Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2004, 06:24 AM   #1
CypherXero
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 7
Nissan 240SX problems. Help!

I've been having this really odd problem with my 1993 Nissan 240SX SE. I'll be driving the car down the road, when all of the sudden my gas pedal will stop responding, and my steering wheel locks up and will only move slighty left or right. Warning lights on the dash show up, the oil light, battery light, and the brake light. To correct the problem, I have to stop my car (most of the time IN the road, which is really bad), put the car in park, turn off the ignition, and start it back up.

I have no idea what this is, and I was wondering if anyone could help me. Since this has happened over the past few days, I've put in some STP Gas Cleaner, Super Premium gas (OC93), and filled my oil up. Also, my battery isn't very old, either.

Help would be appriciated. Thanks.
CypherXero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 06:37 PM   #2
cmeseadoin
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 596
Ok,

Don't take this the wrong way as me not trying to help you, BUT.......You need to take that car in and have it looked at. That is EXTREMELY dangerous and I certainly hope you are not driving it on the road like that. The accidents you could cause with a situation like that, I can only imagine. You need to get that fixed and I don't think it will happen fast enough on a car chat forum. Personally, I have never seen that issue with any car. I am going from what you told us it is doing. I know quite a bit about cars but this one is something I would have to see and troubleshoot myself.

I don't thing STP, premium gas, nor a battery will resolve the issue.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CypherXero
I've been having this really odd problem with my 1993 Nissan 240SX SE. I'll be driving the car down the road, when all of the sudden my gas pedal will stop responding, and my steering wheel locks up and will only move slighty left or right. Warning lights on the dash show up, the oil light, battery light, and the brake light. To correct the problem, I have to stop my car (most of the time IN the road, which is really bad), put the car in park, turn off the ignition, and start it back up.

I have no idea what this is, and I was wondering if anyone could help me. Since this has happened over the past few days, I've put in some STP Gas Cleaner, Super Premium gas (OC93), and filled my oil up. Also, my battery isn't very old, either.

Help would be appriciated. Thanks.
__________________
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 06:55 PM   #3
Zaran Zion
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3
I cant say much but as cmeseadoin said get that looked at sounds link you enging is stuffed up big time!
__________________
Zaran Zion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 11:37 PM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Obviously I'm with the other guys on this one in that you HAVE to get it looked at ASAP! But.....when you say the steering moves only slightly from side to side do you mean that no matter how hard you try the wheel wont go any further? the reason I ask is simple....I'm assuming due to the age and model of your car you have Power Assisted Steering? (PAS) if you do have PAS and the whell will turn with a lot of effort it could be that the car is stalling whilst moving meaning nothing is working and this would aslo mean that the PAS wouldn't opperate, PAS is extreamly heavy to opperate without the engine running due to the pump not working and so on...also, if this is the case all of your ignition lights will also illuminate as they do when you first start the engine or if you turn the ignition key to the first setting...So if this is the case, chances are it's purely an engine/ignition fault.

I hope this helps but I'd highly urge you not to use the car and have it towed to a garage!

Last edited by Cliffy : 03-10-2004 at 11:40 PM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 11:52 PM   #5
cmeseadoin
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 596
Geneous of the day....possibly????

Cliffy,

I just read that dude's posting again and I think you might have it knocked, LOL. That is a very likely scenario and I did not post it because SURELY we would all like to think that the poster of this message would have told us that the ENGINE WAS CUTTING off had that been the case. He said, rather, that the only way to get rid of the problem was to stop in the middle of the road and turn off the IGNITION (not mentioning if the engine was running or not still), then restart....as in it was still running fine. I TOTALLY overlooked that scenario because if the problem IS in fact what you told him.......CYPHERXERO is a total for not TELLING us that. I love these generic non-specific postings. Cliffy, I think you solved the problem.........CYPHER, let us know please....then we'll go on with WHY the engine is stalling if that is the case. Of course, we'll need to make an agreement that from now one we'll be told EXACTLY everything that is occurring and that the most IMPORTANT details are not left out to assumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Obviously I'm with the other guys on this one in that you HAVE to get it looked at ASAP! But.....when you say the steering moves only slightly from side to side do you mean that no matter how hard you try the wheel wont go any further? the reason I ask is simple....I'm assuming due to the age and model of your car you have Power Assisted Steering? (PAS) if you do have PAS and the whell will turn with a lot of effort it could be that the car is stalling whilst moving meaning nothing is working and this would aslo mean that the PAS wouldn't opperate, PAS is extreamly heavy to opperate without the engine running due to the pump not working and so on...also, if this is the case all of your ignition lights will also illuminate as they do when you first start the engine or if you turn the ignition key to the first setting...So if this is the case, chances are it's purely an engine/ignition fault.

I hope this helps but I'd highly urge you not to use the car and have it towed to a garage!
__________________
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 01:54 AM   #6
CypherXero
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 7
OK, I had one of my mechanic friends take a look at it (sorry for being such a newbie with cars, I am, however, good with a computer, I'm an IT Admin major in college)

My friend looked at the car, and we found out it's a bad rotor, and we need to replace it. We also replaced the distributer, spark plugs, and the gas filter.
CypherXero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 02:48 AM   #7
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by CypherXero
OK, I had one of my mechanic friends take a look at it (sorry for being such a newbie with cars, I am, however, good with a computer, I'm an IT Admin major in college)

My friend looked at the car, and we found out it's a bad rotor, and we need to replace it. We also replaced the distributer, spark plugs, and the gas filter.
So it was cutting out? and the steering did move more, but it was difficult? surely the dizzy and rotor wouldn't cause the stalling..the fuel filter would though!
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 03:42 AM   #8
lectroid
0000?
 
lectroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Redneck Hillbilly Heaven
Posts: 1,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by CypherXero
OK, I had one of my mechanic friends take a look at it (sorry for being such a newbie with cars, I am, however, good with a computer, I'm an IT Admin major in college)

My friend looked at the car, and we found out it's a bad rotor, and we need to replace it. We also replaced the distributer, spark plugs, and the gas filter.

