Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2005, 12:37 AM   #1
chris_knows
๑۩۞

GM Plant Closing

Is this old news? I just heard the St. Catherines or somewhere near plant is closing...which is pretty close to Windsor, and both my parents work for GM so...
Old 11-22-2005, 01:39 AM   #2
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Is this old news? I just heard the St. Catherines or somewhere near plant is closing...which is pretty close to Windsor, and both my parents work for GM so...

This was coming sooner or later, I saw it on CNN headline news the other day, GM is laying off 30,000 employees and shutting down about a dozen plants. In June of this year GM said it would only cut 25,000 jobs, but...seems they needed more. They the closings and job cuts will save GM $7 billion a year.

Here's the story...
http://money.cnn.com/2005/11/21/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes

Sorry if your mom and dad get affected by it, but when worse comes to worse GM has to make drastic decisions to make more REVENUE. In the first three quarters of this year they already have lost $2.2 billion. They say by the end of 2006 Toyota will easily take over as the #1 world automaker (taking over GM's reign of 70+ years). GM's stock was at its lowest ever this year.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 02:04 AM   #3
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
This was coming sooner or later, I saw it on CNN headline news the other day, GM is laying off 30,000 employees and shutting down about a dozen plants. In June of this year GM said it would only cut 25,000 jobs, but...seems they needed more. They the closings and job cuts will save GM $7 billion a year.

Here's the story...
http://money.cnn.com/2005/11/21/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes

According to the link, Windsor plants aren't closing down, but there's a good bit nearby that will...
I guess GM brought it upon themselves though, as they didn't compete with the Asian cars' efficiency. Hopefully they'll get back on their feet

Thanks for caring, but it looks like it will be okay
Old 11-22-2005, 06:08 AM   #4
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

I know a BUNCH of people who work at GM (family and friends family). I was told that your alittle safer if you've been there longer also, because they may buy you out or whatever (offer about 3/4 or your pension total, if close to 30 years of work), or you may be laid off for at most about 60 days until they find an opening at another plant (again, depends on amount of years worked there).

That's about what I heard (atleast I'm sure that's what I was told).

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote