Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2005, 08:49 PM   #1
vlc92189
CF Newbie

srt-4 vs rsx type-s

Ok, i know this is probaly a neuisance thread, but i searched on here and havent foount them two being compared yet. so heres how it iss.. i was looking at both cars, clearly the srt4 is much quicker, but it also has something the rsx dont. turbo. noww whati m saying is, what would u buy?? i know srt4 quicker but ive heard since its still a dodge.. or neon.. it will eventually fail, and i want something fast to start out with, something that will last, and something to put aftermarket parts on, ex. header, exhaust, intake, cams, ect.. that will give it the more hp n torque. but why spend all this money on the rsx type s when the srt4 has all of this? anyway, what are your guys or girls opinions on this?
vlc92189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 09:18 PM   #2
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlc92189
Ok, i know this is probaly a neuisance thread, but i searched on here and havent foount them two being compared yet. so heres how it iss.. i was looking at both cars, clearly the srt4 is much quicker, but it also has something the rsx dont. turbo. noww whati m saying is, what would u buy?? i know srt4 quicker but ive heard since its still a dodge.. or neon.. it will eventually fail, and i want something fast to start out with, something that will last, and something to put aftermarket parts on, ex. header, exhaust, intake, cams, ect.. that will give it the more hp n torque. but why spend all this money on the rsx type s when the srt4 has all of this? anyway, what are your guys or girls opinions on this?

If you want space and speed go with the SRT-4. If you want a finely tuned vehicle, that's precise in everything and has a nice interior, the RSX-S is your choice. I personally wouldn't get the SRT-4 because simply I dont like how Neons look, they dont appeal to me. But if they appeal to you, go for it! Obviously the SRT-4 will also yield more power/dollar in mods as it is turbocharged.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 09:44 PM   #3
nsupra27
CF Enthusiast

I'd go with the SRT-4, cheaper, much faster, and both will be reliable brand new, you normally don't get problems for awhile with a new car, unless it had some kind of problem from the factory, which is why you have a warranty.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:18 PM   #4
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Having personally driven both vehicles, in stock form and slightly modified here is my review:

The SRT-4 is fast....DAMN fast. That thing surprised the hell outta me when I drove it, I had raced a bone stock one before, and beat it...But by only a car length. So I knew they would be fast, but driving it, It puts a smile on your face, as the boost comes you get pushed farther and farther back in your seat and your mouth cant help but twitch into a grin. They also have AMAZING capabilities for upgrading, you can buy a 30 dollar wastegate spring for them, and gain 5 psi outta the turbo. And I personally think they look great, a nice aggresive, almost musclecar like stance. I dig on the scoop and wing also, aggresive but not Ricer big.

Now thats all fine and dandy, but when your not just flooring the shit outta it, or when your turning the wheel, things tend to go downhill. The interior is plasticy and weak. And it handles like a truck, they understeer like madmen and are constantly burning out/torque steering while in turns.

Plus I hate the gearbox, but thats just personal.

All in all, I like their speed but, I dont think they are even close to nice comfy daily drivers, and are not well balanced at all.

Now as for the RSX-S, I F'ing LOVE these cars, They handle like a dream. They are very complient and will accelerate through a turn without biting back. They understeer a tad, but its not bad at all, nothing you would notice unless you're a nerd like me, or are going to the track every weekend. The power is decent, It doesn't push you in your seat like the SRT, but it accelerates very well because of great gearing. This is the main weakpoint of these cars, they are lacking in torque.

The cockpit is very nice, It all forms to you, all the gauges, radio dial, and controls are pointed right at your face. The gear bos is amazing, very precise, very short throw, feels almost s2000 like.

So all in all, If your after a beast-like (especially from a roll) torque monster who eats tires (and e36 M3's in a straight) for lunch after about 200 bucks in mods, then go for the SRT. But if your after a comfortable, sexy, stylish and good all around car, get the RSX-S(my pick).
Old 11-22-2005, 02:52 AM   #5
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Here are a couple of the main points from reviews on the cars...
Get ready...cause it's pretty long ...and I had to type it
The SRT-4
The numbers bore this out: Its 0-60 time of 5.9 seconds, and 1/4 mile in 14.5 seconds at 98.4 mph. It was enough to beat the Ion Redline by .3 seconds...The SRT-4 delivers a firm ride without huge handling benefits. Understeer was the rule of the day...the direction changing ability of the car firther compromised by numb steering. It's BFGoodrich three-season tires didnt react well to the abuse or the heat, as they started throwing off chunks of rubber...But the SRT-4 suffers from a slightly mushy prdal and a tendency for rear wheel hop under heavy breaking at the end of Buttonwillow's fastest straight. The SRT-4 managed lap times 2 seconds better than the Redline. The SRT-4 put huge time on the Ion in two areas: every straightaway-where I could look in the rearview mirror and see Sean Bailey get smaller--and on the exit of the newly repaved Off-ramp corner, where traction is at a minimum.. Here, the SRT-4's Quaife LSD helped put its immense power down while the Ion would just spin it's right fron tire wildly. The steering wheel is a bit big, and the seats lack the lateral support of the SRT-4. It's loud and it's raw, just like muscle cars used to be. The suspension is a bit raw.
The SRT-4 wins that comparison

