Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2005, 10:45 PM   #1
cccpdraco
CF Newbie

Driving Manual Cars

Is it hard?? I just recently bought a manual civic SiR and having it deliverd in about 2 weeks. Which only gives me a couple of days to learn how to drive stick. Is it hard/complicated?? I sersiouly dunno 2 shits about manual cars/clutches and all that sorts..Whats the learnin curves on how to effectivley drive manual cars if I take a few lessons. Alot of my friends say its easy but after readin some online tutoriols is seems really hard. Im a very good driver in general but never tried to drive a manual transmission car.
cccpdraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 10:50 PM   #2
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpdraco
Is it hard?? I just recently bought a manual civic SiR and having it deliverd in about 2 weeks. Which only gives me a couple of days to learn how to drive stick. Is it hard/complicated?? I sersiouly dunno 2 shits about manual cars/clutches and all that sorts..Whats the learnin curves on how to effectivley drive manual cars if I take a few lessons. Alot of my friends say its easy but after readin some online tutoriols is seems really hard. Im a very good driver in general but never tried to drive a manual transmission car.
If reading what instructions avaliable to you on the web isn't help, and you have friends that know how to drive a vehicle with a manual transmission, it's as simple as having one of them teach you.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:52 PM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

I simply can't comprehend not knowing how to drive a car with a manual transmission.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 10:57 PM   #4
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
I simply can't comprehend not knowing how to drive a car with a manual transmission.
To my own mind, me neither, really. Although I do know a few people that can't, and a few that can but not properly. I was 14 when I learned. I had just finished installing a new clutch on an '82 Chevy C-10 Custom Delux, learned on the test drive. Obviously if you can replace a clutch you get the idea of what you need to be doing, it was just a matter of practice, which quickly becomes second nature.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:01 PM   #5
newyorker
MXman

Pracitce makes perfect in this area. Reading and watching videos will give you a basic insight and some idea of how its done, but untill you sit down and practice, you wont be able to do it. Best idea if you are just learning, get a car for like $500, so if you break the tranny or clutch, you wont be afraid to toss it away. Start in parking lots, because its easiest with no distractions. You should grasp it in 2 days or so. Took me 2 hours to learn.
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 11:02 PM   #6
Vlad
CF Addict

Like he said, just get a friend to show you what you're supposed to be doing. Its not too hard, you'll probably get it down after a few tries.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 11:03 PM   #7
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Pracitce makes perfect in this area. Reading and watching videos will give you a basic insight and some idea of how its done, but untill you sit down and practice, you wont be able to do it. Best idea if you are just learning, get a car for like $500, so if you break the tranny or clutch, you wont be afraid to toss it away. Start in parking lots, because its easiest with no distractions. You should grasp it in 2 days or so. Took me 2 hours to learn.
Did you buy a car for $500 to learn in or did you decide that is a stupid idea and is only good for people that aren't you?
Old 11-22-2005, 11:04 PM   #8
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Coronet383
Did you buy a car for $500 to learn in or did you decide that is a stupid idea and is only good for people that aren't you?
No I didnt. My friend taught me on a prelude. I dont understand how its a dumb idea. You get a cheap car, and if you end up killing the tranny somehow (expensive repair), you just get another one.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:09 PM   #9
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Quote:
No I didnt. My friend taught me on a prelude. I dont understand how its a dumb idea. You get a cheap car, and if you end up killing the tranny somehow (expensive repair), you just get another one.
Accidents happen, yes. However unless you are too stupid (not you) to listen and follow instructions well enough that you tear up a vehicle, you shouldn't be driving in the first place. I don't know anyone that has torn up a vehicle learning to drive a manual transmission (although it happens), but what I'm saying is it's $500 wasted. For $500 you can have lessons if you so please. The best idea is to have a friend or anyone who knows what they're doing teach you how to do it properly, and follow their instructions carefully. If you're smart enough to learn, you should be atleast smart enough to learn the right way. Just a thought.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:12 PM   #10
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Accidents happen, yes. However unless you are too stupid (not you) to listen and follow instructions well enough that you tear up a vehicle, you shouldn't be driving in the first place. I don't know anyone that has torn up a vehicle learning to drive a manual transmission (although it happens), but what I'm saying is it's $500 wasted. For $500 you can have lessons if you so please. The best idea is to have a friend or anyone who knows what they're doing teach you how to do it properly, and follow their instructions carefully. If you're smart enough to learn, you should be atleast smart enough to learn the right way. Just a thought.
Depends on your budget and travel needs as well. If you are just learning and only need to get to school like 5 miles one way, then a $500 car should be fine.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:16 PM   #11
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Quote:
Depends on your budget and travel needs as well. If you are just learning and only need to get to school like 5 miles one way, then a $500 car should be fine.
Well with that logic you might as well save your money and shoot for an automatic transmisson.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:48 PM   #12
97Talonchik
discombobulated

I think the hardest part of a manual is getting it to go once you start it. Once you practice that and get it down pat, the rest will be easier to learn. I agree about taking it to a parking lot and practicing. Be prepared for a lot of bucking and don't get discouraged! OH, and I would avoid heavy traffic until you get that starting from a stop thing down, lol, trust me.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 12:22 AM   #13
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Well with that logic you might as well save your money and shoot for an automatic transmisson.
But if you really want stick and have no money nor need for a better car, thats the move to make. At least what I would do.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:36 AM   #14
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
the bit I can't comprehend is how you can order a manual car without knowing how to drive one .... musta been an interesting test drive.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:08 AM   #15
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
the bit I can't comprehend is how you can order a manual car without knowing how to drive one .... musta been an interesting test drive.
ive always wanted to take a test drive of a car that i couldnt drive. see the look on the dudes face when youre going 60 on the highway and tell himt hat you dont know how to stop a car on stick and theres a traffic jam ahead