Well then, can you tell me why on my task bar, it appears to have another task bar hiding behind it? It's barely visable, though at times it will obstruct the pop-up text when you scroll across the programs running in the task bar. Doesn't seem to be a problem, but is bugging the crap out of me. It was not always there and I can't recall when it appeared. WinXP SP1
__________________
Life is not a bitch, it just came with the package. [IMG][/IMG]
Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.
lectroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 02:27 PM   #9
cmeseadoin
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 596
Cliffy I think we'd better give up on this one. None of our questions got answered and the problem's "fix" seems to not match the problems "description" too closely. usually the rotor or anything distributor wise will not cause stalling. It could cause backfiring, loss of power, hard starting, intermittent misfires or multiple cylinder mis-fires, etc. We'd need a better answer from the poster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
So it was cutting out? and the steering did move more, but it was difficult? surely the dizzy and rotor wouldn't cause the stalling..the fuel filter would though!
__________________
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 03:20 PM   #10
CypherXero
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lectroid
Well then, can you tell me why on my task bar, it appears to have another task bar hiding behind it? It's barely visable, though at times it will obstruct the pop-up text when you scroll across the programs running in the task bar. Doesn't seem to be a problem, but is bugging the crap out of me. It was not always there and I can't recall when it appeared. WinXP SP1

Right-click on the taskbar and select "Lock the Taskbar"

As far as the car situation goes, here's exactly what was happened when I drive it:

The gas pedal would stop responding, the steering wheel would still turn, but it took more effort to turn it, like the power steering stopped working, one the dask, the brake, battery, and oil lights came on. The only way to start going again would be to put it in park (or neutral), turn off the ignition, and start it back up again. The engine wouldn't completly stall on me, when this would happen, I could still hear the engine idling.

My mechanic friend said that the distributer cap and the rotor looked pretty bad, and that could most likely be the problem. We also changed the gas filter just incase. We ordered the new rotor, and it should be in the store today, so that's the last thing we need to replace.

I hope I've given you enough information, but if I haven't, I am sorry, since I don't know enough about cars.
CypherXero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 03:21 PM   #11
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur
 
snoopewite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: England
Posts: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by lectroid
Well then, can you tell me why on my task bar, it appears to have another task bar hiding behind it? It's barely visable, though at times it will obstruct the pop-up text when you scroll across the programs running in the task bar. Doesn't seem to be a problem, but is bugging the crap out of me.

I just wish terrible things like that would bug the crap out of me, I might feel a lot better. Someday, I'm sure this will really effect me

Ha
__________________
This signature is in memory of vwhobo 03-26-2003 - 04-27-2004
The vwhobo fan club lives on for as long as his e-spirit lurks around these forums.
Late vwhobo fan club members - R34RB30DETTV, SuperJew, Cliffy, STiMan, Satty101, Integra_LS, Karburator, DodgeRida67, Bubba, Importluva and snoopewite - instigator of the unofficial vwhobo fan club
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 03:25 PM   #12
cmeseadoin
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 596
Hey,

You're cool..we like picking at people but your posting was definitly a little opaque. If the engine is not stalling completey, it could almost stall and yet not cut off and the dash lights could still come on due to this..then return to a normal idle or not. Oil pressure would have dropped, etc....so therefore some of your dash instrumentation may illuminate. A degraded rotor and other distributor based igniton components may be the culprit, very possible. With what you've done with it, you'll have to wait till you get the new components installed and then go from there. Let us know.



Quote:
Originally Posted by CypherXero
Right-click on the taskbar and select "Lock the Taskbar"

As far as the car situation goes, here's exactly what was happened when I drive it:

The gas pedal would stop responding, the steering wheel would still turn, but it took more effort to turn it, like the power steering stopped working, one the dask, the brake, battery, and oil lights came on. The only way to start going again would be to put it in park (or neutral), turn off the ignition, and start it back up again. The engine wouldn't completly stall on me, when this would happen, I could still hear the engine idling.

My mechanic friend said that the distributer cap and the rotor looked pretty bad, and that could most likely be the problem. We also changed the gas filter just incase. We ordered the new rotor, and it should be in the store today, so that's the last thing we need to replace.

I hope I've given you enough information, but if I haven't, I am sorry, since I don't know enough about cars.
__________________
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 03:38 PM   #13
cmeseadoin
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 596
Snoop

Snoop,

I have been meaning to ask you what that girl on your avatar is doing? It looks like she's gonna suck a big one?
__________________
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 03:49 PM   #14
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur
 
snoopewite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: England
Posts: 782
cmeseadoin, it is sexually suggestive but it also appears like she's looking at whatever's above my posts. See, she's looking at your post right now.
__________________
This signature is in memory of vwhobo 03-26-2003 - 04-27-2004
The vwhobo fan club lives on for as long as his e-spirit lurks around these forums.
Late vwhobo fan club members - R34RB30DETTV, SuperJew, Cliffy, STiMan, Satty101, Integra_LS, Karburator, DodgeRida67, Bubba, Importluva and snoopewite - instigator of the unofficial vwhobo fan club
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 04:40 PM   #15
cmeseadoin
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 596
OHHHHH OH OHHHHH.....so does this mean "she" might wanna foshissle my nisshle?


Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopewite
cmeseadoin, it is sexually suggestive but it also appears like she's looking at whatever's above my posts. See, she's looking at your post right now.
__________________
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.