RSX-S

Is a thoroughly clean and composed. A classic example of good taste in the modernistic idion. Yet the RSX also shows the limitations of this restrained approach, because ot looks a bit like a bar of soap that has been passed through the hands of one too many focus groups. The Type-S model, freshened for 2005, adds some much needed character whit a new chin spoiler, headlights, trimmed in black, revised taillights, a new rear bumper, and a spoiler on the deck lid. The Acura RSX Type-S has a;; the rightness of a small car from honda, and you can feel it as soon as you're behind the wheel. in fact, the RSX feels even smaller than it looks, although a hatchback gives the car an extra dimension utuility. The interior is very well done in the modern style, while the cockpit controls are artfully formatted to make the driving experience as intuitive as possible. For all that, however the RSX is simply too ntents to drive slowly. The 2.0 liter engine has to climb to 7800 RPM to deliver all the goodness of its 210 hp and while this is not bad in theory, the unmusical thrashing beneath the hood isn't inspiring even though new accoustic installation takes the edge off the unpleasentness. The Type-S rides well on smooth pavement, but the bumps will send unhappy jolts though the stiffly sprung short travel suspension. It gets annoying on long trips...

The RSX won that one

I'd take the RSX, but I'm just biased towards them, due to their handling, and N/A (more power potential)...
But both cars are very nice
Old 11-24-2005, 02:22 PM   #6
vlc92189
CF Newbie

all in all.. it seems like u guys like both cars, both cars are greatt. but one more question, since i haerd the rsx has a k series motor, if u put a turbo on that bad boy then it'd blow the srt4 away? is this true?
Old 11-24-2005, 03:48 PM   #7
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

It could but you will void the warranty, which is one of the main benefits of buying a new car that is rapidly depreciating.

I agree with the above reviews, with one exception. If the car is understeering heavily on teh street, you are driving it too hard. And if you are driving it hard, it's easy to drive in such a way that you turn the understeer into oversteer. I can do this on my stock PT. And only the '03s burn out in corners. THe '04s and up have teh LSD and put the power down quite nicely. Turn on traction control, and it gets better (though not as much fun). the stock tires DO suck. I'd change them (but i think that about ALL stock tires, which are compromises). And besides a couple bucks in turbo upgrades that don't void teh warranty, you can put a larger rear swaybar on the car to kil off the initial understeer. And a swaybar definitely does not void the warranty.

I like the RSX, and it is definitely the better daily driver, more refined car, and I think it looks good. But if I'm looking for a sport sedan or sport coupe, my emphasis will always be on the sport, as I can drive something else if I want to be coddled or practical. The SRT-4 is a better performance car wth HUGE potential.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 04:56 PM   #8
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

I forgot to mention that, thanks for reminding me chris. The really great thing about the SRT-4 is that you can get up to Stage 5 mopar upgrades from the factory......Although, only up to stage 3 is covered by waqrranty, but stage 5 is a race car anyway, Its called the SRT-4 Lightweight for a reason, there is no carpet, and no backseats, no doorpanels, not even a shift boot.

EDIT:
Also, I dont think they actually give out the stage 5 to customers anyway. But I know for a fact I have seen reviews of it in a few magazines.

As for the tires, you have the option of getting the car with BFGoodrich TA-KDWs, and those tires are the shit, amazing summer tires, great wet traction, and they still have a compound that doesnt turn to cement in the cold. They are true all season performance tires.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:04 PM   #9
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Heres a review of the stg 3, which once again is still covered under warranty

"The Mopar Performance Stage 3R Turbo Upgrade Kit ($4199) turns the already fast SRT-4 into a racing machine. The 3R adds some manual tools that takes the car to another level. There is a control to spray the intercooler, change boost levels and a switch to change to high octane mode. On 93 octane, the SRT-4 cranks out 310 hp and 325 lb-ft. Hit the switch and stop by the racetrack for some 100 octane those numbers jump to 355 hp and 365 lb-ft. Very cool."

Yes, you read correct 355 and 365. That should put you close to 0-60's of 4.9~4.8....Sexy.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:22 PM   #10
vlc92189
CF Newbie

ok so im gonna talk to m uncle bout cars today.. but the way it seems like.. srt-4 faster, cheaper in parts ( remeber im a highschool kid that has a job making lk 200 evert other week) but i do have some money that im willing to put into the car.. and i want the car to be fast, no not for the street, but i wanna be known at track , or just around. i personally dont like the whole " neon " thing, and i always heard good things about acura.. but thanks everyone it seems like more people lean towards the srt-4.