Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2005, 12:52 AM   #1
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Delimma about my cars

Well, I've been thinking a lot lately and I really need to free up some cash since as almost all college students, I'm getting poorer and poorer. So what I think I'm going to do is sell both of my cars and get one car to replace them. The car I already decided on is the 2006 Civic Si w/o navi. I make very long road trips often now (Baton Rouge - Atlanta; about 5-6 times a year) and gas is still pretty crazy, especially when putting it in my 300ZXTT which gets pretty poor mileage compared to my Accord. I wanted something sporty, but also roomy enough for luggage/stereo equipment and the new Si fits the bill. It has a big enough trunk for what I need (although I'll seriously have to downsize on my subwoofers, Maybe run two ported 8's; anywho, have to grow-up at some point) and is sporty enough to have fun in. The backseats are definatley usable for two people. I've checked everything out already in person on an EX coupe (same thing as an Si except obviously the Si is tuned completely different and has a different powertrain). This way I only pay insurance on one car, gas one car (that gets decent enough mileage) and have a car that integrates my Accord and 300ZXTT enough into one car. I have no idea what to sell my Accord for. Probably $3000 to a kid who wants all the stereo stuff with it or $1750 w/o any stereo stuff. The 300ZXTT I already got an excellent offer on, which was $19,500. So I really can't pass that up. This way I won't have a car note, just worry about the insurance and gas (And of course mods). So anyways, I haven't fully decided this yet, just thought I'd share to see what you guys think (plus the Si doesnt come out for another few weeks).

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 01:26 AM   #2
chris_knows
๑۩۞

I'd find it very hard to let go of a car...especially two, but I've never had to, so I don't know, but if you want a Civic Si...go for it I guess.

For the Accord, I think you could get a bit more for the sound system...so IMO you should wait for a better offer, but the 3000ZXTT sounds pretty solid at $19,000, but it's up to you...

Good luck on whatever option you go for
Old 11-25-2005, 03:18 AM   #3
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Wow, what idiot would pay 19k for a 92 300ZX TT? Good shit for you, I guess.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:47 AM   #4
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

-

All depends on you, none can really say for sure. It is a very hard choice. But I'd prolly say get the new Si.

Where you live again? If you decide to do it I might be interested in the Accord for 3k. Otherwise I'll prolly go after a 300ZX myself, nowhere near around 19,5 tho.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 04:50 AM   #5
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
Depending on how many miles were on it, I might.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:40 AM   #6
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27

It has about $9k of mods thrown into it. Bought it last year with about 80k miles on it for a little over $10k and it's like brand new, the most mint 300ZXTT I have ever seen, except for a neighbors 95 SMZ 300ZXTT (420hp stock, he had his optioned for 470hp) which he sold with 27k miles on it for $34k+ a few years back. It's worth at least $15k-$16k. But yeah, when he said $19,500 I flipped.

~Blow your mind~

Last edited by thunderbird1100 : 11-25-2005 at 06:43 AM.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:44 AM   #7
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
All depends on you, none can really say for sure. It is a very hard choice. But I'd prolly say get the new Si.

Where you live again? If you decide to do it I might be interested in the Accord for 3k. Otherwise I'll prolly go after a 300ZX myself, nowhere near around 19,5 tho.

Right now I'm in Atlanta for Thanksgiving but will be back at my real address in Baton Rouge on Monday. So, nowhere near Ohio really.

~Blow your mind~

Old 11-25-2005, 07:09 AM   #8
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Sounds like a pretty mature decision to me. When I got my license I was all about driving and having a car, but 5 years, and 4 cars later, I don't even want one. I still love em, but they're so expensive. My main concern is living within biking distance to work and losing the car.

I say go for it.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:12 AM   #9
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
Right now I'm in Atlanta for Thanksgiving but will be back at my real address in Baton Rouge on Monday. So, nowhere near Ohio really.

True I am living in maryland right now though, visit Ohio sometimes.

"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Old 11-25-2005, 07:16 AM   #10
Vlad
CF Addict

Sounds like a though choice. But if you're set on the Si, and need to free up some cash from the insurance and gas, go for it. I'm assuming the insurance will be cheaper on the Si then on the 300ZXTT? If you get 19k for the Z, then you'd be set cuz you wouldn't have much or any to pay out of pocket for the Si. You said u'r set on the Si, but what I would consider is getting maybe a slightly used car for like 10-15grand, and u'd have the extra money for whatever you need, and if you don't need it, then you can get quite a bit of mods for your car for 5-10k.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 07:19 AM   #11
Mathew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad
Sounds like a though choice. But if you're set on the Si, and need to free up some cash from the insurance and gas, go for it. I'm assuming the insurance will be cheaper on the Si then on the 300ZXTT? If you get 19k for the Z, then you'd be set cuz you wouldn't have much or any to pay out of pocket for the Si. You said u'r set on the Si, but what I would consider is getting maybe a slightly used car for like 10-15grand, and u'd have the extra money for whatever you need, and if you don't need it, then you can get quite a bit of mods for your car for 5-10k.

Yeah but he could finance the Si anyway, if he doesnt have the remainder, and still come out a winner, assuming he's still working...
Old 11-25-2005, 04:43 PM   #12
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad

Used car is out of the question, I want brand new, something I know that WILL be maintained well and be extremely reliable, with a used car, you just never know...Only reason I bought the 300ZXTT is because I knew for sure it was maintained and babied (knew the guy that sold it to me sort of). The insurance on the Si I got to be $950/ 6 months which is better than the $1100/6 month i pay on my 300zxtt and definatley better than the combined $1750/6month I pay on both cars. I think the only mods I'll be doing to the Si are bolt-ons, nothing major, no forced induction. IT's a daily driver that's meant for a little fun, nothing that will kill the engine quicker, or get substansially worse gas mileage. I'll just probably get the HFP package which includes 18" wheels/tires, suspension work and body work. And then get a Hondata ECU, CAI, Header, cat-back, cam gears, pulleys and probably the most extreme mod I'll do is IPS cams. Probably get around 260-270hp N/A.

~Blow your mind~

Old 11-25-2005, 09:58 PM   #13
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Update: I went today to a local dealer and put my name down for a gray/blk Si. I think I'm going to go through with it. Each dealer is getting ONLY 6 Si's and my local dealer already has sold 2 of its, they arrive in a few weeks. So hopefully I'll love it. Paying MSRP (zero options), no suprise there, no one is getting any of these for under MSRP, a lot of people who pre-ordered them a while back paid a few thousand over msrp.

~Blow your mind~

Old 11-26-2005, 04:23 AM   #14
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
Update: I went today to a local dealer and put my name down for a gray/blk Si. I think I'm going to go through with it. Each dealer is getting ONLY 6 Si's and my local dealer already has sold 2 of its, they arrive in a few weeks. So hopefully I'll love it. Paying MSRP (zero options), no suprise there, no one is getting any of these for under MSRP, a lot of people who pre-ordered them a while back paid a few thousand over msrp.

Nice, what options are you getting on the vehicle? What will it come equipped with?

Old 11-27-2005, 07:01 AM   #15
Mathew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
Nice, what options are you getting on the vehicle? What will it come equipped with?

He said zero options...