need some deals like that, 'cause i totally need that body... (the truck body, perverts... )
__________________
"Everyone is someone else's weirdo"

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 03:54 AM   #14
Metzger
CF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 137
Quick question.. I currently have a 98 Isuzu w/ the 2.2 I4 .. should I:
A) Swap w/ the 4.3 and go that route
B) Get the Sierra or Sonoma
C) Drop a 350 into it
Metzger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 04:03 AM   #15
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metzger
Quick question.. I currently have a 98 Isuzu w/ the 2.2 I4 .. should I:
A) Swap w/ the 4.3 and go that route
B) Get the Sierra or Sonoma
C) Drop a 350 into it
D) Buy a Dodge.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.