Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2005, 12:19 AM   #1
kelleyrichard
CF Newbie

Check eng light on

My car all of a sudden started missing. Around 1 minute later the check eng light came on. Before the light came on I though it was the plugs (because they have not been changed in 50k miles). Would they make the light come on though?

Thanks
kelleyrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 01:35 AM   #2
97Talonchik
discombobulated

#1) This would probably get more responses in Repairs/Maintenance section.

#2) You may want to check the code the check engine light threw out, that will most likely tell you what is wrong.

#3) Car make, model, year please so that we may provide you with the most accurate information in regards to your issue.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 01:35 AM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleyrichard
My car all of a sudden started missing. Around 1 minute later the check eng light came on. Before the light came on I though it was the plugs (because they have not been changed in 50k miles). Would they make the light come on though?

Thanks
Maybe, maybe not.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 01:40 AM   #4
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleyrichard

Thanks

As previously stated, pull the codes. To add to that... just some advice. It doesn't ever do any good to guess at what's wrong with a vehicle. It's always best for your time and money's sake to properly diagnose the issue directly and then and only then to take the appropriate actions to fix the trouble.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:12 AM   #5
kelleyrichard
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Coronet383
As previously stated, pull the codes. To add to that... just some advice. It doesn't ever do any good to guess at what's wrong with a vehicle. It's always best for your time and money's sake to properly diagnose the issue directly and then and only then to take the appropriate actions to fix the trouble.

I am going to go and test it tonight. A auto supply store will let anyone borrow a tester for free. I found the diagnostic port under the hood of my 98 kia sephia. Do I just plug it in there with the car running?
kelleyrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 05:48 AM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
OBD2 Diagnostic ports are not under hood
We've already established the fact that they don't know what their looking at here.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 03:59 PM   #7
Drwatson
CF Newbie

Thumbs up missfire

I had a missfire on my 96 vectra(Rip),and it woulnt pass the smoke test.It turned out to be a pinhole in the exaust.Even the local expert was stumped for a while.
Btw i payed 35 quid for a Vauxhall code reader and it turned out to be no more than a simple rocker switch in a fancy box.
Drwatson is offline   Reply With Quote